Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which degree would be likely to have more value?
I have heard that an AA degree may have more value than an AAS degree. I have also heard that a degree that lists a specific area may have more value than a degree in general studies. That being said, which associate's degree would be likely to have more value - an AA in general studies from a community college or a Pierpont BOG AAS with an area of emphasis in history? My son wavered between getting his bachelor's degree in history or criminal justice for over a year before finally deciding on criminal justice. I was wondering if it would be a good idea for him to get the Pierpont BOG AAS with an area of emphasis in history so that, in the future, if he ever became interested in some type of history-related position, he would have a degree with an emphasis in history on his resume. Any advice would be appreciated!
It depends. The career, the position, the company, etc. It really depends on them.

That being said, I think a specialized degree trumps a generalized degree any day of the week, but that's just my opinion. Second however, I don't think you can get an AAS in history though, it's Associate in Applied Science, and history isn't a technical or science area.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
For the Pierpont BOG, English has been reported as an AOS. That's not technical or science.

That said, an associate's degree might not be worth all that much towards a history-related career. Is your son going to TESU? If so, why not a combined CJ/history degree? Or he could get a history degree from UMPI rather inexpensively if he wanted to take that route. By all means, go ahead and get the Pierpont degree. But it's just not going to be worth much when compared to a bachelor's degree
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(02-23-2021, 03:09 PM)rachel83az Wrote: For the Pierpont BOG, English has been reported as an AOS. That's not technical or science.

Interesting. Not what I would've expected, obviously, but also a good reason to gather your own information.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
(02-23-2021, 03:09 PM)rachel83az Wrote: For the Pierpont BOG, English has been reported as an AOS. That's not technical or science.

That said, an associate's degree might not be worth all that much towards a history-related career. Is your son going to TESU? If so, why not a combined CJ/history degree? Or he could get a history degree from UMPI rather inexpensively if he wanted to take that route. By all means, go ahead and get the Pierpont degree. But it's just not going to be worth much when compared to a bachelor's degree

UMPI also has a BA in Criminal Justice. 
(02-23-2021, 02:47 PM)a4tunatemom Wrote: I have heard that an AA degree may have more value than an AAS degree. I have also heard that a degree that lists a specific area may have more value than a degree in general studies. That being said, which associate's degree would be likely to have more value - an AA in general studies from a community college or a Pierpont BOG AAS with an area of emphasis in history? My son wavered between getting his bachelor's degree in history or criminal justice for over a year before finally deciding on criminal justice. I was wondering if it would be a good idea for him to get the Pierpont BOG AAS with an area of emphasis in history so that, in the future, if he ever became interested in some type of history-related position, he would have a degree with an emphasis in history on his resume. Any advice would be appreciated!

If he can get the AAS with history AoE I say do it.

Does he have the 15 history credits now?
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
I thought AAS were "terminal" degrees
meant for people who had no desire to continue on with a bachelors

I don't think either of the two degrees originally mentioned are all that good by themselves
they might be ok to fulfill general education requirements if he plans on continuing on with a bachelors

the NYC police department requires 60 college credits to apply, so they'd also be good for something like that
I think that unless you're looking at a job with a very specific requirement, an AA/AS/AAS is not going to matter at all.  My daughter is planning on an AAS in Surgical Tech for instance, it's a terminal degree, meaning there is no bachelor's degree for that particular job.  There are many medical-related jobs that require an AAS, and in that case, an AAS is required, an AA/AS will not satisfy the requirements which have very specific coursework you have to take.

In the case of a BOG AAS degree, I can't think of a job/job field in which an AAS (or even AA/AS) will be meaningful in terms of history.  If someone wants a history degree, it's usually at least a BA, and many times an MA.  Nothing you take below a BA level will matter.  But if you find a job where an AA/AS/AAS in history is asked for, let us know.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-23-2021, 04:19 PM)bluebooger Wrote: I thought AAS were "terminal" degrees              
meant for people who had no desire to continue on with a bachelors              

I don't think either of the two degrees originally mentioned are all that good by themselves                  
they might be ok to fulfill general education requirements if he plans on continuing on with a bachelors

the NYC police department requires 60 college credits to apply, so they'd also be good for something like that

AAS are not terminal degrees. They's not liberal arts degrees. They're used for subjects which you can start a career with such as accounting, culinary arts, criminal justice, etc. You don't take many liberal arts. They can be difficult to transfer because of the lack of liberal arts. I have an AAS and had no problem getting into bachelor's degree programs.
Unfortunately, you can't get a Pierpont degree after a bachelor's, peirpont is only for those with no college degree. And even if you could a Board of governors AAS would hold essentially no value.

AAS can be a terminal degree. Meaning some areas like comp sci, culinary, etc can lead to a job. However, in some of the subjects offered by AAS you can later get a bachelor's in the subject down the road. The point is that an AAS degree leads to a job. An AA pretty much is good for nothing as far as employment (at least speaking from personal experience and my AA is in general liberal arts). The peirpont degree is a little different as it isn't in a vo-tech field, but more of a way for adults to get a check box associate's.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,448 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 478 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 765 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,178 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,699 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 950 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  These Rural Texans Opted Out of a Degree. This Community College Wants Them Back LevelUP 1 374 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Avidreader