Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What national guards like?
I was thinking about going in to the Reserves. But with 2 kids and married, well, 2 kids I would miss them dearly the wife maybe. Big Grin
ITs not like when i was younger and left for the Navy. I was wild, reckless and didnt have responsibility. But I feel like I want to go, Im bored with the day to day.
Anyway my point is if i go in with say 90 credits i heard they can place you in OCS. But this is not an easy task to complete anyway because it requires much strength training. Again im in my early 30's which brings me next to boot. Arent the Drills going to have a field day. I remember in the Navy boot they ripped on this 30 something guy. But then again he looked like he escaped from the loon bin.
How long are rotations over in Afghanistan?
What can I do with 90 credits in there or even a BA if I dont go through OCS?
I tried to get 68w or x but they didnt have them. They wanted me to go 11b i think it was something infantry. Mind you that I had to google that shit up. Because the recruiter wont mention infantry. You infantry men are a special breed. Not me, not at this age atleast.
I know with so many doubts I should not do it. But something keeps reaching me to do so.
What do you all think?
[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]"Oh, get a job? Just get a job? Why don't I strap on my job helmet, and squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into job land, where jobs grow on jobbies!" Its always sunny in Philadelphia.

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]tesc credit banked
FEMA IS courses- alot

Aleks completed-many of them

Cleps:Spanish 67

Associates in psychology UOP
TESC BA in psychology[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

attempting currently
Masters in counseling
If you enlisted in the Army Guard/Reserves 15 years ago, your entire service obligation could very well consist of nothing more than the usual "one weekend a month" and "two weeks a year" routine. It was a good way for young students to pay for college and post-retirees to play soldier while earning an extra paycheck with minimal risk of life or limb. The thought was that the active-army would be at the forefront of conflict and the reserves would be the rear echelon or backup if ever needed.

The times have changed. The Army Guard/Reserves of today is a proof-of-concept that was envisioned by the Pentagon 15 years ago...to place more responsibility on the reserve components during international conflicts while preventing burn out of the active-duty forces. Enlisting nowadays (especially as 11B - Infantry/Grunt) would buy you a guaranteed ticket overseas to the sands of Iraq/Afghanistan. The recruiter insisting that you enlist as 11B is proof of this...11B is a critical shortage MOS that is needed right now.

With you being in your early 30s with a wife and kids, I would suggest you think carefully about the reasons why you want to enlist. Weigh the pros and cons....because you'll surely have more to worry about than a hard-ass drill sergeant ragging on your age. I served 8 years active-duty army...Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
nj593 Wrote:I was thinking about going in to the Reserves. But with 2 kids and married, well, 2 kids I would miss them dearly the wife maybe. Big Grin
ITs not like when i was younger and left for the Navy. I was wild, reckless and didnt have responsibility. But I feel like I want to go, Im bored with the day to day.
Anyway my point is if i go in with say 90 credits i heard they can place you in OCS. But this is not an easy task to complete anyway because it requires much strength training. Again im in my early 30's which brings me next to boot. Arent the Drills going to have a field day. I remember in the Navy boot they ripped on this 30 something guy. But then again he looked like he escaped from the loon bin.
How long are rotations over in Afghanistan?
What can I do with 90 credits in there or even a BA if I dont go through OCS?
I tried to get 68w or x but they didnt have them. They wanted me to go 11b i think it was something infantry. Mind you that I had to google that shit up. Because the recruiter wont mention infantry. You infantry men are a special breed. Not me, not at this age atleast.
I know with so many doubts I should not do it. But something keeps reaching me to do so.
What do you all think?

OCS isn't too bad..its officer basic.. you get a lot more respect in OCS than you do in Navy boot camp. you can also prob do state ocs which is one weekend a month. Bootcamp is hard for anyone going in at a late age, but be sure you have to do boot camp again. You might want to consider the air force reserve/air national guard in that you won't have to do boot camp over.

With 90 credits you might still be able to pull of a direct commission.

Direct commission officer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

if anything i would suggest u take a look at intellignence positions, or combat support. infantry is tough and prob not in your interest these days. anyway, all the best....
DSST Environment & Race to Save Humanity *  51/80 Clep CIS  63/80
College Math  66/80 * DSST Business Law II  -  No Pass
Principles of Mgmt  61/80 * A/I Lit  51/80 retest 61/80
Social Sciences and History -  66/80  -  A * Freshman Composition  -  60/80
Intro to Computers  426 -Current System - p/f = pass * Intro to Modern Middle East Studies -  61/80
Human Cultural Geography  -  61/80 * US History I  - A   -61/80
US History II - A  68/80 * Civil War  -  A   57/80
Intro to World Religions  - A  68/80 * Intro to Bus Law -  64/80    A
Public Speaking 55/80  A * MIS 429/500 * Statistics 459/500 * MacroEconomics  57/80
MicroEconomics   53/80 (ran out no money in meter) * Criminal Justice 418/500
English Comp with Essay 58/80 * Personal Finance 406/500 (Ran thru IC once & test once... 40 minutes/98 questions.. close call) 
Principle of Supervision -  436/500 * Clep American Government 67/80  
FEMA's Completed - 49 (sorry i'm addicted to them).

BA - Criminal Justice - Central State University
AAS - Computer Science - TESU
AAS - BOG - Info Tech - Pierpont
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member
Ok the Guard isn't too bad but if you started off talking about missing your kids and all, then you probably will. Thats just the truth. I am an 11B, yes it is Infantry, (light Infantry). There are other Infantrymen as well, such as an 11C (indirect fire infantrymen) meaning you are Infantry but you also shoot mortar rounds. I came from active duty into the guard. I am now an instructor in my home state full time. I love the Army and when I'm done next year with my guard contract I will probably go back to active duty. OCS or Officer Candidate School would make you a 2nd lt. After OCS you would have to go to BOLC (Basic Officer Leader Course) 1 and 2. I think BOLC 2 is 5 weeks and BOLC 3 is 12 weeks. This is to teach you your actual job. This would depend on what you decided to branch i.e, medical, Infantry, supply, whatever. In the guard you have to have at least 60 hours to go to OCS and that would be a traditional program where it would be going to OCS drills for about two years. If you have 90 hours you could go through the eccelerated program that is 8 weeks. A direct commission will not happen for you unless you have significant Army experience, you have already compleated the Warrior Leader Course, and you are finished with your degree. If you need anything else just let me know. OH deployments will be a year total with pre-mob training and de-mobilization included. That is better than active where it is 12 months in country. I got back from Iraq in December so if you need anything let me know.
brandob21 Wrote:Ok the Guard isn't too bad but if you started off talking about missing your kids and all, then you probably will. Thats just the truth. I am an 11B, yes it is Infantry, (light Infantry). There are other Infantrymen as well, such as an 11C (indirect fire infantrymen) meaning you are Infantry but you also shoot mortar rounds. I came from active duty into the guard. I am now an instructor in my home state full time. I love the Army and when I'm done next year with my guard contract I will probably go back to active duty. OCS or Officer Candidate School would make you a 2nd lt. After OCS you would have to go to BOLC (Basic Officer Leader Course) 1 and 2. I think BOLC 2 is 5 weeks and BOLC 3 is 12 weeks. This is to teach you your actual job. This would depend on what you decided to branch i.e, medical, Infantry, supply, whatever. In the guard you have to have at least 60 hours to go to OCS and that would be a traditional program where it would be going to OCS drills for about two years. If you have 90 hours you could go through the eccelerated program that is 8 weeks. A direct commission will not happen for you unless you have significant Army experience, you have already compleated the Warrior Leader Course, and you are finished with your degree. If you need anything else just let me know. OH deployments will be a year total with pre-mob training and de-mobilization included. That is better than active where it is 12 months in country. I got back from Iraq in December so if you need anything let me know.

I am a 1LT/02E in the National Guard but spent 9 years on active duty enlisted. The above information is correct and you should not have to go through Army boot camp. You can be commisioned if you have 90 semester hours of college. Direct commissons are reserved for specialty branches like JAG, medical, etc. What branch you are commissioned into depends on the needs of your state? You have to be commissioned into an available position per paragraph and line number. If you have any more questions just send me a email.

Allen

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  National University Alpha 0 1,385 04-29-2021, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  S.A.L.U.T.E Veterans National Honors Society 1SGM 17 7,876 05-27-2017, 08:50 AM
Last Post: mrskitty
  Columbia College or National University dwilson 8 2,950 06-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Last Post: B Smith
  Army National Guard.... Lydia 22 5,498 06-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Last Post: CLEP101