12.50%
3 12.50%
Total 24 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Branch Would You Join?
(06-18-2018, 12:38 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(06-18-2018, 08:30 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote: For the record, these are the 7 Uniformed Services, not branches.  Great list!

One study one never reads is what % who join retire with that service.  The Marines would be dead last (hardest).  AF would be #1 of the DOD types.  Not sure where CG, NOAA, and USPH fall in order but higher.

Kids never think of retirement as an opportunity.  # flaw in our education system.  Long-term planning is not there.

They are branches of the uniformed services; they just aren't branches of the armed forces.

(06-18-2018, 11:51 AM)burbuja0512 Wrote: Aside from the money for school, I've never really understood why people enlist.    I never really knew anyone that did, so perhaps I just missed out on hearing about the other benefits.   It seemed like less freedom on the job front with some obvious major risk depending on what you get assigned to.     So, I went with international business.  Not saving any lives, but I've traveled the world.

I would be interested in understanding why it was appealing to people that enlisted.   I always thank those that have enlisted (and buy them a drink in the airport,) but never understand it personally, so would be interesting to know more.

Some just want to serve; some like the benefits. The uniformed services have benefits that are nearly impossible to find anywhere else: 20-year retirement, free training for civilian occupations, and the GI Bill and tuition assistance that are unmatched by most tuition reimbursement programs.

Most won't go to war. I think only a couple of Coast Guard members died in the last couple of wars. If the military ever needs to send large numbers of the Coast Guard to war, then they've likely gotten to the point of needing to draft.

Where do you see all 7 called branches?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniformed_...ted_States
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Your wiki link calls them service branches in the info box.

Not that I would know what is accurate.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • sanantone
(06-18-2018, 05:45 PM)jsd Wrote: Your wiki link calls them service branches in the info box.

Interesting.  I have never seen anyone call them a branch.  Even themselves.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(06-18-2018, 05:54 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(06-18-2018, 05:45 PM)jsd Wrote: Your wiki link calls them service branches in the info box.

Interesting.  I have never seen anyone call them a branch.  Even themselves.

The Uniformed Services University, NASA, Oregon, and USPHS also call them branches. 

https://www.usuhs.edu/uniformed-services

https://nasajobs.nasa.gov/jobs/militaryjobs.htm

https://dcp.psc.gov/ccmis/ccis/documents/CCPM26_1_2.pdf

https://www.oregon.gov/DOR/about/Documen...6-0320.pdf
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • burbuja0512, Life Long Learning
I would choose Space Force if it on the list. 

Proud Navy Corpsman!
Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM in Mathematics - 54/61  (Graduate by June 2020)
ASNSM in Computer Science - 55/61 (Graduate by June 2020)
BS in Health Services Technology - 106/120 (Graduate by December 2020)
BSBA General Management - 72/120 (Graduate by December 2020)

US Military Apprenticeship Program
Certificate in Medical Secretary - Earned in 2019
Certificate in Dental Assisting - Earned in 2019
[-] The following 3 users Like docmarvin's post:
  • burbuja0512, MrBossmanJr, quigongene
(06-18-2018, 11:59 AM)quigongene Wrote:
(06-18-2018, 11:51 AM)burbuja0512 Wrote: I would be interested in understanding why it was appealing to people that enlisted.

I was 18, and had no idea what I wanted to do (but knew I didn't want to be a short order cook for the rest of my life). I also knew I wanted to travel, but had no idea where. The Navy pretty much made both decisions for me. I got OJT in electronics and communications, have been all over the world, and got an honorable discharge which has given me several advantages being a veteran. No complaints.

Same here. 18 years old, wanted to travel and get training in a field that would help after military life. Got both, IT rate.

PS: in my observation (regarding standard of living) the Air Force wins hands down ?
[-] The following 1 user Likes jkerns's post:
  • burbuja0512
(06-21-2018, 05:04 PM)jkerns Wrote:
(06-18-2018, 11:51 AM)burbuja0512 Wrote: I would be interested in understanding why it was appealing to people that enlisted.

I was 18, and had no idea what I wanted to do (but knew I didn't want to be a short order cook for the rest of my life).  I also knew I wanted to travel, but had no idea where.  The Navy pretty much made both decisions for me.  I got OJT in electronics and communications, have been all over the world, and got an honorable discharge which has given me several advantages being a veteran.  No complaints.

Same here. 18 years old, wanted to travel and get training in a field that would help after military life. Got both, IT rate.

PS: in my observation (regarding standard of living) the Air Force wins hands down ?

In the Navy, my Division Officer told me that he had a higher quality of life as an E-4 in the Air Force than he did as an O-3 in the Navy(at least on deployment/out to sea).
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • burbuja0512
(06-21-2018, 05:35 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(06-21-2018, 05:04 PM)jkerns Wrote: Same here. 18 years old, wanted to travel and get training in a field that would help after military life. Got both, IT rate.

In the Navy, my Division Officer told me that he had a higher quality of life as an E-4 in the Air Force than he did as an O-3 in the Navy(at least on deployment/out to sea).

They call it the "chair force" for a reason...   Tongue
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • burbuja0512

I was 18, and had no idea what I wanted to do (but knew I didn't want to be a short order cook for the rest of my life).  I also knew I wanted to travel, but had no idea where.  The Navy pretty much made both decisions for me.  I got OJT in electronics and communications, have been all over the world, and got an honorable discharge which has given me several advantages being a veteran.  No complaints.

I find the Air Force appealing because it's known as the brainy force with the second highest ASVAB score requirement and some of the most educated recruits, but that's really just a result of what kinds of positions they have the most need for. With the higher enlistment requirements, it's no wonder that the Air Force does most of the cybersecurity work, which is the main medium for conflicts between developed nations in the 21st Century. If I liked water, I would find the Coast Guard more appealing. They have the highest ASVAB score requirment, are mostly involved in homeland security and law enforcement, and have short deployments. 

NOAA Corps would be second on my list if it didn't require being on ships for so long. The areas you can serve in are also limited, which is similar to the Coast Guard. As a matter of fact, NOAA Corps recruits go through basic training with the Coast Guard. Since the Army is so large, it has a lot of opportunities. For me, personally, I wouldn't have a reason to choose the Navy or Marines unless they had openings for positions that didn't have openings in the other armed forces. The Navy is great if you like water and travel or want to provide medical services to the Marines since they don't have their own. Navy members also rarely die in modern wars. The Marines are great if you like combat.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • burbuja0512
(06-22-2018, 02:52 PM)sanantone Wrote:

I find the Air Force appealing because it's known as the brainy force with the second highest ASVAB score requirement and some of the most educated recruits, but that's really just a result of what kinds of positions they have the most need for. With the higher enlistment requirements, it's no wonder that the Air Force does most of the cybersecurity work, which is the main medium for conflicts between developed nations in the 21st Century. If I liked water, I would find the Coast Guard more appealing. They have the highest ASVAB score requirment, are mostly involved in homeland security and law enforcement, and have short deployments. 

NOAA Corps would be second on my list if it didn't require being on ships for so long. The areas you can serve in are also limited, which is similar to the Coast Guard. As a matter of fact, NOAA Corps recruits go through basic training with the Coast Guard. Since the Army is so large, it has a lot of opportunities. For me, personally, I wouldn't have a reason to choose the Navy or Marines unless they had openings for positions that didn't have openings in the other armed forces. The Navy is great if you like water and travel or want to provide medical services to the Marines since they don't have their own. Navy members also rarely die in modern wars. The Marines are great if you like combat.

They all have their pros and cons.  If you want ROTC, Navy has the best options outside of the academies.  AF is harder to get in to, and doesn't seem to pay as much for tuition.  The Army requires 4 years active duty plus 4 years in the reserves in exchange, while the Navy only requires 4 years for Marines/nurses, and 5 years for Navy, unless you do something specialized like pilot.

If you want to be a lawyer, I think only the Marines and AF will pay for law school.

If you want to be a doctor, all of the branches will pay for med school, and you'll do your residency in a military hospital.  You'll owe 4 years to the military after that, but be paid a decent amount while you're there (I think it's about $125k-ish per year).  You most certainly will be deployed at some point, as they need docs out in the field, but you'll get very good training while you're doing that.  They say that one of the reasons the murder rate in Chicago is so low in comparison to the number of gunshot victims is because so many docs are so good at emergency medicine and dealing with gunshot wounds after being in the military.  Fewer and fewer people die as a result of being shot now than they used to.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA