Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PayPal - Asking for ID and address confirmation
Hmm, anyone come across PayPal asking for ID and address confirmation before?  I read online and this seems like a normal thing they do.  I don't mind, but never actually had to do this until yesterday, so I took a picture of my drivers license and my college transcript, sent it in... Within minutes, my account restrictions were lifted.  I don't know why so many people online rather 'end' their PayPal account over that.  Maybe because it's a privacy, personal info issue, but I think it's like a bank or credit union, places that require your ID before they give/take money from you...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I left Paypal ages ago because they are not regulated like a bank or credit card provider are and offer no advantages to the average consumer. That said, requiring ID actually sounds like a good thing as it would presumably help with identity theft or other fraud.

Of course, you want to be sure it is Paypal that is actually asking and that you're not falling for a phishing attempt. I suspect you're savvy enough to tell the difference.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
"be sure it is Paypal that is actually asking and that you're not falling for a phishing attempt."

The rule being never click on links offered even if they look totally legit.  Always inquire through your regular link or the number on your card(if credit card.)  Phishing attempts are way too common.
If you were asked in your PayPal account to prove your identity, it wouldn't surprise me if you accept payments due to to tax requirements.
Yes, I received the notification by email, and to be sure, I logged into my PayPal. The reason is because I'm getting more Study.com referral and ENEB referral rewards sent to my PayPal (they don't do anything other than PayPal), previously, Study.com would give credit into your account for use, now it's different... Practically don't use this for anything else other than that, or the occasional purchases that would accept PayPal vs credit card. I don't know, I think it's better to have a PayPal account than having many other websites hold my credit card info if I purchase online, even though they're not 100% secure, it's better than having X companies know my credit card info.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-07-2024, 03:29 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes, I received the notification by email, and to be sure, I logged into my PayPal.  The reason is because I'm getting more Study.com referral and ENEB referral rewards sent to my PayPal (they don't do anything other than PayPal), previously, Study.com would give credit into your account for use, now it's different...  Practically don't use this for anything else other than that, or the occasional purchases that would accept PayPal vs credit card.  I don't know, I think it's better to have a PayPal account than having many other websites hold my credit card info if I purchase online, even though they're not 100% secure, it's better than having X companies know my credit card info.

If you are collecting Study.com referral and ENEB referral income, then you are running a business and need to report this income on your tax return.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
As an eCommerce guy, I used to use Paypal quite a bit.

However, I ran into issues with scummy business practices (account limitations based on volume, not on complaints; poor customer service; I could continue...) and stopped doing business with them.

I use apps like CashApp and Zelle personally now, and Square for business transactions - but even they aren't great. Kind of hope Elon Musk goes through with building a "Paypal 2.0" alongside X.
(03-07-2024, 03:29 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes, I received the notification by email, and to be sure, I logged into my PayPal.  The reason is because I'm getting more Study.com referral and ENEB referral rewards sent to my PayPal (they don't do anything other than PayPal), previously, Study.com would give credit into your account for use, now it's different...  Practically don't use this for anything else other than that, or the occasional purchases that would accept PayPal vs credit card.  I don't know, I think it's better to have a PayPal account than having many other websites hold my credit card info if I purchase online, even though they're not 100% secure, it's better than having X companies know my credit card info.

I received the same email, checked my account, and sure enough they already had my address, likely from day 1.  Maybe it was phishing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Keep student email address? Vle045 10 1,671 04-23-2021, 11:15 AM
Last Post: ashkir
  How do I sign up with paypal learnertester 8 2,138 05-27-2016, 07:10 AM
Last Post: AngelaP
  Leaving address off of resume? soliloquy 3 984 06-28-2014, 04:22 PM
Last Post: soliloquy
  Why is eLearners emailing me, and how did they get my email address? sanantone 10 1,444 11-21-2013, 06:59 PM
Last Post: sanantone