Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
clarification on "major / minor"
Sorry for the n00b question, but I'm curious and the internet doesn't have any info on this. 

Those of you that are pursuing BA in X with an Associates in X (like I am considering) would one declare this is as the same as when you say you have a "major in X / minor in X?" 

Thanks for clarifying!

D Smile
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
You don't tell people what you have a minor in generally.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
A major the main subject of your degree. Sometimes you can have more than one major. TESU calls that a dual area of study, but it's basically the same thing. I consider it roughly equivalent to getting two degrees.

A minor is a subject added onto a degree. It (usually) has less coursework in the subject than a major would. Sometimes the minor is adding some sort of specialty, for example, a BS in Biology with a minor in Human Genetics. Other times is just an extra, like getting a BS in Computer Science with a minor in Math. In either case, the person took some number of extra classes in the minor subject. In neither case is the minor as good as having a full degree in the subject.

(07-03-2019, 10:57 AM)udi Wrote: You don't tell people what you have a minor in generally.

Certainly you would list the minor on your resume. If you don't tell anyone, what's the point of doing it?
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(07-03-2019, 11:24 AM)davewill Wrote: A major the main subject of your degree. Sometimes you can have more than one major. TESU calls that a dual area of study, but it's basically the same thing. I consider it roughly equivalent to getting two degrees.

A minor is a subject added onto a degree. It (usually) has less coursework in the subject than a major would. Sometimes the minor is adding some sort of specialty, for example, a BS in Biology with a minor in Human Genetics. Other times is just an extra, like getting a BS in Computer Science with a minor in Math. In either case, the person took some number of extra classes in the minor subject. In neither case is the minor as good as having a full degree in the subject.

(07-03-2019, 10:57 AM)udi Wrote: You don't tell people what you have a minor in generally.

Certainly you would list the minor on your resume. If you don't tell anyone, what's the point of doing it?

There are two reasons why I would not. The question was regarding referencing an associate's degree as a minor. Technically, it's different, but depending on the circle, it's more nuanced and people often say their associate's subject is their minor.

A minor doesn't indicate enough experience in the subject to be useful. If someone used their minor to indicate a qualification, during an interview, it would indicate they didn't know much about it. It could actually hurt if they think they know enough about a subject because they minored in it.

Admittedly, in come cases, interviews, etc, it might be useful to indicate interest in a subject.
OnlineDegree

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
It seems improper to say you minored in something unless your school actually gave you a minor in that subject. I mean for example, say someone did an associates in early child education somewhere, then later attended business school for a business degree. That new school probably doesn't even offer any classes in ECE. I think that's misleading and strange to act like you majored in business and minored in ECE. Instead I would just say the bachelors degree major and have a separate entry for the associates degree and what it was in.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • davewill
(07-03-2019, 12:39 PM)Ideas Wrote: It seems improper to say you minored in something unless your school actually gave you a minor in that subject. I mean for example, say someone did an associates in early child education somewhere, then later attended business school for a business degree. That new school probably doesn't even offer any classes in ECE. I think that's misleading and strange to act like you majored in business and minored in ECE. Instead I would just say the bachelors degree major and have a separate entry for the associates degree and what it was in.

Yes, but people do it all of the time -- innocently. It goes back to -- nobody will ask what your associate's or minor is in for the most part.
OnlineDegree

Study

Saylor.org
Hmm, basically, I would only list that I have a Bachelors in ABC and an Associates in XYZ.
I would keep it concise and simple. Here's the reasoning...

1) A Bachelors minor concentration will contain Upper Level courses, the Associates are all Lower Level.
Associates level degrees do not have majors or minors, I usually name them the area or subject of study.
Majors or Minors are usually associated with Bachelors level degrees.
It depends really on how people in Academia or in different positions see things.

2) A major is usually 30+ credits, a minor concentration is generally 15+ credits.
Think of it as a BSBA, it's a business major, with different options for AOS (area of study) of your choice.
The same goes with a BALS, you have concentrations to select from if you ever wanted.
Each of these examples have a major, and you can select from a different concentration if you wanted.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Ideas
(07-03-2019, 01:04 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: A Bachelors minor concentration will contain Upper Level courses, the Associates are all Lower Level.

This nails it on the head. 

In building my degrees, I noticed that most of what comprised the Comp Sci AOS in the ASNAM is all "Intro to X" coursework. That's hardly much of anything, at the end of the day.

Then I'd love to hear the motivation behind us all getting the additional associates degree when we are pursuing a BA/BS. It is just because it's cheaper to, to avoid fees by graduating together with them, etc, and NOTHING more than that?

Is this leading to a better argument to pursue dual bachelors' degrees at the same time instead?

Thanks,

D Smile
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
The associate's degree is usually a step in the process of fulfilling undergraduate requirements and or transferring to another school. Sometimes, your next school will accept more courses if you graduated. We usually dissuade people from trying to get an associate's unnecessarily because it's unlikely to benefit you if you're already getting the bachelor's. There may be some courses in the associate's degree that are useful.
OnlineDegree

Study

Saylor.org
(07-03-2019, 11:57 AM)udi Wrote: [quote pid='291793' dateline='1562171048']

There are two reasons why I would not. The question was regarding referencing an associate's degree as a minor. Technically, it's different, but depending on the circle, it's more nuanced and people often say their associate's subject is their minor.

[/quote]

I've not actually heard of anyone doing this - ever.  Obviously, this is lying.

I worked in HR for many years, and no one has ever said they had a minor, we checked, and they didn't and it was an AA/AS.  Never.

I don't think people do this.  It's not a thing.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,519 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 366 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Amberton website (major) redesign allvia 8 747 08-02-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Maniac Craniac
  Labor Market Outcomes of College Graduates by Major by New Yotk Fed 2023 learnforlife 0 704 03-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: learnforlife
  Degree choices. BA Supply chain management vs BLS with an MIS minor Schlafen 12 1,033 01-31-2023, 12:06 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  Major Regret? See How These Americans Feel About Their College Degrees LevelUP 4 792 11-26-2022, 02:13 AM
Last Post: Johann
  ROI by major and college sanantone 8 973 09-03-2022, 02:57 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  As an IT major, I decided not to go to any grad school nomaduser 24 1,840 05-08-2022, 03:24 AM
Last Post: Johann
  GetEducated.com Major Update (business degrees) freeloader 1 715 04-06-2022, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Some major "I'm done" kudos to degreeforum peeps studyingfortests 7 1,246 01-01-2022, 07:14 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests