Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yb1 Applying for Grad School Thread
This thread will be used to document my personal experience applying for Grad school.

I am going to be applying for anything related to information assurance, cybersecurity.

I have finished at TESU in CIS + General Management. I have hardly any professional work experience, and besides volunteer work I have an internship in IT. The rest of my experience is more HR, and various labor positions.

The schools I have chosen:

University of Maryland Baltimore County - 20k Cybersecurity Program (Number 1)

Towson University- 17k Information Technology with a focus in Information Security

Marymount University- 37k https://www.marymount.edu/Academics/Scho...-)/Careers

George Washington University - 30-35k I will be missing the deadlines for the two programs that they offer. If I do decide to apply it would be for Spring 2018

George Mason - 50k program.

UMUC - 25k, last on my list. I wish they would change the school to Maryland State University or something. I hear mix things about UMUC in IT I hear they don't really care but if I am going to pay 25k for a school I want one with a decent brick & mortar location.

None of these schools require GRE/GMAT scores, they are designed for working professionals. Most have online classes except UMBC which is face to face with some hybrid. UMBC is my Number 1 choice. The only thing I hate about UMBC is the MPS label. but other then that on the surface it looks like a fine program. I am going to be visiting it soon.

Marymount is my second choice but the cost of 37 still bothers me. The cost is nearly double Towson but I don't like the class choices Towson has. A lot of decisions to make, for sure.

https://www.marymount.edu/Academics/Scho...ersecurity

This program it is a MBA + CS degree. But the cost together I imagine would be roughly 75k. That and having to take 57 credits. This program does require the GMAT but a waiver can be issued. It is also not out yet and comes out sometime in 2018. Although you could start the CS classes first if you wanted.

Oh and in case anyone is wondering why I picked these schools. I went by NSA/DHS Current National CAE Designated Institutions list, then picked schools in close proximity to DC, and finally the likelihood of being able to get in. Meaning UMD College Park, and John Hopkins I am not getting into. It is not happening. Towson is the furthest away from DC being located north of Baltimore.
TESU BSBA (Dual Degree)
Computer Information Systems
General Management

Completed June 2017

For those wondering:
CIS AOS-
TEEX- Bus for IT + IT Professional = 4 UL
Study.com- Digital Marketing = 3 UL
University- Hardware Support Esentials = 4 LL C
Ed4credit- MIS = 3 UL C
SL- C++ Programming 4 UL
CSU Global - System Analysis & Design = 3 C

Gen Man AOS-
Study.com- HRM, Digital Marketing,
SL - Cost Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Organzitional Behavior.
DAU- Contact Administration, Defense Procurement Management

Will be following.
I just got accepted to UMBC for their Master of Information Systems, I've also applied to UMUC Cybersecurity program (application fee waived) and I'm looking to apply to Townson's Masters of information technology. Whatever you do make sure you don't apply to Bowie state University's MIS program, I've yet to hear from them. They are the most ghetto state university of all time, VERY SAD!
Done!
timokito Wrote:I just got accepted to UMBC for their Master of Information Systems, I've also applied to UMUC Cybersecurity program (application fee waived) and I'm looking to apply to Townson's Masters of information technology. Whatever you do make sure you don't apply to Bowie state University's MIS program, I've yet to hear from them. They are the most ghetto state university of all time, VERY SAD!

congratulations. That is awesome.

Wow it looks like you do you not need the GRE for MIS program at UMBC. I had thought that you did due to my research before. I guess I was wrong.

Interesting. It looks like a very good program.

How come you didn't apply for UMBC Cybersecurity but you applied for UMUC Cybersecurity program? Are you doing everything on-line?

I looked at Bowie State but not for very long.

Have you looked at any other programs?

Oh and how did you get an application waiver for UMUC
TESU BSBA (Dual Degree)
Computer Information Systems
General Management

Completed June 2017

For those wondering:
CIS AOS-
TEEX- Bus for IT + IT Professional = 4 UL
Study.com- Digital Marketing = 3 UL
University- Hardware Support Esentials = 4 LL C
Ed4credit- MIS = 3 UL C
SL- C++ Programming 4 UL
CSU Global - System Analysis & Design = 3 C

Gen Man AOS-
Study.com- HRM, Digital Marketing,
SL - Cost Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Organzitional Behavior.
DAU- Contact Administration, Defense Procurement Management

You might be interested in applying for a CyberCorps Scholarship. The schools you are applying to are all participants.
https://www.sfs.opm.gov/StudFAQ.aspx

List of participating colleges: https://www.sfs.opm.gov/StudFAQ.aspx

6. What costs do the SFS program scholarships cover?
Typically, the scholarships provide academic year stipends of up to $22,500 per year for undergraduate students and up to $34,000 for graduate students. In addition, SFS scholarships may cover expenses normally incurred by full-time students in the institution, including tuition, and education-related fees (does not include items such as meal plans, housing or parking), a health insurance reimbursement allowance up to $3,000 per year; a professional development allowance of $4,000 for the SFS Job Fair and other travel, professional certification, etc., and a book allowance of $2,000 per academic year. Each participating institution manages their SFS grant. The actual amounts of the scholarship and what is covered will vary by institution. For specific information at a particular institution you must contact the Principal Investigator (PI) at that institution.

7. When, and for how long, can I get a scholarship?
This can vary by university depending on the program. Typically the scholarship can be awarded for three years of a bachelor’s- or master’s-level program; three years of study where the student is receiving both the bachelor’s and the master’s degree; three years in combined bachelor’s and master’s degree (“five year”Wink programs; or for the three years of research-based doctoral-level study.
Best wishes to you yb1! I have heard good things about UMUC's cybersecurity masters program. Per my understanding, it is well respected with employers in the DMV area.
yb1 Wrote:UMBC is my Number 1 choice.

I would just apply to the top two that you're interested in, if you want, do the top three.
If you have been accepted at either, then you're good to go. The third is a "backup".
Either way, you should be fine with your decision, for me - I would go with the "wallet".
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I picked the MS in Information systems because I can take my electives in Cybersecurity.
Done!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB Master Thread MrsBulletPoints 2,666 516,714 1 hour ago
Last Post: nykorn
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 883 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,843 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,343 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,280 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,244 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,272 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,408 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,352 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,062 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina