Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which school for CS?
With TESU, you want to transfer in as much as possible. For Comp Sci, the optimum number of credits is 105 or 106.

Sophia.org: Takes 2-3 months to complete the necessary credits.
Study.com: Takes 3-5 months to complete the necessary credits.
TEL/ONU/ASU: These 9 RA credits should take maybe 2-4 months, depending on circumstances.
American Government @ InstantCert: 2-4 weeks.
TECEPS: These are exams. It takes about 1 month to sign up for one and then be able to take it. If you decide you WANT to take the Network Technology TECEP, that one takes several months to study for properly.
TESU 16-credit-term: 3 months, can pay a little extra to extend the capstone for an additional 8 weeks
StraighterLine calculus (optional): 1 month

These can be taken consecutively, one after another, or they may overlap. For instance, Study.com places a limit on how many courses you are allowed to finish in a month. Once you take 5 exams, you could switch to working on something else. On the other hand, if you have a lot of work and/or personal stuff going on in your life, you can choose to slow down for all but the courses that must be taken from TESU itself.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • MrPanda
(10-01-2021, 07:07 AM)supreme1995_a Wrote: Yea I agree. Way cheaper with TESU.. degree may not hold same “value” even though this field doesn’t seem to really care about where anyways unless it’s MIT.. regardless, you can add that masters in and top it off. How long is a good masters for cs, especially the ones you reccomend?

Also With TESU, if we’re transferring 60 credits or so im assuming the remaining 60 will take 2 years like a normal school to complete?

This is a terrible idea, if you really want to take 2+ years to get this degree and take 60cr there, go somewhere else.  This will cost WAY too much money ($31k+).  There are tons of schools where it will cost half of that or less to get a degree.  FHSU is only $226.88/cr, so the entire degree would only cost $27k, and 60cr would be $13k.  More options out there for sure.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-01-2021, 11:38 AM)rachel83az Wrote: With TESU, you want to transfer in as much as possible. For Comp Sci, the optimum number of credits is 105 or 106.

Sophia.org: Takes 2-3 months to complete the necessary credits.
Study.com: Takes 3-5 months to complete the necessary credits.
TEL/ONU/ASU: These 9 RA credits should take maybe 2-4 months, depending on circumstances.
American Government @ InstantCert: 2-4 weeks.
TECEPS: These are exams. It takes about 1 month to sign up for one and then be able to take it. If you decide you WANT to take the Network Technology TECEP, that one takes several months to study for properly.
TESU 16-credit-term: 3 months, can pay a little extra to extend the capstone for an additional 8 weeks
StraighterLine calculus (optional): 1 month

These can be taken consecutively, one after another, or they may overlap. For instance, Study.com places a limit on how many courses you are allowed to finish in a month. Once you take 5 exams, you could switch to working on something else. On the other hand, if you have a lot of work and/or personal stuff going on in your life, you can choose to slow down for all but the courses that must be taken from TESwU itself.
can you  PM me. Super confused with testing and all these Sophia / other websites  if TESU offers all the courses…

dfrecore
(10-01-2021, 07:07 AM)supreme1995_a Wrote: Yea I agree. Way cheaper with TESU.. degree may not hold same “value” even though this field doesn’t seem to really care about where anyways unless it’s MIT.. regardless, you can add that masters in and top it off. How long is a good masters for cs, especially the ones you reccomend?

Also With TESU, if we’re transferring 60 credits or so im assuming the remaining 60 will take 2 years like a normal school to complete?

This is a terrible idea, if you really want to take 2+ years to get this degree and take 60cr there, go somewhere else.  This will cost WAY too much money ($31k+).  There are tons of schools where it will cost half of that or less to get a degree.  FHSU is only $226.88/cr, so the entire degree would only cost $27k, and 60cr would be $13k.  More options out there for sure.
If people are telling me TESU OR WGU in another post I’m assuming that means transferring my credits in and completing my degree there. Not sure what it means to do TECEP and all that extra stuff. I just want to go to the school and complete the credits missing but now you’re saying it’s too expensive? E
(10-01-2021, 12:56 PM)supreme1995_a Wrote: dfrecore

If people are telling me TESU OR WGU in another post I’m assuming that means transferring my credits in and completing my degree there. Not sure what it means to do TECEP and all that extra stuff. I just want to go to the school and complete the credits missing but now you’re saying it’s too expensive? E

What dfrecore is saying is that transferring in 60 credits only to TESU would make for an expensive and slow degree for no reason. The advantage of TESU is transferring in almost all of your credits(100+) so that you can save a lot of time and money at TESU. I recommend following Rachel's advice about doing 16 credits at TESU and transferring in about 105.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
TESU offers SOME of the courses. At $519 per credit. 120 x 519 = $62,280.

If you do flat-rate terms of 12 credits each, that would take 10 terms and cost $46,390.

If you transfer in only 60 credits, you're still paying a ridiculous $31k or $23k for just a Bachelor's degree. There is no need to waste money (and time!) like that when you can literally transfer in everything.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
So At what point would I do the actual Cs courses? Would I do them after transferring everything in? Aren’t there 10+ CS specific courses that need to be taken there?

Thanks
(10-01-2021, 05:56 PM)supreme1995_a Wrote: So At what point would I do the actual Cs courses? Would I do them after transferring everything in? Aren’t there 10+ CS specific  courses that need to be taken there?

Thanks

You can do some of the CS courses through study.com and a few other alternative sources. You don't have to take 10+ courses at TESU. Check out this thread for an example of what one person did for their BACS at TESU: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...e-Jan-2021
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Quite honestly. Even with transferring  in the max alt credit. If you don’t have a background in tech, Good luck completing in 6 months is all I’ve got to say. Especially if you’re working full time and have a home and family. Lol. 6 months to knock out discrete
Math , calculus, computer architecture, net work tech , linear algebra (if you want to go to grad school) , data structures, and Not mentioning the basic programming courses. And let’s not forget about the cornerstone and capstone. All after a few months of Sophia. I think six months for most people is a pipe dream. If you can get a bacs in start to finish in with max alt credit and 30 ra 2 years working full time consider it a job well done.
Isn’t taking these cs courses through study.com and 3rd party sites cutting yourself short with knowledge and “legitness”?
(10-01-2021, 08:35 PM)supreme1995_a Wrote: Isn’t taking these cs courses through study.com and 3rd party sites cutting yourself short with knowledge and “legitness”?

Why don’t you try taking a couple of them and see for yourself. If they were a cake walk they wouldn’t be accepted for aos or upper level.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 585 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,725 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 247 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 666 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Canada's Newest Medical School - Opening 2026 at SFU bjcheung77 1 339 11-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Brown Medical School withdraws from U.S. News rankings allvia 2 457 10-30-2023, 09:51 PM
  How Technology Shapes Ideas - University of Chicago Graham School Charles Fout 0 268 09-15-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  ACSOM - Caribbean Medical School (New!) bjcheung77 9 1,149 09-05-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  UK equivalent of high school diploma axa 8 4,584 09-01-2023, 08:13 PM
  High School online from the UK | 9 months, A Levels equivalent in the US elcastor21 7 690 08-26-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: elcastor21