Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"You'll never get a job with an online degree."
This has probably been discussed, I've had some family members tell me I'm wasting my time with an online degree and no one will hire me. I've actually thought about this my self, I'm ok with missing out on a job because the other candidate has a degree from Harvard but I must admit I do have that fear of employers judging my school (WGU), especially because it's not well known like University of Phoenix or a more popular online program. In my case I have to go this route, I have 2 under 2 at home and a full time job, I cannot go to a brick and mortar program. I'm going forward with my plans, I'd rather have an online education than no education at all, haters..... Please tell me you're all happy with your decision and are gainfully employed :hurray:
***GOAL***Confusedeeya: Bachelors Healthcare Management WGU, MBA Concentration in Healthcare WGU

STRAIGHTERLINE
Sociology101
Organizational Behavior
English Comp 1
The Principles of Management
Business Law 110
Psychology 101
Business Ethics
Biology101
Philosophy
Principles of Accounting
College Algebra
SAYLOR
Environmental Ethics
CCA LVN 2011:coolgleam:
onmygo, I salute you... Good luck with WGU as I have plans to study there for Grad School.
Most, if not all online programs, won't even show up on your transcript or degree as "online".
A regionally accredited school degree is all you need, no need to fret how it was completed.

And many of the for profit schools such as UOP, or AIU, Devry, ITT Tech and many others charge an arm and a leg for their degrees. Just because they are larger and more popular doesn't mean they are better, they are going to go bankrupt as UOP has just sold their school rights and now are a private entity with less than 40% of their students at the peak of their popularity.

Those schools were thought by many as degree mills because they practically admitted anyone and graduated them as long as they paid for the classes and did their assignments, and passed their exams. My cousin actually paid 45 grand for a MBA to one of them and it was me who was laughing... I even told him his other school options, but he makes good cash. For me, I'm more frugal and cautious with everything as I have fallen for Nationally Accredited schools as a quick degree, but they lost their appeal as not many RA schools or future job prospects will look at them really.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
My feeling, based upon reading here at the forum and elsewhere is that you are more likely to have a more favorable impression with a lesser known school. Those "popular online programs" have a more negative reception for the most part. And with a lesser known school, why would you have to announce to a prospective employer that it was accomplished online? A good education is doable completely online at many many colleges and universities. Smile Smile Smile

Research (lots!) and then do what *you* feel comfortable with Wink
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
University of Pheonix and many other for profit schools, rightfully in many situations, have a garbage reputation. You're much better off with an online unknown school than UoP.

It's 2016. In general, no reasonable employer is judging degrees based upon the medium by which the education was delivered anymore. Will brick and mortar ivy league beat online state school? Yes, obviously. But it has nothing to do with the state school being online.

Will B&M state school beat online state school? No, because your potential employer doesn't have an indication of which way you obtained it, nor is it relevant in 2016.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
onmygo Wrote:..... Please tell me you're all happy with your decision and are gainfully employed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gainful_employment

1: nope
2: yes
3: ok
4: nope
5: nope
6: nope
7: meh
8: yuck
9: meh
I believe most people see college as a two tiered system. There are degrees from the Ivy League and then everything else. By the time you are out of your twenties, I doubt many employers are looking at where you got your degree and just checking off the requirement of - has degree.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
99% nonsense, stay away from the known bad guys like u of Phoenix and you will be fine. The vast majority of employers don't know one school from another. More and more regular old brick and mortar schools have select courses online if not full online programs.... Even Harvard has a whole college dedicated to distance learning it's been around since 1910.

Besides all that, of you really can't return to a regular pants in seat school then online seems a reasonable option...what's the other choice? Do nothing and have no degree from anywhere?

My COSC undergrad combined with my WGU Masters has doubled my pay and trippled my responsibility. Go do it, you will be better for it.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
UptonSinclair Wrote:I believe most people see college as a two tiered system. There are degrees from the Ivy League and then everything else. By the time you are out of your twenties, I doubt many employers are looking at where you got your degree and just checking off the requirement of - has degree.

I'm going to have to disagree. Some schools, like Stanford and MIT, have equal standing with the Ivies. Honestly, Stanford and MIT are better than some of the Ivies. The "Public Ivies" also have more prestige than Podunk State U. I think most people would be more impressed by a degree from the College of William and Mary than one from COSC or TESU. In some fields, such as accounting at the Big 4 and law, program rankings matter a lot.

Other than that, the school is not all that important as long as it has the right accreditation and isn't an embarrassment such as IV Tech, University of Penis, Deprive University, Everclear College, Deadwood College, and Kap 'Em University. Slayer University, Cahella University, and Wall 'Em University are a little less known, but there is still a slight risk of them carrying a stigma.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
It Gov't not always. We have turn down numerous Ivy types. We look in the interview who will FIT into our culture! When I am on the hiring board I could care less where the degree comes from.

jsd Wrote:Will brick and mortar ivy league beat online state school? Yes, obviously. But it has nothing to do with the state school being online.

Will B&M state school beat online state school? No, because your potential employer doesn't have an indication of which way you obtained it, nor is it relevant in 2016.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Well obviously I'm speaking in general terms. An incompetent jerk is an incompetent jerk no matter their education.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 29 6,005 3 hours ago
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 12 845 04-20-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 713 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 298 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 686 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 435 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,451 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 354 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 784 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,824 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden