Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
degree plans and choosing what site/group to test with
hello all. i've done enough research and dilly dallying and have made the decision to begin this process in earnest. i admit that going into i had high hopes of being able to do it in 6 months. i now see 10 - 12 months as more reasonable.

initially i had decided on a psychology degree, but am unsure about the overall difficulty. from what i've gathered, the different tests out there vary in difficulty and length of time required to complete.

i'd like an education but the truth is that i'm more seeking to get a degree on the quick so as to teach english overseas. with that said, what is the general consensus about the least difficult and most cost efficient exams for someone who (somewhat dubiously) wants to get a degree.
From a money perspective the cheapest are:

CLEPs through Modern States (Free)
OnlineDegree.com ($9 per test)
Saylor.org ($25 per test)

If you end up at TESU, the Study.com discount is so good that you'll want to do at least 1 course with Study.com, and since one month's fees includes two exams, you might as well do two. There are also a handful of free courses out there.

Easiest is strictly in the eyes of the beholder. Some like taking tests, others prefer doing papers and projects. In general, the fastest courses are going to be ones where you already have most of the knowledge.

P.S. If you'll post what you have, we can better advise you on specific courses to take.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Davewill is spot on for cost effective options. As far as online course providers go, most people prefer SL or SDC for the majority of their courses. If you maximize promo codes at SL, they can be very cost effective. Since SDC has the most UL options, there's a good chance you may end up there at some point anyway.

If you're set on TESU, the LL gen Ed requirements are very similar for most all of their degrees so you can start with those and decide on your degree later if you want. Either way, you'll need written communication (x2), Civic learning, ethics, diversity, math/quantitative literacy, info literacy, human culture (x3+), gen ed and free electives.

I'd just get started today if I were you. IMO the Best place to start is with the free ethics course and free Sophia courses.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(12-03-2018, 05:49 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Davewill is spot on for cost effective options. As far as online course providers go, most people prefer SL or SDC for the majority of their courses. If you maximize promo codes at SL, they can be very cost effective. Since SDC has the most UL options, there's a good chance you may end up there at some point anyway.

If you're set on TESU, the LL gen Ed requirements are very similar for most all of their degrees so you can start with those and decide on your degree later if you want. Either way, you'll need written communication (x2), Civic learning, ethics, diversity, math/quantitative literacy, info literacy, human culture (x3+), gen ed and free electives.

I'd just get started today if I were you. IMO the Best place to start is with the free ethics course and free Sophia courses.

thanks davewill and mnomadic. i just took the ethics course and passed it on the second try. im feeling pretty excited as it was pretty simple, yet honestly exhausting being that i haven't tested for anything in some time. 

@dave so, about this discount that TESU has with study.com, how would i get that? i was of the understanding that tesu wouldn't be involved at all until the end of my testing process, ie almost the whole time. save for their capstone/cornerstone business. also, do you have a better suggestion for a psych BA other than TESU? it most appealed to me because theres a great plan out there for it.
If you are just wanting any degree, and plan on teaching English overseas, then you can't go wrong with the BALS degree.  At either TESU or COSC.

COSC will be the cheapest, but there may still be reasons to choose TESU if you want.

There's a recent thread that talks about the differences between TESU and COSC if you want to read it.

Here's a degree plan for each.  It assumes that you're paying $100 or so per course, but honestly, you can get it down from that quite a bit with a little work (per davewill's post).

Attached Files
.pdf   TESU BALS.pdf (Size: 60.01 KB / Downloads: 17)
.pdf   COSC BA generic.pdf (Size: 45.71 KB / Downloads: 12)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-03-2018, 03:47 PM)turborelaxation Wrote: hello all. i've done enough research and dilly dallying and have made the decision to begin this process in earnest. i admit that going into i had high hopes of being able to do it in 6 months. i now see 10 - 12 months as more reasonable.

initially i had decided on a psychology degree, but am unsure about the overall difficulty. from what i've gathered, the different tests out there vary in difficulty and length of time required to complete.

i'd like an education but the truth is that i'm more seeking to get a degree on the quick so as to teach english overseas. with that said, what is the general consensus about the least difficult and most cost efficient exams for someone who (somewhat dubiously) wants to get a degree.

If you want to prime yourself for some of the harder tests (I think the TECEP and UExcel tests would be in that category for *me* but had no trouble with CLEP/DSST) my advice is to take a test and find out.

That's exactly what I thought when I landed here - who hard are these tests?? So, I took one (passed) and that gave me a better understanding of what they were like and how to prepare. My whole AA from TESU is CLEP/DSST except for 1 class. It took me 6 months, and I wasn't especially fast- many have done it faster.
(12-03-2018, 05:58 PM)turborelaxation Wrote: thanks davewill and mnomadic. i just took the ethics course and passed it on the second try. im feeling pretty excited as it was pretty simple, yet honestly exhausting being that i haven't tested for anything in some time. 

@dave so, about this discount that TESU has with study.com, how would i get that? i was of the understanding that tesu wouldn't be involved at all until the end of my testing process, ie almost the whole time. save for their capstone/cornerstone business. also, do you have a better suggestion for a psych BA other than TESU? it most appealed to me because theres a great plan out there for it.

I actually recommend applying to TESU and sending them your old transcripts as soon as you are reasonably sure (enough to risk the $75 application fee) that you want to get your degree there. While you CAN technically wait until the last minute, there is no advantage to waiting, and there are advantages to applying early, like locking in the catalog and protecting yourself from some policy changes. The Study.com discount will save you substantial money both on tuition for the Capstone, and the residency waiver. Details here:

https://www.tesu.edu/studycom/costs-tuition

To get the discount, either become a SDC member, then apply to TESU and check the appropriate box, or you can apply to TESU first, then ask advising to add the discount after you have finished at least one course at SDC.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(12-04-2018, 12:39 PM)davewill Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 05:58 PM)turborelaxation Wrote: thanks davewill and mnomadic. i just took the ethics course and passed it on the second try. im feeling pretty excited as it was pretty simple, yet honestly exhausting being that i haven't tested for anything in some time. 

I actually recommend applying to TESU and sending them your old transcripts as soon as you are reasonably sure (enough to risk the $75 application fee) that you want to get your degree there. While you CAN technically wait until the last minute, there is no advantage to waiting, and there are advantages to applying early, like locking in the catalog and protecting yourself from some policy changes. The Study.com discount will save you substantial money both on tuition for the Capstone, and the residency waiver. Details here:

https://www.tesu.edu/studycom/costs-tuition

To get the discount, either become a SDC member, then apply to TESU and check the appropriate box, or you can apply to TESU first, then ask advising to add the discount after you have finished at least one course at SDC.

To build on what Davewill said, applying at TESU sooner rather than later has an additional benefit: taking the current $300, 1-credit cornerstone before they switch to requiring a full priced, full length, 3-credit course.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 149 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,448 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 478 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 765 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Test Specific thread dewisant 7 467 01-30-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,178 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,700 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 950 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd