Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which provider? English & Math
(03-25-2021, 05:08 PM)Dorothy44 Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 08:53 AM)dfrecore Wrote: If you're going to TESU, and are a proficient writer & typist, I highly recommend the TECEP's, I thought English Comp II was very easy, and I took it cold with not a minute of prep time.

If you're not a proficient typist, then you'd have a difficult time doing the CLEP as well, since they both require creating paragraphs on the fly.

Just be aware that not all schools will accept these exams in transfer.  Just because a school will put them on a transcript doesn't mean that they will be accepted by other schools.

My daughter just took the English CLEP in January.  It was only two short essays.  Very simple.

I did the CLEP exam as well.  The main thing is not running out of time so do some practice tests and learn the citations well.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
For what it's worth, I'll be taking Calculus 1 through 3 from distancecalculus.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes mweichert's post:
  • Zardoz
Distance Calculus is $433 per credit. That's significantly more than either Outlier or ASU.

WTAMU has Calc I through III for $233/credit: https://www.wtamu.edu/academics/extended...index.html
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • jch
(03-26-2021, 10:37 AM)mweichert Wrote: For what it's worth, I'll be taking Calculus 1 through 3 from distancecalculus.com

$1732 per course! Yikes!  Who would do this???
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-26-2021, 10:37 AM)mweichert Wrote: For what it's worth, I'll be taking Calculus 1 through 3 from distancecalculus.com

I am interested in taking at least one of the calculus sequence through them, so would very much appreciate your impressions.

Quote:$1732 per course! Yikes!  Who would do this???

Somebody who wants to experience a Mathematica-based instruction style, and/or might need a recommendation letter for grad school.
(03-29-2021, 04:13 AM)Zardoz Wrote:

I am interested in taking at least one of the calculus sequence through them, so would very much appreciate your impressions.

Quote:$1732 per course! Yikes!  Who would do this???

Somebody who wants to experience a Mathematica-based instruction style, and/or might need a recommendation letter for grad school.

I think you could find that for less than half the price.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
What would be the recommended study materials for the TECEP or CLEP for English Comp?    I feel I have a very good understanding of how to compose proper paragraphs, but in terms of how to create any citations or whatever else may be specific to these tests, I would need something to reference prior to testing.
West Virginia University at Parkersburg, Associate of Applied Science, Board of Governors program

Traditional College Credits (RA):
15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits
(04-03-2021, 09:18 AM)NC Coach Wrote: What would be the recommended study materials for the TECEP or CLEP for English Comp?    I feel I have a very good understanding of how to compose proper paragraphs, but in terms of how to create any citations or whatever else may be specific to these tests, I would need something to reference prior to testing.

This is a great question.  I personally have a very hard time remembering the difference between APA, MLA, Chicago, etc.  That's why I liked Sophia English Comp; 100% open book and unlimited use of Citation Generator.
(04-04-2021, 09:26 AM)ctcarl Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 09:18 AM)NC Coach Wrote: What would be the recommended study materials for the TECEP or CLEP for English Comp?    I feel I have a very good understanding of how to compose proper paragraphs, but in terms of how to create any citations or whatever else may be specific to these tests, I would need something to reference prior to testing.

This is a great question.  I personally have a very hard time remembering the difference between APA, MLA, Chicago, etc.  That's why I liked Sophia English Comp; 100% open book and unlimited use of Citation Generator.

I've read so many people on here complain about how difficult the Sophia English Comp is that it's made me not want to take it.  Plus I do need more RA credit so if I do a TECEP, that would be RA credit at TESU, right?      

I did see your post that made it sound like the class you took wasn't all that bad, so maybe taking it through Sophia isn't the worst option.  Thanks for posting that info earlier.   

I would love to know if anyone has any good study materials for those tests, though.
West Virginia University at Parkersburg, Associate of Applied Science, Board of Governors program

Traditional College Credits (RA):
15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits

There's an Official CLEP study guide, you can buy a used one for like $4, get it at the library for free, or do ModernStates.org for free (plus you get a free voucher to take the exam, and they'll reimburse testing center fees).  You can also just go online and look up citations.

https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_...guide.html

For the TECEP, I just looked up the OWL lab ^^ and took the test cold.  There's just not a lot to the exam, I thought it was very easy.  My best hint - copy what you type in, because when you click over to the next screen, they may ask you to retype what you just typed, and you can't go back to previous sections.  Oh, and when I took it, there was no word counter, which was SUPER frustrating.  I'd say that's the biggest issue with the TECEP is the setup of the exam, rather than the difficulty of the tasks.
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • NC Coach, rbrtpgdmn@gmail.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 1,001 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,911 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia.org English Composition II -- Grader Experiences ashkir 67 10,694 02-09-2024, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Sophia English Composition II Experience lifted567 14 1,869 01-04-2024, 05:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  English Comp 2 dbrown2258 7 820 09-10-2023, 01:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  does sophia english touch stone allow to use chatgpt or grammerly? sekiflying 10 2,558 08-13-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: sekiflying
Heart Is it possible to finish English composition II in one month on study.com? imkingta 16 1,899 07-22-2023, 11:11 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Want to drop out of Sophia English Composition I Avidreader 17 1,753 07-07-2023, 06:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  English comp 2 Sophia/study.com/olivia/tel? SweetsugarNL 12 3,810 07-03-2023, 11:33 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Sophia English Comp 1 Touchstone Issue arrakis 29 7,284 06-21-2023, 05:05 PM
Last Post: LevelUP