Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which one is most recommended for testing out General Education requirements- Study.c
Which one is most recommended for testing out General Education requirements- Study.com, Straighterliner or Saylor?
Driel Wrote:Which one is most recommended for testing out General Education requirements- Study.com, Straighterliner or Saylor?

Use all of the above I probably won't do any saylor but I have done study.com, straighterline, clep, dsst. Its nice to mix it up
A lot of people love SL the most, but Study.com gives 6 free classes if you get the scholarship, and they have some good courses too. Saylor is so cheap and fast for people with prior knowledge.

It's a toss-up between SL and Study.com at this point - I would tell you to try both to see what fits your learning style better. They are both good, both offer most of the Gen Ed's you need, and cost similar amounts. Both offer specials/coupons to lower the cost even more. Both require you to complete a course in a month without making the cost go up significantly to buy another month's membership. Both can be done from home, and offer proctored finals on your computer.

SL is textbook-based, and you can score high enough on quizzes/exams to be able to fail the final and still pass the course. They also offer the huge benefit of being a partner college with many schools, and will send your transcripts directly to the school for free, bypassing the ACE registry (of course you still want to get it onto your ACE transcript). If you need science labs, you'll probably need to go through SL, because Study.com doesn't offer labs.

Study.com is video-based, you have a LOT of short quizzes to take, and the final counts for (usually) ⅔ of the grade, so a lot more rides on your final exam score.

Even if you ended up at SL, you'd probably still end up taking a couple of courses at Study.com - if you're a TESU student, then you want the affiliate membership and discount/waiver. Even if you're not, they offer a lot more courses than SL, especially outside of Gen Eds.

-------------------------------

Saylor, to me, is not your best option under even the best of circumstances. My husband's only shot at a Saylor course was one in which lots of the answers were wrong. Even if he managed to read through all of the material, he still might fail the final because it was incorrect (he took a computer course and knew a LOT of the material already). Several people have said they had the same issues with courses/exams there. There are MANY more complaints on this forum about Saylor than almost any other provider. I would say they have many more negative comments than positive, as a whole.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Driel Wrote:Which one is most recommended for testing out General Education requirements- Study.com, Straighterliner or Saylor?

For me, it's always been Straighterline for almost everything, Study.com for courses I can't take at Straighterline.
The reason is because Straighterline, you can pass the course before hitting the final (close to 70%), final is 30%.
Generally, for Study.com, the quizzes are 33.3% of the grade, the final is 66.6% (potentially fail).
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
bjcheung77 Wrote:For me, it's always been Straighterline for almost everything, Study.com for courses I can't take at Straighterline.
The reason is because Straighterline, you can pass the course before hitting the final (close to 70%), final is 30%.
Generally, for Study.com, the quizzes are 33.3% of the grade, the final is 66.6% (potentially fail).

Oh. I forgot to mention that for Straighterline, many of the courses I took were open book including the final. I did not have to go through any lessons, just the exams, midterm, and proctored finals. I had no chance of failing any course but Stats.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thank you very much for all your inputs. I will start the journey to getting all Gen. Ed. requirements some days/weeks from now.
Thanks for the replies, it is also my option to go SL first and Study.com for courses not available.
Goals: TESU BSBA GM (Added CIS) and BA Computer Science
BSBA GM - Added CIS AOS (CIS & GM completed)
BACS & Grad Plans (BACS instead of BALS w/NSM)

AAS ACS & ESST: Remaining - Associate Capstone
ASNSM CS: Completed, ASNSM Math: Remaining - Calculus I

Taking a majority of credits at Sophia.org, SL, and Study.com to finish these degrees
Updating my courses remaining by following forum advice, guide, spreadsheet & wiki
Study.com if you kind of want to learn as you go.

SL if you want a relatively "free" pass to completed course.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
The other benefit of Study.com over SL is that when you complete quizzes in one course, they will count as completed in any course that has overlap. For example, by doing Organizational Behavior, you have completed a percentage of management, HRM, etc. Also, Study.com has placement tests where you can test out of large chunks of the class before you even start the class. It is best to do as many courses as possible through them because of these 2 things.
TESU BA June 2018.
Various business certificates still to do.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com charged me another month without my consent Livia_Drusila 4 96 3 hours ago
Last Post: hsufeng
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,437 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,618 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,132 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 759 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 367 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,038 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,912 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 595 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 315 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue