Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
looking into a second degree
I'm a homeschooling mom with a Bachelors of Business Administration from 20 years ago.  It has been useful, I work as an accountant from home.  I always wanted a math or science (not biology) degree, but I thought business would be practical.  Reading this forum has been a great help, my husband is starting a Masters Degree at WGU and my kids have taken Cleps.  

I'm looking for the least expensive, easiest to get from home math or science degree.  I have math through Calculus II from many years ago, and have been working through Aleks to keep refresh my memory and keep ahead of my kids.  I also have Chemistry I, Biology I, Physics I, and Physics 2.  Someday I may want to teach, but don't want to get certified now.  I basically need to do everything from home.

I've been reading posts and school web sites, but I thought some of you might have good degree ideas for me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pianostrings's post:
  • Life Long Learning
Most schools are going to require a minimum of 24 new credits for a second degree. Most (maybe all) of these will have to be at the upper level....those are tough to find outside the traditional route.

You might see if Charter Oak still accepts the GRE exams and how many of those credits are UL.

What about just jumping to a Master's in science or math?
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
(08-08-2017, 08:01 PM)rebel100 Wrote: What about just jumping to a Master's in science or math?
This - a masters in analytics, business intelligence, etc, might be a great fit with your BSBA/accounting background, and still "math-y", and probably not require many (if any) prereq courses for you.  (A masters in mathematics would require a lot of prereqs, basically the whole area of study for a math bachelors.)

For undergrad math, APU (American Public University) has a rigorous math degree for $270/cr online.  I'm sure there are others.  For science...did you have a flavor you're looking at?  How invested are you in the 2nd degree - are you looking for rigorous, or more checking a box?
http://degreeforum.wikia.com/wiki/TrailR...S_and_Math

This is a good plan for TESU on the math.
Thank you all for the help!

Some answers to questions asked: 

The reasons I haven't been looking at a masters is because for math or science I really don't have the prereqs done, and they tend to cost a lot more.
I'd like the degree so that I can change careers in five years when my kids are older.  I'd like to do something not business related.  I might want to teach since I enjoy teaching math and science in a homeschool environment.  I would consider wgu's Masters in Math Education, but I can't do any student teaching for several years.  I could start teaching with just a bachelors in a teachable subject in my state, and I've really always somewhat regretted not pursuing a science or math degree.

I've been looking at the tesu math degree, also there liberal studies degree has a math and science concentration.  Any issues with getting either of these as a second degree?  APU looks interesting, but I'll have to do the numbers, it's probably out of my budget.

Budget is an issue.  I need to prioritize spending on my kids education and would like to keep anything I do under 5k total.

You're giving me lots to think about, I really appreciate any ideas.
I think that everyone is eyeing that TESU math degree. It is so tantalizing. Hehe.

You could also get the cheapest master's degree possible and then do 18 credits from statistics.org or the American College of Education to pick up adjunct jobs at community colleges. That is theoretically possible.

http://www.ace.edu/academics/graduate-ed...nstruction
https://www.statistics.com/

The data analytics certificate at TESU is 12 credits from statistics.com. That is four classes from statistics.com for about $2400. I wonder if TESU would count them as upper level math credits in an undergrad math degree.
TESU has a BA in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Natural Science. Excelsior has a BS in Natural Science. Both of these will allow for a combination of various science courses, but Excelsior's degree will be a major in natural science unlike TESU's BSLS. COSC has general studies majors with various science concentrations, but their concentrations are more equivalent to majors. Unfortunately for you, it is much easier to find upper level, online biology courses. It's not very easy to find chemistry or physics courses.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(08-08-2017, 11:48 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I think that everyone is eyeing that TESU math degree.  It is so tantalizing.  Hehe.

You could also get the cheapest master's degree possible and then do 18 credits from statistics.org or the American College of Education to pick up adjunct jobs at community colleges.  That is theoretically possible.

The data analytics certificate at TESU is 12 credits from statistics.com.  That is four classes from statistics.com for about $2400.  I wonder if TESU would count them as upper level math credits in an undergrad math degree.

You could get the TESU grad cert for less - I just tossed the 4 classes in the cart to see...with TESU affiliation and a multi-registration discount (both applied!), the total today is $1,846.  The catch with the grad cert is that one of the classes only runs once a year, in June.  You can register now (to take advantage of the combined discounts), but you'll be twiddling thumbs waiting.  On the plus side, each class is only 4 (very busy) weeks long.  The classes map into TESU under the DSA-xxx prefix, so it's unlikely that they'd count for math credits.

TESU's "cheap" math option is OK if you're just going to teach K-12 or community college.  (If you're going further with it, like a math masters, you'll want to choose more carefully - the cheap option is not the best option in this case.)  TESU's will be pretty cheap (seriously, that EdX series of differential equations, which TESU gives as NINE upper level math credits for $150...insane).  There are options for physics, but none so straightforward (multiple providers, a mishmash of areas within physics).  There are chemistry options online for some courses (Ochem, Pchem, Ichem, Envchem).  Check out Oregon State for their several online chemistry undergrad classes.   I'm not familiar with biology options, but Sanantone is, if you want suggestions there.
SolarKat can you explain this further? I don't keep up with TESU pricing and would like to know how you get 12 Grad level credits at $1846....

"You could get the TESU grad cert for less - I just tossed the 4 classes in the cart to see...with TESU affiliation and a multi-registration discount (both applied!), the total today is $1,846. The catch with the grad cert is that one of the classes only runs once a year, in June. You can register now (to take advantage of the combined discounts), but you'll be twiddling thumbs waiting. On the plus side, each class is only 4 (very busy) weeks long. The classes map into TESU under the DSA-xxx prefix, so it's unlikely that they'd count for math credits."
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
(08-09-2017, 03:44 AM)sanantone Wrote: TESU has a BA in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Natural Science. Excelsior has a BS in Natural Science. Both of these will allow for a combination of various science courses, but Excelsior's degree will be a major in natural science unlike TESU's BSLS. COSC has general studies majors with various science concentrations, but their concentrations are more equivalent to majors. Unfortunately for you, it is much easier to find upper level, online biology courses. It's not very easy to find chemistry or physics courses.

I really like the look of the BS in Natural Science, I hadn't found it.  I'll have to look into it further, it looks like the major courses need to be within the past ten years, an issue for me.  I don't mind retaking some as long a lot of my general ed courses still count.  Thanks.

(08-08-2017, 11:48 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I think that everyone is eyeing that TESU math degree.  It is so tantalizing.  Hehe.

You could also get the cheapest master's degree possible and then do 18 credits from statistics.org or the American College of Education to pick up adjunct jobs at community colleges.  That is theoretically possible.

The data analytics certificate at TESU is 12 credits from statistics.com.  That is four classes from statistics.com for about $2400.  I wonder if TESU would count them as upper level math credits in an undergrad math degree.

This certificate might be an interesting intermediate step, It would look good with what I'm doing now, thanks I will look into it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,226 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,872 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,360 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,682 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,896 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,784 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,030 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,971 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,337 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,695 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero