Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yeah I failed thanks instantcert!
Everyone,

I know this sounds mean, but I'm really starting to question instantcert and the intentions of the webpage writers.

Go into US History 1 early colonization. I saw about 15 questions that were asked repeatedly. This made me wonder if some of the questions were actually valid or if someone actually looked at these "flash-cards" right. Why ask the same questions over???

So I took my test today and I would say, out of 120 questions about 25 of them I could reference from all the cards I studied. Everything else was so ridciulously hard. Where a particular event took place or person, they would ask on the test, "how do you think this person would have felt during this time..."

Or better yet, an association of people and thoughts where you had to cross reference and figure out which one didn't go correctly. I don't care how much you study on this webpage. It's useless when you look at the "material" they offer here.

I got a 48 and I needed a 50. So, yeah I'm pissed off pretty bad.

I'm going to give this webpage one more time and study everything that they have to offer for computer and here's to your health. Good thing I didn't have to pay the CLEP center, otherwise I would have REALLY been pissed.

Until then,

Thanks for nothing instantcert. Keep my 60-80 bucks and screw over the next person in line.
First off, sorry to hear of the fail...most of us have had a misstep on the road to our goal; mine was the ECE Org Behavior test. I did study harder then went back and squeaked by...not sure why, but that class kicked my butt.

Seeing as this is your first post, can I ask you how you are using the IC cards? How long are you studying them, what is your method, are you supplementing them with any other online source or textbooks? More insight to your study techniques might help us to help you.

Hope to hear from you soon.
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
[COLOR="Navy"]It's easy to become bitter, or even mad and angry over failing an exam but in the longrun, and in this case, you just cannot redirect all of your bitterness towards one particular study source.....unless that's all you used and that would have been a huge mistake.

Yes, IC does provide an incredible singular source of information, however IC is just a single source and when preparing for an exam it is foolish to put all of your "study eggs" in one basket.

In the end it is incredibly important to note that IC works, but IC should not stand alone as a single study resource.[/COLOR]

ShotoJuku Wrote:[SIZE="2"]
Shoto-Advice:
[SIZE="3"]"[/SIZE]EC[SIZE="3"]"[/SIZE]
"CCU"
"Prayer"
"A Pass is a Pass"
"Slow and Steady - Wins the Race"
[B][I]“Sometimes The Easy Way Is Not Always The Best Way”

"Passing a Petersons = Conquering a CLEP -or- Defeating a DSST"
"The 5 R's of Study: Repetition - Re-Enforces - Recognition - Recall - Retention"[/B][/I]
"Always be Ready to Release Your Mind & Incorporate the Advice of Others into Your Plans."
"Studying is much like Boiling Water, if it is not Heated Constantly it will Once Again Become Cold Water."

Other Sources of CLEP & DSST Study Material
REA Books, Comex Books, Pass Your Class Guides, Standard Deviants DVD's, Petersons Practice Exams, [COLOR="Gold"]Dummies Books, Idiot's Guides [/COLOR]. Big Grin[/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
I'm sorry to hear that you failed but I strongly disagree with you on the value of instacert. Instacert is a valuable tool but it is only one of many tools. I suggest broadening your study materials to include wikipedia, REA prep books, and peterson's practice tests. Also, don't forget the IC exam specific feedback section. That can be even more valuable than the flashcards depending upon the exam.
DEGREES EARNED: [SIZE="1"]
BA, History, TESC '10
AAS, Mechanics and Maintenance, TESC '10
[/size]
TESTS PASSED:[SIZE="1"]
CLEP Social Sciences & History - 70/50
CLEP American Government - 65/50
CLEP English Composition General - 68/50
CLEP A & I Literature 70/50
CLEP Sociology 73/50
CLEP College Math 74/50
CLEP Intro Psychology 72/50
CLEP College Algebra 65/50
CLEP Macroeconomics 73/50
CLEP Microeconomics 70/50
CLEP Western Civ. I 79/50
CLEP Western Civ. II 70/50
CLEP US History I 79/50
CLEP US History II 78/50
DSST Technical Writing 63/46
DSST Intro to Computing 463/400
DSST Substance Abuse 463/400
DSST Fundamentals of Algebra 433/400
DSST World Religions 467/400
DSST The Civil War and Reconstruction 68/47
DSST A History of the Vietnam War 78/44
DSST An Introduction to the Modern Middle East 80/47
DSST Western Europe since 1945 71/47
DSST Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 70/45

[SIZE="2"]ON DECK:[/SIZE]

A B.E. or an MBA
[/SIZE]
Alright,

Yes I did study other sources and outside text books, but I USED IC as a baseline of what I should study.

If that's wrong, then what's the point of using IC?????

I mean, everyone needs a starting point on what they should study and distinguish weak and strong points, correct?

If IC isn't going to help someone establish that, than what's the point in using it???

I studied for a month on this subject in the local library. Just last week I started actually writing down what I was reading. In psychology I was taught that if you read something, write something down, and teach it to someone, the retention rate goes up a lot. Tried to apply this study tactic as best as I could.

I appreciate everyone's concern and trying to help. I really do, but I don't appreciate when someone patronizes me and tells me I should have studied harder, not use IC as a primary source, and not bitch and get bitter if you fail.

I suppose I need a reminder of why one should pay 20 dollars a month (since these ads explain how easy it is to use and pass exams).

I feel like the true 20 dollars is just going to all of you that open a more outstanding line of communciation. Too bad AOL doesn't have something like this or Navy Knowledge Online gets with the program of a nice "CLEP Forum".
Study aid not a cheat sheet. Sorry to hear about the fail. But if you are trying to get people to leave the site, I know myself and others have been here for a long time. Its more for chatting in this forum, venting on tests and life, shoot the crap and yes to study. I have to say I used the main part of instacert and while they do not have every test that is out there. The ones that they do have are pretty close.
I would say study again and try again you didnt fail by that far off.

Rescueswimmer85 Wrote:Everyone,

I know this sounds mean, but I'm really starting to question instantcert and the intentions of the webpage writers.

Go into US History 1 early colonization. I saw about 15 questions that were asked repeatedly. This made me wonder if some of the questions were actually valid or if someone actually looked at these "flash-cards" right. Why ask the same questions over???

So I took my test today and I would say, out of 120 questions about 25 of them I could reference from all the cards I studied. Everything else was so ridciulously hard. Where a particular event took place or person, they would ask on the test, "how do you think this person would have felt during this time..."

Or better yet, an association of people and thoughts where you had to cross reference and figure out which one didn't go correctly. I don't care how much you study on this webpage. It's useless when you look at the "material" they offer here.

I got a 48 and I needed a 50. So, yeah I'm pissed off pretty bad.

I'm going to give this webpage one more time and study everything that they have to offer for computer and here's to your health. Good thing I didn't have to pay the CLEP center, otherwise I would have REALLY been pissed.

Until then,

Thanks for nothing instantcert. Keep my 60-80 bucks and screw over the next person in line.
[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]"Oh, get a job? Just get a job? Why don't I strap on my job helmet, and squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into job land, where jobs grow on jobbies!" Its always sunny in Philadelphia.

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]tesc credit banked
FEMA IS courses- alot

Aleks completed-many of them

Cleps:Spanish 67

Associates in psychology UOP
TESC BA in psychology[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

attempting currently
Masters in counseling
Rescueswimmer85 Wrote:Alright,

Yes I did study other sources and outside text books, but I USED IC as a baseline of what I should study.

If that's wrong, then what's the point of using IC?????

I mean, everyone needs a starting point on what they should study and distinguish weak and strong points, correct?

If IC isn't going to help someone establish that, than what's the point in using it???

I studied for a month on this subject in the local library. Just last week I started actually writing down what I was reading. In psychology I was taught that if you read something, write something down, and teach it to someone, the retention rate goes up a lot. Tried to apply this study tactic as best as I could.

I appreciate everyone's concern and trying to help. I really do, but I don't appreciate when someone patronizes me and tells me I should have studied harder, not use IC as a primary source, and not bitch and get bitter if you fail.

I suppose I need a reminder of why one should pay 20 dollars a month (since these ads explain how easy it is to use and pass exams).

I feel like the true 20 dollars is just going to all of you that open a more outstanding line of communciation. Too bad AOL doesn't have something like this or Navy Knowledge Online gets with the program of a nice "CLEP Forum".

Dude, the owner of instacert will be more than happy to give you the $20.00 bucks back. He or she has more than enough people returning every month.
[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]"Oh, get a job? Just get a job? Why don't I strap on my job helmet, and squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into job land, where jobs grow on jobbies!" Its always sunny in Philadelphia.

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]tesc credit banked
FEMA IS courses- alot

Aleks completed-many of them

Cleps:Spanish 67

Associates in psychology UOP
TESC BA in psychology[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

attempting currently
Masters in counseling
You failed using instacert. You are the exception.

The overwhelming majority of us passed using instacert. We are the rule.

You, the exception, do not justify the rule.

Perhaps you're a poor test taker, or suffer from terrible pre-test anxiety. Perhaps your just an idiot. Whatever the case may be, without a change in attitude you can count on being that old crusty guy on the ship still wearing cracker jacks with a gazillion service stripes, gold chevrons, and one, forever stuck at second or third. You know, the one the new non-rates from great mistakes scratch there head about and wonder "What happened to this guy? how come he didn't make chief? I don't wanna be like him!"
DEGREES EARNED: [SIZE="1"]
BA, History, TESC '10
AAS, Mechanics and Maintenance, TESC '10
[/size]
TESTS PASSED:[SIZE="1"]
CLEP Social Sciences & History - 70/50
CLEP American Government - 65/50
CLEP English Composition General - 68/50
CLEP A & I Literature 70/50
CLEP Sociology 73/50
CLEP College Math 74/50
CLEP Intro Psychology 72/50
CLEP College Algebra 65/50
CLEP Macroeconomics 73/50
CLEP Microeconomics 70/50
CLEP Western Civ. I 79/50
CLEP Western Civ. II 70/50
CLEP US History I 79/50
CLEP US History II 78/50
DSST Technical Writing 63/46
DSST Intro to Computing 463/400
DSST Substance Abuse 463/400
DSST Fundamentals of Algebra 433/400
DSST World Religions 467/400
DSST The Civil War and Reconstruction 68/47
DSST A History of the Vietnam War 78/44
DSST An Introduction to the Modern Middle East 80/47
DSST Western Europe since 1945 71/47
DSST Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 70/45

[SIZE="2"]ON DECK:[/SIZE]

A B.E. or an MBA
[/SIZE]
Resueswimmer--

Sorry to hear that you failed your exam!

A failing score is never good, but you should look at it from the perspective that InstantCert got you within two points of a passing score--if you had gotten just a couple of more questions right, you would have gotten a passing score.

Now for a lot of people, they manage to study only InstantCert and achieve a passing score, but you need to find out what works for YOU. Imagine--if you had just spent an extra hour or two on the discussion forum here in the Specific Feedback section, doing a little reading up on Wikipedia on topics recommended by other members, that probably would have been more than enough to push you over the top.

Instead of looking for someone to blame, you should use this as an opportunity to fine-tune your study approach and make sure you never fail again. The good thing about InstantCert is that you know that in your case, it'll probably get you at least 95% of the way there. I would recommend for your next test that you study InstantCert closely (read everything--don't just memorize the blanks--study the explanations closely too), and then spend an extra couple of hours doing some additional supplementary study.

No study resource you find is going to be 100% on-the-mark (i.e. you're never going to go in and recognize all of the answers right off the bat; there's always going to be educated guessing involved) unless they're handing you a copy of the test. We obviously don't do that; our goal is to teach you the fundamentals of the subject, which is generally enough for you to go in and figure out enough answers to achieve a passing score.

If you have any further concerns or questions, please feel free to write me directly at webmaster@instantcert.com
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
hate to say this but its probably you. Based on your depth of studt Either your not a test taker or the subject isn't your forte.

instacert saved me over 3500 and probably much more in gas money and time in some boring classroom, IT WORKS. It might not be for everybody but IT WORKS!

Rhashad Hicks
Liberty University, DBA
starting 02/2023

Western Governors University, MBA
Organization & Strategy 2013
Educational Design 2021

TESC Bachelors (18 Months)
American History 2011

CLEP
English Comp w/essay | A & I literature | American Government | Prin. of Management | Prin. of Marketing | Intro to computers | Business Law | Intro to Sociology | Psychology | social sciences & history | U.S. History I | U.S. History II | Human Growth & Dev. | Educational Psych | Microeconomics | Macroeconomics

DANTES
Civil War & Recon. | Technical Writing | Prin. of Supervision | History of Vietnam | Organizational Behavior | Substance abuse | Management Info Systems | Intro to Business | Principles of Counseling | Modern Middle East

ALEKS
Beg. Algebra | Intermediate Algebra | Pre-Calculus | Business Statistics

STRAIGHTERLINE
Accounting I | Accounting II

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NFL Preseason starts 8/5/21 Yeah Boi! GizmoJack 0 435 07-25-2021, 02:03 PM
Last Post: GizmoJack
  Excelsior Graduate earns Master's degree. Oh yeah, she's 14 MNomadic 7 1,666 06-17-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  I've lost access to the "Specific Exam Feedback - InstantCert Subscribers ONLY" group Nerdymcnerdface 9 3,641 09-27-2019, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Zham
  Instantcert mobile app??? mlwilliamsiv 1 1,763 02-19-2018, 07:14 PM
Last Post: zapproximator
  Traditional Education failed me...as well as famed creator Thomas Edison TESUAbroad 0 989 01-26-2017, 01:53 AM
Last Post: TESUAbroad
  Question concerning ALEKS, Instantcert Shenny 4 1,595 11-21-2016, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Shenny
  Delete InstantCert Posts Clarebugg 9 2,527 10-13-2016, 07:38 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  InstantCert Ranks Clarebugg 4 1,542 10-06-2016, 09:45 PM
Last Post: Lindagerr
  I Appreciate you Instantcert TESUAbroad 3 1,372 09-15-2016, 11:00 AM
Last Post: ShotoJuku
  Home failed inspection.. miserably burbuja0512 21 2,992 02-28-2014, 08:01 PM
Last Post: merolpn