Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would be your ideal route to med school?
Now that I'm nearing the end of this awful capstone course, and will hopefully soon have my BA degree, I'm stuck here trying to figure out 'what I want to be when I grow up'. And I have a voice in my head telling me you always wanted to be a doctor, give it a go. I'm sure other people have heard the same little voice, and it got me thinking....

If you had no obligations(family, work, money) and you had to complete the pre-requisities for entry to med school, which direction would you take?...?

• Harvard Extension School
  • Similar post-bacc program at your in-state school
  • individual Community college courses
  • another option I've missed

As I'm trying to figure out a path for myself it made me curious, what direction my fellow non-traditional students would take, given the opportunity and desire.
BA in Social Science-TESC
Arnold Fletcher Award

[h=1]“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” ~Thomas Edison[/h]
I believe Berkeley Extension has a premed program as well.

Post-Baccalaureate Health Professions Program | UC Berkeley Extension
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
First do some research on the medical schools you are interested in to see if they have any particular requirements (some don't want you to take certain classes online). Then review your budget, learning style and decide from there.
In your situation, this hands down Health Careers Program | Harvard Medical, Dental, & Veterinary
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Hi! DegreeForum member here who heard to a similar voice, listened, chose HES, is here now – Spring semester starts this week! – and is very glad.

ironheadjack Wrote:Now that I'm nearing the end of this awful capstone course

Try not to think of it as awful. Put everything you can into it! Aim for a good grade.

A few quick points:

ironheadjack Wrote:If you had no obligations(family, work, money) and you had to complete the pre-requisities for entry to med school, which direction would you take?

Actually, one factor that weighed in favor of HES in many comparisons I made was financial. Tuition for courses through the Extension school – in the Fall and Spring semesters – is currently about $300 per semester hour (for undergraduate credit, and the only other fee I can think of is $50 per semester to register). This compares very well to other private school, out-of-state public school, and sometimes in-state public school rates.

Many HES students also take Harvard Summer School courses in summer. Summer rates are higher. The evening-based schedule at HES (not Harvard Summer School) can also be conducive to working at least part-time, volunteering, and other personal responsibilities. Of course, housing costs in the Boston area are higher than the national average.

ironheadjack Wrote:

Also: You don't need to go through the Health Careers Program to take pre-med courses at HES/HSS, and you might not need to go through a formal program to take them at your in-state school, or other schools.

There are other post-baccalaureate premedical programs. Some are focused on comebacks for students with low GPAs (by med school admissions standards), some on working with students from underrepresented backgrounds, some on meeting science requirements for "career-changers" from other fields, some a mix. One helpful source of information is the Postbaccalaureate Premedical Programs database from the AAMC. Another source of information and commentary, sometimes helpful!, is the Postbaccalaureate Programs forum at forums.studentdoctor.net.

Edited to add: I recommend the talk Dr. William Fixsen, the head of the Health Careers Program at HES, gave for the Harvard Extension Pre-Health Society this year. It's up on YouTube starting here. The link is to part 1 of 9; you should see links to the next 8 among related videos as you watch through.
I would go with the in-state school option. I was Pre-Med once upon a time, and it is the one field where I would prefer to take any lab courses in-person. Also, an in-state school is often a good "Plan B" grad school option, and if grad school application time is running short on that Plan B route, you have less transcript headaches to manage.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
mrs.b Wrote:I would go with the in-state school option. I was Pre-Med once upon a time, and it is the one field where I would prefer to take any lab courses in-person. Also, an in-state school is often a good "Plan B" grad school option, and if grad school application time is running short on that Plan B route, you have less transcript headaches to manage.

Harvard Extension School (and Summer School) do not offer lab science courses by distance. A number of non-lab biology and related electives, subjects like neurobiology and statistics, are regularly offered by distance.
Yes, the HES option would entail a year in Cambridge I believe....but you get a lot of bang for your buck.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
ironheadjack Wrote:Now that I'm nearing the end of this awful capstone course, and will hopefully soon have my BA degree, I'm stuck here trying to figure out 'what I want to be when I grow up'. And I have a voice in my head telling me you always wanted to be a doctor, give it a go. I'm sure other people have heard the same little voice, and it got me thinking....

If you had no obligations(family, work, money) and you had to complete the pre-requisities for entry to med school, which direction would you take?...?

As I'm trying to figure out a path for myself it made me curious, what direction my fellow non-traditional students would take, given the opportunity and desire.

Harvard's program without a second thought, they'll also write a letter for you.
If you use summer sessions, you can stay in the dorm, which is a plus in my book. Full semesters, you'd be on your own and they are a full 16 weeks.
mrs.b Wrote:I would go with the in-state school option. I was Pre-Med once upon a time, and it is the one field where I would prefer to take any lab courses in-person. Also, an in-state school is often a good "Plan B" grad school option, and if grad school application time is running short on that Plan B route, you have less transcript headaches to manage.

Harvard's pre-med/health program is only butt-in-seat.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 297 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,063 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,470 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,584 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  School Psychologists?? Vle045 3 906 01-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  U of Michigan removes School President bjcheung77 0 557 01-15-2022, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Worst School Name Alpha 13 2,063 10-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  Should taxpayers fund any and every choice in school and/or major? sanantone 14 1,652 08-19-2021, 01:19 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Ideal Software position for beginners Paramedic12 12 3,111 08-09-2021, 02:23 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Back 2 School - Buy Mac/iPad - get AirPods + 20% off AppleCare bjcheung77 0 672 06-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77