Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
humanities vs social science
For Gen Ed I need one more subject under humanities (BALA). I'm seeing lists for humanities & social science having the same subjects.

One humanities list says:

• Economics

• Psychology

• History

• Political Science

• Geography

• Law

• Media Studies

• Entrepreneurship

• Physical Education

• Fashion Studies

• Fine Arts

• Informatics Practices

• Human Rights and Gender Studies

• Philosophy

• Sociology
Under humanities & ethics I have:

Introduction to Ethics
Ancient Greek Philosophers
Art History I

Under social science/history I have:

Macroecomomics
Introduction to Sociology
US History l
Intro to Psychology

I'm prominently looking at Saylor (for costs), can I pick any of the above subjects? Would Visual Communications count?

Also what course could I take to fullfill the Arts, Sciences & Applied Prof. Electives, I have 6 left to find
AFAIK, almost anything would fill arts, sciences, and applied professional electives. For Excelsior, A&S are: Humanities, Social Sciences, History, Natural Sciences, Mathematics. Applied professional would be things like computer science or business.

I would suggest using https://study.com/college/school/excelsior-college.html and matching it to courses on Saylor.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I would go the Sophia.org route instead of Saylor.org, you get to finish cheaper, easier, faster. Example, you need 20 courses, it's $99 at Sophia.org and you finish it in 1 month. It'll be the same cost at Saylor.org but will take you 40 days or longer for those... you could be done with other courses at CSM Learn or InstantCertCredit instead of using that time to review Saylor material which more times than others, have faulty links!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-22-2022, 01:33 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I would go the Sophia.org route instead of Saylor.org, you get to finish cheaper, easier, faster.  Example, you need 20 courses, it's $99 at Sophia.org and you finish it in 1 month.  It'll be the same cost at Saylor.org but will take you 40 days or longer for those... you could be done with other courses at CSM Learn or InstantCertCredit instead of using that time to review Saylor material which more times than others, have faulty links!

I only need 6 elective courses, gen ed complete minus 1 course (unless visual communication counts). I have already done Accounting, Ancient Greek, Art History 1 College Algebra English 1, Environmental Science, Human Biology, Intro to Ethics, Intro to IT, Intro to Psychology, Intro to Sociology, Intro to Web Development, Macroeconomics, US History 1, Visual Communications with Sophia.

No interest in business.
Not sure where your list came from, but here's what EC lists on their website: https://www.excelsior.edu/policy/general...uirements/

HUMANITIES
The humanities focus on the reflection and interpretation of the human experience. Through the development of knowledge and skills in critical reading, logical thought and aesthetic appreciation, courses examine the human environment with particular attention to diverse heritage, traditions and cultures.

Examples of subject areas in the humanities include, but are not limited to:

communication
ethics
fine arts
foreign languages
literature
music
philosophy
religion
theater

SOCIAL SCIENCES AND HISTORY
Social sciences and history study individuals and society and the processes individuals use to order and understand their world. The social sciences focus on theories that explain verifiable phenomena of individual and group human behavior, using the scientific method. History is the systematic study of people and events in the past.

Examples of subject areas in the social sciences/history include, but are not limited to:

anthropology
criminal justice (theory based, not applied criminal justice)
economics
geography
government
history
political science
psychology
sociology
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
At school history, geography, RE were humanities for me. oh will ENVS203: Environmental Ethics, Justice, and World Views it is to fill the last humanities course. I got the list from https://leverageedu.com/blog/humanities-subjects/
(05-22-2022, 04:34 PM)debrag Wrote: At school history, geography, RE were humanities for me. oh will ENVS203: Environmental Ethics, Justice, and World Views it is to fill the last humanities course. I got the list from https://leverageedu.com/blog/humanities-subjects/

When you choose a school, you need to choose THAT school's decisions on what are what.

TESU used to consider History a SocSci, they changed it to Humanities.  EC considers it a SocSci.  You can't go to EC and say "well TESU considers it a Humanities" because EC doesn't care.

That website is not a good one, as almost none of the courses listed are humanities at most schools.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
@debrag, that's a third party website. Usually, if not most of the time, you should always be reviewing the info on the institutions website. Sometimes the third party websites are out of date or flat out have info that are incorrect. It's so much better to review the requirements from the institution and if you have queries, email or call them...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
When I said school I meant high school or secondary school as it is in the UK.

No one has yet said if visual communications would be counted as a humanities as communications is a humanities for EC. I had already looked at their site, it does say 'are not limited to', so I wanted a subject that I actual liked, glad I was able to rush through the one's I have done. Gen Ed is so boring Wink
It should be a free elective in the humanities: https://www.excelsior.edu/partner/sophia/
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bachelors of Science in Business BigJohn1975 10 592 04-01-2024, 06:41 PM
Last Post: Dnightowl
  What are Arts & Science Electives EHC2110 4 992 11-10-2023, 12:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Library Science - A&S or AP? topdog98 1 649 10-11-2022, 12:12 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  General Management & Humanities option for EC Ins0mnia 2 679 08-05-2022, 12:09 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BS in Science CrayCat 12 2,330 06-05-2022, 12:47 PM
Last Post: debrag
Question Arts & Science vs Arts & Science & Applied Professional at Excelsior alsimko 11 3,175 08-04-2021, 05:48 PM
Last Post: nosey561