Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
650,000 jobs
Apparently there were 650,000 jobs lost in higher education recently
https://www.chronicle.com/article/a-brut...-last-year
Doesn't surprise me at all. Many schools have cut back on course offerings because enrollment is down. Several schools are on the verge of permanently shutting down. There's a college in my town that has made agreements with 2 other nearby colleges to accept their students if they shutdown. Those 2 schools have been hurting for years. They're VERY small schools. I don't know how they've survived this long with 400 students at one and one with about 1700 students spread out over campus and several adult learning facilities. Once you leave this area, no one has heard of either college. One has ties to Wells Fargo Bank and still is unknown.

With remote learning and online classes taking off, I expect to see even fewer positions at colleges. I expect a lot of layoffs. If you can teach 100 students online in 1 class then you don't need 4 sections of the class on campus. 
I don't have access to read the article (and don't want to sign up for it), but I'm hoping that PLENTY of these jobs are administrative ones. Honestly, colleges are so top-heavy with admin, they have to charge ridiculous amounts to attend. If schools are forced to get rid of the junk-jobs at the top end to continue on in a more lean way, so be it - should have never gotten that way in the first place.

Unfortunately, many will continue on with this nonsense and cut teachers instead. Because...some students will still choose schools that are filled with idiots I guess.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-22-2021, 04:00 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I don't have access to read the article
Easy way to get around those paywalls.

https://archive.vn/yb3Gq
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • MNomadic
Ithaca College cuts faculty/majors
Ithaca College to cut more than 100 faculty members and more than 20 majors and programs | WSTM (cnycentral.com)
(03-09-2021, 08:51 PM)Alpha Wrote: Ithaca College cuts faculty/majors
Ithaca College to cut more than 100 faculty members and more than 20 majors and programs | WSTM (cnycentral.com)

I like the kid who graduated last year saying the deficit isn't much and not enough to justify these cuts. Amazing. A college graduate who doesn't know what a deficit is and how much $24,000,000 is. Poor kid paid an arm and leg to attend that school, too. 
(03-09-2021, 08:51 PM)Alpha Wrote: Ithaca College cuts faculty/majors

Colleges SHOULD cut problems on a regular basis.  Anything that doesn't have good student outcomes, doesn't have enough students enrolling each year to keep open, etc.  If they never cut programs, they'd still have majors that didn't lead to jobs, and wouldn't have majors like Cybersecurity or Data Science.  They need to continually update their offerings to keep up with the times.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • bluebooger, rachel83az
There's a college here that has a minor in dead languages. Why??? They don't even have enough students in the program to have a full time professor. The professor rotates between 3 colleges. Why does any college have this program? Great you learned about dead languages. Ok so what skills do you have and are useful in the job market of today? This program is now under review along with some others because of Covid cutbacks. I'm like you needed a pandemic to realize that this wasn't a great way to spend $$$$? Anyone can learn a dead language. Buy a book. Watch YouTube. But to go to a school where tuition is over $60K a year and learn about dead languages is just insane.
A degree in dead languages might be useful for certain archaeology positions. But there are probably only a handful of these positions in the whole world.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • TINASAM
(03-10-2021, 10:02 AM)rachel83az Wrote: A degree in dead languages might be useful for certain archaeology positions. But there are probably only a handful of these positions in the whole world.

It's not even a degree. It's a minor. This is a liberal arts school. They have a lot of programs under review now because they will have 1 or 2 students in the program. Why do you have a program for so few students? They don't have business degrees, IT degrees, etc. In good times they have about 2500 students. Now it's around 2000. I have no idea how they have survived having so many programs with a handful of students. I can't imagine they're the only college like this either. With Ithaca College dropping 20 programs, you can see how much can really be trimmed away at many colleges. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IT worker keeps 2 jobs for income security indigoshuffle 1 481 02-10-2024, 08:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Best & Worst jobs - I wonder... bjcheung77 2 616 01-28-2022, 06:35 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Facebook Remote Jobs Dorothy44 0 686 06-13-2021, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Dorothy44
  Who's applying for jobs? Amazon's hiring! bjcheung77 8 1,657 12-28-2020, 08:38 PM
Last Post: StoicJ
  The Fastest Growing Jobs in America Don't Require a College Degree sanantone 0 1,128 09-08-2019, 08:38 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Overpaid Jobs natshar 21 4,094 01-06-2019, 01:24 AM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Full-Time Work from home jobs? acamp 16 3,390 12-19-2018, 01:26 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Need advice about jobs - HELP! burbuja0512 21 3,642 09-29-2018, 05:01 PM
Last Post: lmckown
  9 Out of 10 New Jobs are Going to Those with a College Degree sanantone 15 3,037 06-14-2018, 06:58 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  What sort of entry-level business-related jobs are there? Thorne 11 2,442 02-08-2018, 03:53 PM
Last Post: Bibby