Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What if you fail a TECEP?
I searched for this topic but the only answer i could find was from a couple years ago...

I may possibly need to use a tecep to renew my enrollment later this year BUT i am a bad test-taker and not totally confident i could pass one (which is the whole reason i went the study.com route and not the clep route)...

What happens if you fail one? does it not renew enrollment? and does it negatively affect your gpa?

thanks everyone, you guys and gals have been total life savers these last few weeks.
I've never failed a TECEP but I have failed to take one (dumb I know), and nothing happened.  I was still enrolled (I'd used it to stay enrolled that year) and I didn't get an F on my record or anything like that.
Achieved
BSBA - GM: TESU
BSc(Hons) Politics: University of Plymouth
GradCert in Computing: London Metropolitan University
Prince2 Certified
Lean Six Sigma Green Belt

In Progress
Certificate in Technology Leadership: Cornell University (free through employer)

Planned
Master in Public Administration: Marconi University
It has no impact on your GPA, and it does qualify as a enrollment renewal at TESU. With that said, choose a topic that you have a better chance of passing - no reason to waste the money spent.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Failed TECEP is the same as failing a course, you don't get credit for it, the only and main difference is, you don't get a letter grade in the course. And yes, it enrolls you for a year if you fail or forget to take the TECEP exam. I would choose a simple exam just to keep your enrollment and get 3 credits along the way.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
You can also withdraw from a TCEP and stay enrolled for the next year. The W shows up on your transcript.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DIGI-212's post:
  • cookderosa
TECEP grades do not affect your GPA.
You do not receive a letter grade for passing a TECEP exam. Grades are recorded as either CR (Credit) or NC (No Credit), and your official transcript will only reflect the exams you have successfully completed. In case you are wondering, the minimum score required to earn credit is equivalent to a letter grade of C. So even if you earn the lowest possible score to pass, you can still earn credit. Since your GPA will not be affected, it can be less stressful to take a TECEP exam than trying to ace it.
------------------

I graduated from TESU, and I can confirm all of this; for the TECEP that I failed, it's not on my transcript at all. For the TECEP that I didn't take (I can't remember withdrawing from it, but maybe I did?) the W is on my transcript. For the ones I passed, I got a CR.

None affected my GPA, which was entirely based on my Capstone grade.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • akr680, Caliokiegirl
I know this is an old thread. I found the info on the TESU website and it's odd that dfrecore's transcript says "Withdraw", while their website states that if you didn't test, withdrew or failed that this wouldn't show up at all on a transcript:

"TECEP grades are recorded as CR (Credit) or NC (No Credit) and do not affect the grade point average (GPA). Students who register but don't test or withdraw by the last day of the term will receive an NT (Not Taken) grade. An official transcript will not show a numeric score, a letter grade, an NC or NT grade, only exams successfully completed and the number of credits earned."

https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/e...cep-credit
(04-22-2020, 10:50 PM)ARhead Wrote: I know this is an old thread. I found the info on the TESU website and it's odd that dfrecore's transcript says "Withdraw", while their website states that if you didn't test, withdrew or failed that this wouldn't show up at all on a transcript:

"TECEP grades are recorded as CR (Credit) or NC (No Credit) and do not affect the grade point average (GPA). Students who register but don't test or withdraw by the last day of the term will receive an NT (Not Taken) grade. An official transcript will not show a numeric score, a letter grade, an NC or NT grade, only exams successfully completed and the number of credits earned."

https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/e...cep-credit

Just checked it again, and I definitely have a "W" on there.  BUT, it's from May of 2016, so maybe their policy has changed since then.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coopersmith Pass/Fail Score Dosada 1 76 Yesterday, 03:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Technical Writing TECEP - My Experience PreLawCoastie 2 619 03-14-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  Public Speaking TECEP PreLawCoastie 0 166 02-27-2024, 07:23 AM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  TECEP FIN-3210 Security Analysis & Portfolio Management fmsoa 2 438 01-18-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: CFPhopeful
  TECEP Admissions/Rate my sanity PreLawCoastie 10 924 01-11-2024, 06:05 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Abnormal Psychology TECEP is now available on InstantCert! sgloer 0 269 01-04-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: sgloer
  Managerial Comm TECEP saraholson 7 1,589 12-15-2023, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Dosada
  TECEP Federal Income Taxation Kones 9 869 12-13-2023, 09:23 PM
Last Post: Kones
  Help - how to register for TECEP exam? Carnation 4 338 11-23-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Carnation
  Learning in the Digital Age TECEP Avidreader 0 219 11-22-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Avidreader