Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What % of people finish?
For high schoolers, it's up to the parents most of the time to ensure their children get the credit necessary. I always personally was with my children when they met with the school counselor. I always mentioned AP, CLEP, DSST, and others that they could take while in school. Before the last one graduated in the 2018 year I pushed them to be ahead of their peers and it works well.

I have given talks at my kid's school and have even discussed this with students. There is just a general lack of interest and we have UAF and they also accept allot of ACE here. The universities and colleges don't have an incentive at all since they figure they will lose money.

If the parents have not taken the time to learn what has changed and what is available most high schoolers won't even begin to look. This is a culture problem in my opinion and most may think it is too much work. One of my sons and I will test out again next week but I am leading the way and showing them by example. I push, prod and try to motivate them with the idea of tremendous cost savings. they are collecting money and saving for their Masters so this helps me push them. This is coming from a Dad helping and pushing them each and every day.

P.S There are lurkers here that have used this to take action but will never say a word. They have their reasons and I can respect that.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
Most kids' parents have never been to college, so expecting them to know about alternative sources of credit is unrealistic.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I dont think that will change. Like vetvso said, colleges have no incentive to let you know about these sources of credit, it profits them more to keep you in the dark.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(12-03-2018, 03:35 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: I dont think that will change. Like vetvso said, colleges have no incentive to let you know about these sources of credit, it profits them more to keep you in the dark.

At colleges, usually only the registrar's office and testing center know what CLEPs are. Considering that my professors didn't even know who accredits our school,  I doubt many of them know about alternative sources of credit other than AP exams. 

Hundreds, maybe even thousands, of schools accept 30-90 transfer credits. Other than quality concerns, it makes no difference if those credits are from another college or from a test company.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
@sanatone you're wrong. I think it does make a difference, colleges price based on prices of other colleges among other things, and also people generally avoid the hassle of doing credits at another school if they are enrolled in a program at their college.

Lets say we have two schools A and B. A is AMU (for-profit online) and B is a reputable brick and motor school I am currently enrolled in.

If I had a choice of paying 810 at A vs paying 3000 a course at the college I am enrolled in school B, I will choose the college I am enrolled in, so my college will not lose and I dont mind since its going to my student loans anyways.

If however you tell me school B also accepts a $49 dollar 3 credit course then I may start to think and school B loses.

It sounds hypothetical but its the reality 99% of the time, if students are accepted into a school it is unlikely they will look somewhere else for credits.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(12-03-2018, 04:39 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @sanatone you're wrong. I think it does make a difference, colleges price based on prices of other colleges among other things, and also people generally avoid the hassle of doing credits at another school if they are enrolled in a program at their college.

Lets say we have two schools A and B. A is AMU (for-profit online) and B is a reputable brick and motor school I am currently enrolled in.

If I had a choice of paying 810 at A vs paying 3000 a course at the college I am enrolled in school B, I will choose the college I am enrolled in, so my college will not lose and I dont mind since its going to my student loans anyways.

If however you tell me school B also accepts a $49 dollar 3 credit course then I may start to think and school B loses.

It sounds hypothetical but its the reality 99% of the time, if students are accepted into a school it is unlikely they will look somewhere else for credits.

Many students transfer from cheaper community colleges. Universities don't have to accept their credits or make articulation agreements, but they do. 

CLEP and DSST can help improve on-time graduation rates and overall graduation rates. Low graduation rates are more harmful to a school than CLEP.

Accepting CLEP is voluntary. If schools were really afraid of CLEP, all they would have to do is stop accepting it. They don't even have to offer it at their testing center.

I think I've found the answer to why colleges are more accepting of AP exams than CLEPs. I already knew that AP exams are harder, but I think the issue is that CLEPs do not have associating classes. Whether or not you agree that there should be a quality of education concern, it is there. This is why many prestigious schools will accept AP exams and not CLEP or DSST. The passing scores on CLEPs are based on what a "C" student would get after taking a class.

Quote:Dawnette Cigrand, the school counseling Program Director at Winona State University, said she can see the appeal of trying to keep college costs down. But she's troubled about what's lost.

"Thinking of education as just credits that they just need to check off their list, that's a little disconcerting to me," she said. "I would argue that just because you can pass the test doesn't mean that you have mastered that subject area."

http://www.startribune.com/tests-allow-a...288161251/
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
It's just my opinion but I think all schools work toward you getting financial aid now. When I was paying for my boy's tuition in cash; they were not supportive and the system for me to do so was outdated and it took extra time. So my guess is they the school is addicted to the government money. So I now use the system for how they have it designed and just rotate the government money around and end up spending the same. Everyone is happy and my family no longer stands out as the oddball cash paying customer. We also get more scholarships as well now since we seemed to have been excluded before even though they claim we weren't.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
[-] The following 1 user Likes vetvso's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(12-03-2018, 08:29 AM)vetvso Wrote: It's just my opinion but I think all schools work toward you getting financial aid now. When I was paying for my boy's tuition in cash; they were not supportive and the system for me to do so was outdated and it took extra time. So my guess is they the school is addicted to the government money. ...
What in the heck are you talking about? My 3 kids went to 6 different schools and not one had the least problem taking my tuition payments. No loans or government aid. Do you mean you showed up at the bursar's office with a wheelbarrow full of $1 bills or something?
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • dfrecore, jsd
(12-03-2018, 08:29 AM)vetvso Wrote: It's just my opinion but I think all schools work toward you getting financial aid now. When I was paying for my boy's tuition in cash; they were not supportive and the system for me to do so was outdated and it took extra time. So my guess is they the school is addicted to the government money. So I now use the system for how they have it designed and just rotate the government money around and end up spending the same. Everyone is happy and my family no longer stands out as the oddball cash paying customer. We also get more scholarships as well now since we seemed to have been excluded before even though they claim we weren't.

I have always paid for college in cash (debit card, credit card, check, whatever).  There was never any problem.  I just paid for Spring 2019 in cash.  Plenty of people don't qualify for financial aid, and the only way to pay is with cash.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I pay cash for my dissertation hours and haven't had any problems. There are many schools with a large share of their student bodies receiving no financial aid.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,561 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Univ of People partners with Sophia.org for degree pathway! bjcheung77 3 785 05-08-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  WGU, SNHU, University of the People - Mega Universities bjcheung77 8 2,171 03-27-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transcript hold at college. How to finish CS degree elsewhere? HawkofDarkness 35 2,841 10-18-2022, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Why do people drop out? Alpha 8 916 10-13-2022, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sparcleofyumm
  People treating you differently since you've graduated? collegechick 29 3,395 04-24-2022, 12:20 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Tall people are more educated, short people are unhealthy bjcheung77 2 781 04-23-2022, 09:47 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  What People Get Wrong About First-Generation College Students LevelUP 11 1,375 03-08-2022, 03:51 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
Question Why People Take SO LONG to Get Started? LevelUP 13 1,739 03-05-2022, 02:12 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Finish: This is how it looks like! (78 years later) bjcheung77 1 883 12-30-2021, 08:39 PM
Last Post: clep3705