Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What sort of entry-level business-related jobs are there?
I've hit a real dry spot with IT and have yet to find anything, and it occurred to me that I've been reading about business stuff (marketing, finance, logistics, general management, etc) for a while now, so may be "qualified" for something less techie in nature.

However, I haven't found any insight into what kind of positions there actually are in each business career field.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
Oh, that's disappointing you're not getting an IT position Sad Are you looking for internships too, or you need something that pays more?

Business wise, you could try for entry-level or internships jobs in just about any area like Accounting, Marketing, HR (apparently there are HR assistants), Finance seems harder to me (but I don't know), Gen Mgmt, etc. Do some searching and see what positions don't require a Bachelor's? Many would be assistant roles. Or do you mean only IT related business careers?

I'm surprised.

... that is, if you mean you aren't finding any work when you say 'dry spot'.

I've been hitting the want ads pretty hard. Ton of entry-level stuff around me. Federal / classified help desk stuff, desktop support, etc.

If you mean 'you've had it', that I understand, too. Can't help you there - I've guarded a ton of businesses, but don't know much about them.
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

(02-06-2018, 08:44 PM)High_Order1 Wrote: I'm surprised.

... that is, if you mean you aren't finding any work when you say 'dry spot'.

I've been hitting the want ads pretty hard. Ton of entry-level stuff around me. Federal / classified help desk stuff, desktop support, etc.

If you mean 'you've had it', that I understand, too. Can't help you there - I've guarded a ton of businesses, but don't know much about them.

I'm a bit surprised too, and it's the first (can't find work). This was hardly what I expected to happen with my background and experience, but life is throwing me a real zinger of a curveball. I've been applying for anything I'm even remotely qualified for in my area, from Helpdesk to Jr. Admin stuff.

I'm hesitant to move for monetary reasons. That said, whereabouts do you live? If the market is truly favorable, moving may be my best choice.

(02-06-2018, 08:40 PM)Ideas Wrote: Oh, that's disappointing you're not getting an IT position Sad Are you looking for internships too, or you need something that pays more?

Business wise, you could try for entry-level or internships jobs in just about any area like Accounting, Marketing, HR (apparently there are HR assistants), Finance seems harder to me (but I don't know), Gen Mgmt, etc. Do some searching and see what positions don't require a Bachelor's? Many would be assistant roles. Or do you mean only IT related business careers?

I'd be willing to take an internship, but it has to be paid. I no longer have the luxury of working for free.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
McDonald's.

I'm serious. Get into their corporate management track. You'll start off in a corporate-owned store, and you'll work long and hard hours. But it can lead to a really good career in a leading company of an industry that isn't leaving the scene anytime soon.
Have you tried temp agencies, head hunters? I've had some contract jobs turn into permanent placements and some did direct hires through a temp agency.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
Yeah, they would be paid internships.

Oh, I just realized you already finished the BS-IT, so the trouble is more surprising Sad

Maybe being enrolled in an IT/CS Masters will help. Or are you already? Like someone posted in your thread: "The coolest thing was that, just being in a masters program got me in the door at the University of Chicago as a Data Security Analyst."

I'm wondering if there are too many graduates in Security but other employers think you'll switch to Security if they hire you for non-Sec.

I would try a different route.  Pick an organization that you want to work for, preferably small to mid-sized.   In fact, make a short list of "ideal" companies.     This should be based on where you live.   For example, I used to live in Chicago and was working in medical non-profit associations.   There are a TON in Chicago.   So, if you lived there, you could say "I'm going to make a list of medical non-profit organizations and look at their career page"

Then, just go down the list and apply for anything that is open at each place.  In your cover letter, make sure to state that your background is in IT, but your dream is to work for their company.     MAKE EACH COVER LETTER PERSONAL.   Make them see that you're passionate about the particular industry you chose.     Yes I know that 90% of people don't read cover letters, but the 10% that do are very swayed by a personalized letter since most that come up are dry and boring/not personalized.

After that, seek out the recruiters from each company on LinkedIn.  Connect with them.   Let them know that you are an enthusiastic worker and your dream is to work in their industry.   Your passion and targeted focus will make up for lack of experience.   You'll still get entry to mid-level positions, but if you do it right, you'll get hired and people won't wonder why your experience doesn't match the position.   They'll know that you're incredibly excited to do their job.   And most hiring managers (especially at a mid/lower level) will take passion over experience any day of the week.

In order to make this really work, it's easier if you know the basics details from an industry.  Not the nitty gritty unless you want to.  After all, you're an industry outsider wanting to get in.  Do know enough to know WHY you want to work for the company and/or in the specific target industry.   You have to have a reason to be excited. 

But stick to it.   It isn't easy, but it does work.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 2 users Like burbuja0512's post:
  • High_Order1, Ideas
burbuja0512 Wrote:I would try a different route.  Pick an organization that you want to work for, preferably small to mid-sized.   In fact, make a short list of "ideal" companies.     This should be based on where you live.   For example, I used to live in Chicago and was working in medical non-profit associations.   There are a TON in Chicago.   So, if you lived there, you could say "I'm going to make a list of medical non-profit organizations and look at their career page"

Then, just go down the list and apply for anything that is open at each place.  In your cover letter, make sure to state that your background is in IT, but your dream is to work for their company.     MAKE EACH COVER LETTER PERSONAL.   Make them see that you're passionate about the particular industry you chose.     Yes I know that 90% of people don't read cover letters, but the 10% that do are very swayed by a personalized letter since most that come up are dry and boring/not personalized.

After that, seek out the recruiters from each company on LinkedIn.  Connect with them.   Let them know that you are an enthusiastic worker and your dream is to work in their industry.   Your passion and targeted focus will make up for lack of experience.   You'll still get entry to mid-level positions, but if you do it right, you'll get hired and people won't wonder why your experience doesn't match the position.   They'll know that you're incredibly excited to do their job.   And most hiring managers (especially at a mid/lower level) will take passion over experience any day of the week.

In order to make this really work, it's easier if you know the basics details from an industry.  Not the nitty gritty unless you want to.  After all, you're an industry outsider wanting to get in.  Do know enough to know WHY you want to work for the company and/or in the specific target industry.   You have to have a reason to be excited. 

^^THIS^^. Haha, that's similar to the advice I PM Thorne about. Basically, do what everyone else is doing in terms of applying to job boards/headhunters, recruiters, social media such as LinkedIn, Indeed, etc, but also a secondary method of targeting the companies you want to work for in the area by snail mail.

I wouldn't even do too much, but send one letter asking them if they need someone for their IT department. Some companies may not even have a position ready but are about to create one, when they read your info and they like it, they'll follow up. Within that letter, have it point to a customized webpage with your Resume and CV, along with portfolios if you have any.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(02-07-2018, 02:16 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
burbuja0512 Wrote:I would try a different route.  Pick an organization that you want to work for, preferably small to mid-sized.   In fact, make a short list of "ideal" companies.     This should be based on where you live.   For example, I used to live in Chicago and was working in medical non-profit associations.   There are a TON in Chicago.   So, if you lived there, you could say "I'm going to make a list of medical non-profit organizations and look at their career page"

^^THIS^^.  Haha, that's similar to the advice I PM Thorne about.  Basically, do what everyone else is doing in terms of applying to job boards/headhunters, recruiters, social media such as LinkedIn, Indeed, etc, but also a secondary method of targeting the companies you want to work for in the area by snail mail.  

I wouldn't even do too much, but send one letter asking them if they need someone for their IT department.  Some companies may not even have a position ready but are about to create one, when they read your info and they like it, they'll follow up.  Within that letter, have it point to a customized webpage with your Resume and CV, along with portfolios if you have any.

The real key to my suggestion is the networking on LinkedIn.    I swear by it.    Some people hate it, but recruiters are usually open to connect with anyone.  Every time you connect you can write a message - use it.   I've had conversations with people I don't know on many occasions this way.    Also, join groups on LinkedIn - you can easily meet people who will be willing to help - if you're sincere and show that you appreciate their words of wisdom.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IT worker keeps 2 jobs for income security indigoshuffle 1 496 02-10-2024, 08:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 302 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
Lightbulb Speed Reading Test. NOBODY Can Pass Level 10 LevelUP 0 485 04-10-2023, 12:27 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Immigration and education level Personherebb9 7 815 10-30-2022, 03:32 PM
  Business 150 - Figure It Out. bjcheung77 0 445 09-28-2022, 03:11 PM
  for those who have a math degree - is your job math related ? bluebooger 0 538 03-22-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Best & Worst jobs - I wonder... bjcheung77 2 622 01-28-2022, 06:35 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Eye Level Learning vs Kumon (and/or alternatives) bjcheung77 1 3,236 10-09-2021, 02:15 PM
  Facebook Remote Jobs Dorothy44 0 690 06-13-2021, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Dorothy44
  650,000 jobs Alpha 20 2,334 03-21-2021, 10:18 AM
Last Post: dfrecore