Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Yet another thread with questions about the Capstone...
I have a few questions about how to approach various requirements of the first written assignment for the Liberal Arts Capstone. Most of these questions stem from the requirement of things that I don't think I've seen in a research paper before, so maybe I'm just not looking at it the right way, and hoping y'all can help. But first, I just want to check - this assignment does eventually become part of my capstone, right? I'm not supposed to write my introduction as well as a separate written assignment that checks all these boxes (while keeping my actual paper free from the "weird" elements that seem out of place in a research paper), right?

Anyway, on to my specific questions:

First, the requirement to describe your personal interest in the topic. This is juxtaposed against the requirement to not use first or second person language. How can I describe my personal interest in a topic without using words like "I" or "my"? Does anyone have any examples of this?

Second, the requirement to "Explore its relevance to professional life and of such a research project". This one isn't even a coherent sentence, and I have no idea what it requires. I'm guessing I am just supposed to explain how my topic is relevant to the world?

Next, the requirement to "list the key words used to refine your topic or problem statement". I don't understand how this section is supposed to sound. I've seen keywords below the abstract, but I don't think I've seen them in the body of the paper before and I just don't know what that is supposed to look like.

"Identify intended audience" - I don't know that I've seen a research paper that does this. I've seen this as part of the writing process, but never seen it make its way into the paper. How would this sound?

"Indicate your voice as the writer (informer or advocate)" - This seems like it could be accomplished with just the tone that I strike. Do I need to explicitly state whether I will be informing or advocating, or is the mere act of doing so sufficient?

Provide a summary. Is this supposed to be a summary of the topic? A summary of the introduction that wraps it up and allows you to transition to the next section?

Another question: how long have people's first written assignments been? I wrote an introduction to my topic that is close to two pages, and leaves several boxes still to be checked from the written assignment checklist. Will I end up writing too much once I go and check all those boxes in the rest of my first assignment, do you think? I'm guessing not (I've got 40 pages to work with here), but I'm not too sure.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out - I'm very confused by the capstone right now, as I expected it to be much more of a traditional research paper, which would lack many of these elements that seem to be required, and which I'm struggling to find a way to integrate.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
This does not sound like it's going to be part of the paper itself. I think this is more introducing the topic to your mentor to get feedback before you start.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(11-07-2019, 11:50 AM)davewill Wrote: This does not sound like it's going to be part of the paper itself. I think this is more introducing the topic to your mentor to get feedback before you start.

That's kinda what it sounds like from the description. I just emailed the mentor to find out. The odd thing is that I've already introduced the topic through the discussion forum, and I had previously been under the impression that the written assignments were just writing the various parts of the Capstone. Hopefully my mentor responds back quickly - I will feel much better if what you're suggesting is true.
Completed:

Up Next:

I don’t know how the new Capstone course is structured, but I can tell you that the old course used all of your individual assignments in the final paper.

Writing in third person is definitely odd, but it’s doable with some creative thinking. It’s probably okay to refer to yourself now and then in the first person but overall they do want this sort of detached feeling to it. If it would be helpful, I have samples of all the assignments from the prior incarnation of this class. It might at least give you some ideas of what other people have done. Send me a dm if you’d like them.
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
(11-07-2019, 03:47 PM)TexasTink Wrote: I don’t know how the new Capstone course is structured, but I can tell you that the old course used all of your individual assignments in the final paper.

Writing in third person is definitely odd, but it’s doable with some creative thinking. It’s probably okay to refer to yourself now and then in the first person but overall they do want this sort of detached feeling to it. If it would be helpful, I have samples of all the assignments from the prior incarnation of this class. It might at least give you some ideas of what other people have done. Send me a dm if you’d like them.

That knowledge about the old course setup is what I had been basing my understanding on, but based on everything I've seen about the requirements I really hope that's changed and its separate now.

Certainly I can write in the third person generally, but it's hard to address questions like "What is *your* personal interest in the topic?" that way, unless I'm supposed to refer to myself as "the author".

Thanks to both of you for the input.
Completed:

Up Next:

I'm in the capstone right now and if you don't have samples, I can give them to you - my mentor posted them. I can email them to you if you need.
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 8 360 03-04-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
Lightbulb TESU - Course Transfer Questions mweichert 12 956 02-15-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Liberal Arts Capstone resistk 15 1,325 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM
  Register for Capstone Kones 12 1,038 12-04-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: resistk
  French international student questions about TESU BACS azuki 19 1,783 11-03-2023, 10:25 AM
  International students would like to ask some questions. Ron9 4 744 11-02-2023, 11:25 AM
  Study.com Transfer to TESU Questions Carnation 14 1,549 11-01-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  few questions about TESU sekiflying 3 414 08-20-2023, 11:13 AM