Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is eLearners emailing me, and how did they get my email address?
I used to have a forum account on eLearners, but I signed up with a different email address. I have received two emails from them at the email address I used to sign up for this forum. They are asking me to remove links to their website from my posts on this forum because they are "perceived as unnatural and are harmful to our website and your website as well." What in the heck does that mean? I'm just mad they have my email address.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:They are asking me to remove links to their website from my posts on this forum because they are "perceived as unnatural and are harmful to our website and your website as well." What in the heck does that mean? I'm just mad they have my email address.

The email that they are emailing you at... about this forum... is the same as the email you use... for this forum... I'm guessing?

You've been cease and desisted, lol.
Total Newb Big Grin - Enrolled at TESC for AA, eventually going for BA Psych.

Thanks to everyone who provides such awesome information on this site, I'm slowly getting the hang of this crazy process.

CLEP - Intro. Psych. - 63, A&I Literature - 72, Intro. Edu. Psych. - 59
ALEKS - Intermediate Algebra
FEMA - 12 Credits
Yes, I don't know how they got an email address that I used to sign up for this forum. When they had their own forum, I used a different email address.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:Yes, I don't know how they got an email address that I used to sign up for this forum. When they had their own forum, I used a different email address.

They are not contacting you; the person who was signed up with their forum.

They are contacting you; the person who is linking to them.

If this is the only place you've linked them... then this is the place that they got the contact info.

Thanks to everyone who provides such awesome information on this site, I'm slowly getting the hang of this crazy process.

FEMA - 12 Credits
I know that, so that is why I'm wondering how they got my contact info from here. Is my personal email address visible somewhere on this forum? Did DegreeForum give them my email address? How come they just didn't contact the administrators of this forum to have the links removed? They called this my website, and we all know it's not. This whole mess about being unnatural and harmful is strange. Their email address is from gmail. It sounds like spam, but they went through the effort of including links to most of the threads with links to their website.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:I know that, so that is why I'm wondering how they got my contact info from here. Is my personal email address visible somewhere on this forum? Did DegreeForum give them my email address? How come they just didn't contact the administrators of this forum to have the links removed? They called this my website, and we all know it's not. This whole mess about being unnatural and harmful is strange. Their email address is from gmail. It sounds like spam, but they went through the effort of including links to most of the threads with links to their website.

"unnatural link" is common language, a generic term, I'm sure you're not the only one they've sent this to.

It sounds like they're just covering their bases because they've had some kind of issue with link spam.

I don't personally see an email address for you on this site, but I'll keep looking.

The occams razor answer is that they first contacted this forum and this forum supplied your contact info. It would make sense that this forum would remove the links, they haven't? They would still want to contact you though, with a... cease and desist (heh) ... to make sure you know they're willing to proceed with legal action if you are in fact linking them for nefarious reasons.

The tinfoil hat answer is... gmail man. lol. Gmail/google knows all.

You say they used a gmail account, is yours gmail also?

FEMA - 12 Credits
No, it's not a gmail account. It would be wrong for this forum to share my email address with a third party, especially one who is using Google email. eLearners is an established website. Why would they be using gmail? Wouldn't they have their own email domain? Who has an issue with link spam? The links are on this forum. If this forum thought the links were spam, then they would be the ones with the problem and contacting me, not eLearners. There is nothing nefarious about this forum, and they did not threaten legal action. They just politely asked me to remove the links in a very strange way. They referred to this forum as my website. This is not my website.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
It looks like Google is the issue with their policies on bad backlinks and artificially improving search rankings. However, this site is not spammy. The links are posted in threads where people ask for this kind of information. I'm just directing people to a website where they can search for online programs. Anyway, it looks like eLearners is using Rmoov.com because they included the link in the email. I think Rmoov somehow got my email address. I find this disturbing. They should be getting the contact info of DegreeForum. I'm still not fully understanding this whole bad backlink thing. It sounds like a very flawed system.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:No, it's not a gmail account. It would be wrong for this forum to share my email address with a third party, especially one who is using Google email. eLearners is an established website. Why would they be using gmail? Wouldn't they have their own email domain? Who has an issue with link spam? The links are on this forum. If this forum thought the links were spam, then they would be the ones with the problem and contacting me, not eLearners. There is nothing nefarious about this forum, and they did not threaten legal action. They just politely asked me to remove the links in a very strange way. They referred to this forum as my website. This is not my website.

Google the term "unnatural link", you can better wade through the results than I applying your specific details/circumstances.

You'd have to read the fine print of this sites "terms of service" to see what their policy is on relaying contact information to websites which contact them with a potentially legal concern.

There are spam links, unnatural links, which put unnecessary tax on a server.

For example, if you have a "bad" or unnatural link... it could be sending unwanted traffic there, in other words, not humans who might actually be consumers... but bots , pharming/phishing or just getting lost... whatever these bots do , that serves no benefit to the site but actually costs them.

It doesn't matter that YOUR link wasn't MEANT to do that. All that matters is that they have had SOME kind of problem and they are trying to route it out.

IF - they went through this forum first, which would be my guess, then, again you'd have to check the TOS to be sure they don't have the legal right to relay your contact info in such (quasi-)legal cases.

IF - they just have ninja hacking skills to find your email address, that's also not anything we can do anything about.

IF - you believe it did not actually originate where it says it did, I would just report it as spam/phishing/etc. to your email provider and ignore it.

FEMA - 12 Credits
sanantone Wrote:It looks like Google is the issue with their policies on bad backlinks and artificially improving search rankings. However, this site is not spammy. .

Yep.

This site doesn't have to be spammy though.

We've all experienced how google searches this site better than this site even searches this site.

FEMA - 12 Credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PayPal - Asking for ID and address confirmation bjcheung77 7 769 03-08-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: Old Guy
  Keep student email address? Vle045 10 1,710 04-23-2021, 11:15 AM
Last Post: ashkir
  Microsoft Office 360 Free with Student Email yb1 9 3,542 09-27-2016, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Bibby
  Leaving address off of resume? soliloquy 3 1,007 06-28-2014, 04:22 PM
Last Post: soliloquy
  Time on my email STG 10 1,455 09-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Last Post: mrs.b