Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why would anyone go to a non-RA school?
With all of the choices out there of low cost, at your own pace, distance learning and online options, why would anyone choose a school that is only nationally NA or distance education DETC accredited?
I just don't see the point. I bet that the course work is just as hard and that you learn just as much but the fact that you cannot transfer those credits into another school that is regionally accredited is a deal breaker. Also, if you have a NA or DETC bachelors degree, you probably won't be able to get into an RA masters program.
Some jobs won't recognize these degrees either.

So what is the point? What am I missing?
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
If you don't need RA credits for college transfer or employment and you just want to take the courses for your own personal enrichment then NA and DETC schools could fit the bill. I would also bet there are a lot of employers that don't know the difference between RA, NA and DETC accreditation, and some of the NA and DETC schools are on the DOE list and that is the criteria for most employers and even my RA community college will accept credits in transfer from NA and DETC schools if they are on the DOE list. Since I'm in academia I have to go to RA schools, but for a lot of students NA and DETC schools fit the bill perfectly. If they didn't serve a need they would have had to shut their doors without any students.
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
I realize they are a commercial success but so are cigarettes. If people knew the facts then I don't think they would be as successful.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
There are several career colleges in Orlando that are not RA. They offer programs like Nursing/Paramedic/Culinary Arts, they do have other accreditation to offer those programs. I always thought they were stupid expensive compared to the local CC.

As someone who trains new hireParameducs I really think the CC's do a better job educating their students. I don't know if the difference is in the applicants to such schools or the quality of the education...but the difference is sometimes startling!

Im glad I stuck with RA all the way through, keeps things simpler. Smile
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
ryoder Wrote:With all of the choices out there of low cost, at your own pace, distance learning and online options, why would anyone choose a school that is only nationally NA or distance education DETC accredited?
I just don't see the point. I bet that the course work is just as hard and that you learn just as much but the fact that you cannot transfer those credits into another school that is regionally accredited is a deal breaker. Also, if you have a NA or DETC bachelors degree, you probably won't be able to get into an RA masters program.
Some jobs won't recognize these degrees either.

So what is the point? What am I missing?

You're not missing anything. IMO, an NA undergrad is a HUGE mistake. HUGE (unless we are talking about trade school/trade occupation). OTOH, a NA grad degree probably not a huge deal for many industries. (not to be confused with an unaccredited degree- we "are" talking national accreditation which can be ok for many people)

I have 1 NA degree, 2 RA degrees. The hubby has 2 NA degrees. In our field, it hasn't mattered at all.
@OP: DETC is NA, your post indicates you may think they are a separate type.

I surmise most people attend NA schools because they simply don't know the difference, as NA is technically legal/legit. Also it sounds "higher" than RA. I'd also wager in general NA schools have more aggressive marketing.
They don't know any better and are marketed heavily towards that demographic.
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and a compass and never knows where he may cast" - Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

"The shortest distance between two points is usually under repair." - Anonymous

[SIZE="1"]CLEP/DSST/ACE credits (39), Total costs $1,383
Principles of Management (71), Principles of Supervision (446), Principles of Marketing (76), Management Information Systems (466), Human Resources Management (67), Intro to Computing (465), Environment & Humanity (69), Technical Writing (65), Intro to Business Law (75), Business Law II (80), Principles of Microeconomics (70), American Government (69), Straighterline Accounting II (90%)

[/SIZE]
[COLOR="Navy"]NA Vs RA....again?

Really...Seriously...Give this tired old argument a decent burial already! :iagree: [/COLOR]

Re-Posted/Related Shoto-Advice

[COLOR="Navy"]As for the accreditation issue, and no it is not an argument but more of an old tired out subject matter, I think it's important to discern that the difference between RA & NA is simply an issue that comes up in academia and really should not come up in an employment situation - both (RA & NA) are accredited and recognized by the USDoEd and CHEA.

Apply for a position, list your degrees on the application and your CV and then sit the interview. If your asked about your degree talk about what strengths it has given you and how it (and you of course) can be a better asset to their company. Should the "Is your degree from and accredited school?" question be asked the answer is a simply "yes." If you need to expand....."Yes, my school is recognized and approved by the USDoEd and CHEA."

Here's something else to dwell on to:[/COLOR]

Precious Metal (Semantics)

IL (Ivy League) = Platinum

RA (Any of the Eight) = 24k Gold

NA (DETC, TRACS, ABHE, or ACE Reviewed) = 14k Gold

NA (ACCCT, ACCET, ACICS) = 10k Gold

SA (State Approved and Legal) = Silver

RE (Religious Exempt) = Sterling Silver

DM (Diploma Mills and/or Illegal) = Lead…….or Kryptonite!

[B][COLOR="Navy"]I like the DETC and firmly believe that they fill a void for those of us that either cannot or choose not to attend a B&M $chool which is yet another important distinction for people to consider.

Remember the whole IL vs RA vs NA vs SA vs RE vs DM has everything to do with accepting credits from one school to another whereas getting a job has everthing to do with being qualified.[/COLOR]
[/B]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
ryoder Wrote:I realize they are a commercial success but so are cigarettes. If people knew the facts then I don't think they would be as successful.

:iagree:

But... some people are just plain hard headed. I told him it was a bad idea - i might as well have sung it up and down the hallways - but my co-worker got an MBA (and I use that term loosely) from a NA school simply because it was the cheapest place he could find (but not because he was strapped for cash). And wonders why he keeps getting passed over for promo.... :nopity:
Through the valley....

CLEP - College Math - 66
DSST - Substance Abuse - 463
DSST - Business Ethics & Society - 466
DSST - Management Information Sys - 459
DSST - Astronomy - 62
CLEP - Business Law I - 69
CLEP - Info Sys & Computer App - 61
CLEP - Natural Sciences - 59
CLEP - English Comp - 62
CLEP - Principles of Mgmt - 74
CLEP - Principles of Mktg - 69

Total $ Saved: $15,000
...6 classes until graduation - UMUC
ShotoJuku Wrote:[B][COLOR="Navy"]NA Vs RA....again?

NA (DETC, TRACS, ABHE, or ACE Reviewed) = 14k Gold

NA (ACCCT, ACCET, ACICS) = 10k Gold

... is treated more like bronze or aluminum. No love from recruiters Sad
Through the valley....

CLEP - College Math - 66
DSST - Substance Abuse - 463
DSST - Business Ethics & Society - 466
DSST - Management Information Sys - 459
DSST - Astronomy - 62
CLEP - Business Law I - 69
CLEP - Info Sys & Computer App - 61
CLEP - Natural Sciences - 59
CLEP - English Comp - 62
CLEP - Principles of Mgmt - 74
CLEP - Principles of Mktg - 69

Total $ Saved: $15,000
...6 classes until graduation - UMUC

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 302 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,249 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,570 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,734 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  School Psychologists?? Vle045 3 917 01-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  U of Michigan removes School President bjcheung77 0 569 01-15-2022, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Worst School Name Alpha 13 2,098 10-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  Should taxpayers fund any and every choice in school and/or major? sanantone 14 1,685 08-19-2021, 01:19 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Back 2 School - Buy Mac/iPad - get AirPods + 20% off AppleCare bjcheung77 0 680 06-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  For Sale: Virtual High School with AP bjcheung77 11 1,770 06-01-2021, 01:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore