Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which of the Big 3 is friendliest to students under 18?
I'm homeschooled and 13 now. I'm guessing I'll probably enroll in one of the Big 3 at around 17 to get my final 30 credits. Does anyone know/have experience with which school is friendliest toward younger students?

Thanks!
-Zapproximator

My journey to a bachelor's degree by 18 (with my flashcards, exam tips, and notes)---> bachelorsby18.wordpress.com

Super quick bio: Homeschooled teen who loves music, writing, hanging out with friends, and doing stuff outside - unless it's 80+ Wink

-------------------------
42/120 Credits
CLEP: Principles of Marketing 75, Principles of Management 66, A&I Literature 59, Intro Psychology 64, US History 1 68, US History 2 69, Sociology 61, Western Civ 1, Western Civ 2 55, Biology 51, Microecon 67, Macroecon 68, Educational Psychology 74, College Algebra (in progress), College Composition (in progress)
AP: Statistics, Spanish (both in progress)
TESU states 21 as an age requirement, but it is apparently very easy to have this waived. Charter Oak states 16, I'm not sure if they'll allow younger (I'm sure someone else can confirm one way or another here). Excelsior doesn't seem to have an age requirement, they just require a high school diploma or GED/equivalent.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Depending on the school you only need to take 3 or 6 credits at the Big Three. Their courses are brutally expensive and are normally avoided.
Good to know! So I guess all 3 would work. I'll probably go for TESU, but who knows if I change my mind!

Thanks!
-Zapproximator

My journey to a bachelor's degree by 18 (with my flashcards, exam tips, and notes)---> bachelorsby18.wordpress.com

Super quick bio: Homeschooled teen who loves music, writing, hanging out with friends, and doing stuff outside - unless it's 80+ Wink

42/120 Credits
CLEP: Principles of Marketing 75, Principles of Management 66, A&I Literature 59, Intro Psychology 64, US History 1 68, US History 2 69, Sociology 61, Western Civ 1, Western Civ 2 55, Biology 51, Microecon 67, Macroecon 68, Educational Psychology 74, College Algebra (in progress), College Composition (in progress)
I've had parents across many of my state pages tell me they have been unsuccessful getting students enrolled as young as 16,even with a lot of credit. I agree that TESU is probably your best bet, mainly because they work with Lumerit (which yes, I have been critical about for a long time) but those students are all high school aged. So, imo, I think they get a larger volume of requests from young people than the other 2 simply because of that connection.
TESU was very easy to work with when enrolling my daughter. If I remember correctly, we started the process a few months prior to her turning 18. In an effort to ensure enrollment, she completed 24 credits and through email, shared a detailed plan for the remaining 6 credits. They were fast in the approval process.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
I think member flyingace here enrolled at age 14 or 15 with TESU and graduated 1 or 2 years later.
Thank you!

It's amazing how helpful everyone is here!
-Zapproximator

42/120 Credits
Have you looked into WGU at all? My son is enrolling at 17, so I don't know their policy on students younger than that, but as a homeschooled teen, it's a good option for him - he'll be enrolling with 27 credits left to earn and will most likely complete in one $3,000 term.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
Wow! That's awesome! I haven't looked into WGU but I have heard of it.

Thanks,
-Zapproximator

42/120 Credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions about ICCP exams - Calling all IT/MIS Students gus 31 8,890 05-15-2018, 09:21 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BOG Students verbatim21 3 1,366 04-23-2018, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Johmford
  Are TECEPs only for TESU students? clep3705 5 2,270 08-10-2017, 07:26 AM
Last Post: passit1
  Excelsior Tracks Prospective Military Students sanantone 3 862 05-08-2016, 08:18 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  TESC Students: Having connectivity issues? DSH2007 10 1,361 07-14-2015, 10:01 PM
Last Post: CoffeeBreak
  A good first stop for potential TESC students Prloko 7 1,167 05-14-2015, 01:40 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  TESC Students and English Comp II using CLEP heidi08 14 1,306 04-25-2015, 08:53 AM
Last Post: SuzanneD
  COSC Capstone questions. COSC psychology students/alumni please look. CountChocula 2 1,177 03-25-2015, 03:28 PM
Last Post: KittenMittens
  International Students with MBA from US College heidi08 3 667 01-28-2015, 12:59 AM
Last Post: EI2HCB
  Help on TESC Residency Requirement for International Students heidi08 19 1,803 01-22-2015, 01:03 PM
Last Post: heidi08