Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
math.. a course less traveled
Oh wise and kind people's of instantcert. Please give me some sage advise on how best to meet 9 hours of electives in math and science. I dislike both areas. I have not been in college for 36 years. I have not gone beyond geometry in math and physical science in science. these are in fact the last two areas for me to test out of , but I could easily qualify as mildly deficent in these areas. I cannot avoid them any longer and they are a true..true.. true stumbling block on my road to graduation.. I sincerely need and am asking for any "resourceful" ideas you can offer. My college, Thomas Edison will not accept Dantes business math and God knows Iam now thoroughly frustrated, concerned , and Praying alot!! Ideas??????
The only course I've ever flunked, um, *ever* was natural sciences at a private college that is admittedly a lot harder than the average... And I've never taken another science class anywhere (even high school). That said, I passed the Natural Sciences CLEP last week fairly easily (64) using little more than the biology section here, the science questions in the GED section, and the free Peterson book posted here. It seemed very hard, but hey, 64 is a good margin for TESC (my college also).

I'm taking College Mathematics today, which if I pass will mean that I've got all the credits I need for my "general" credits. I'll let you know how it goes.
sirjake Wrote:The only course I've ever flunked, um, *ever* was natural sciences at a private college that is admittedly a lot harder than the average... And I've never taken another science class anywhere (even high school). That said, I passed the Natural Sciences CLEP last week fairly easily (64) using little more than the biology section here, the science questions in the GED section, and the free Peterson book posted here. It seemed very hard, but hey, 64 is a good margin for TESC (my college also).

I'm taking College Mathematics today, which if I pass will mean that I've got all the credits I need for my "general" credits. I'll let you know how it goes.
I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW ENVIOUS IAM OF YOUR PASSING THE NATURAL SCIENCE COURSE!!!! CONGRATS AND GOOD LUCK ON THE MATH.
Did you say you've tried going through our College Mathematics materials? If so, was it completely over your head, or are there only certain topics that you struggle with?

If it's the latter, then you may want to consider hiring a tutor for a few hours.

I don't think you're going to find an easier test to test out of the math requirement--like I've said before, College Mathematics is barely 9th and 10th grade high school level math, and it's not going to get any lower than that at the college level...

Also, the good thing about math is that there are so many books out there to help you with it. For instance, if you're having trouble with probability, you can easily walk down to your bookstore and pick up middle school and high school workbooks on probability which will really try to explain things in simple terms.

If you tried going through our College Math materials and found it absolutely hopeless, then it may actually be more time efficient to take an online course for math credit instead of trying to study for a test.
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
sgloer Wrote:Did you say you've tried going through our College Mathematics materials? If so, was it completely over your head, or are there only certain topics that you struggle with?

If it's the latter, then you may want to consider hiring a tutor for a few hours.

I don't think you're going to find an easier test to test out of the math requirement--like I've said before, College Mathematics is barely 9th and 10th grade high school level math, and it's not going to get any lower than that at the college level...

Also, the good thing about math is that there are so many books out there to help you with it. For instance, if you're having trouble with probability, you can easily walk down to your bookstore and pick up middle school and high school workbooks on probability which will really try to explain things in simple terms.

If you tried going through our College Math materials and found it absolutely hopeless, then it may actually be more time efficient to take an online course for math credit instead of trying to study for a test.
I know you are repeating yourself from before and I thank you for your patience. It may have to come down to a tutor as in looking at some of the materials I find myself at a loss to comprehend the subject matter. It's not that Iam stupid, my grades and career results tell me that...but, I think it's a matter of being away from the practical application and concepts that leave me confounded.
Anyway, it's just a hurdle that I have to "crawl" over..can't jump through this one..and press on . Thanks for your input and I'll find a way; somehow ..God willing .
Hey Ron, I understand your predicament. Math is one of those subjects that if you haven't learned it well before, it's hard to "cram", because there's a lot of foundational knowledge and concepts it builds on.

The good news is, with math, you're not going to be surprised by a question asking for some obscure trivia. You know exactly what kind of math problems are going to be on the test; you just need to go through a few hundred questions just like it until you get it.

Besides, it's not like you need to master the subject--you only need to pass.

Good luck!
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
http://www.learner.org/resources/browse....ield2.y=15

http://www.learner.org

Look at this site for free videos to watch in mathematics. The videos are free and you watch them online. Look around at this site because there are a lot of varieties of math at different levels. Refresh yourself for a month or so watching videos and get the brain going again. Then look at instantcert again in a new light. You can do it!

sammy
Thanks for the advise. I will check out the site and hopefully get on with it with some measure of confidence. Thanks again!!Rolleyes
I scored 61 on college mathematics today. My main study material was a book called "Cracking the CLEP" because it seemed to match my understanding of the subject the best. I also used Instacert's math, but I didn't find it all that helpful... It seemed like it would jump into subjects in ways that I wasn't familiar with or not explain the problem the most logical way. Anyway, it was helpful.

The test was really easy at the outset. I'm fairly sure that I probably got the first 15 questions right. But it was very hard (for me) questions 40-58 or so. Over all, it was easier than I was expecting. I was hoping for anything 50 or better. 61 works.
sirjake Wrote:I scored 61 on college mathematics today. My main study material was a book called "Cracking the CLEP" because it seemed to match my understanding of the subject the best. I also used Instacert's math, but I didn't find it all that helpful... It seemed like it would jump into subjects in ways that I wasn't familiar with or not explain the problem the most logical way. Anyway, it was helpful.

The test was really easy at the outset. I'm fairly sure that I probably got the first 15 questions right. But it was very hard (for me) questions 40-58 or so. Over all, it was easier than I was expecting. I was hoping for anything 50 or better. 61 works.

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Blue"]Congrats SirJake!! I will be taking this in May and found two of your comments interesting.

I was just wondering about "because it seemed to match my understanding of the subject the best" as my own "understanding" is quite limited having not taken any math in nearly 30 years and I'm not looking forward to this one.

The other thing was that you didn't find InstantCert helpful which for me is not a good sign as I count on InstantCert HEAVILLY all I can. Congrats again!![/COLOR][/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 356 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  CSM Math - what's it like? CircleT7 25 2,144 11-14-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  online RA undergrad discrete math course nomaduser 12 975 09-08-2023, 12:56 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  CSM course as a math req natshar 13 1,079 07-20-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Need Statsitics, but hate all the Math? The Statisistics TECEP may be your answer. Prloko 9 4,175 05-23-2023, 02:39 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  RA math option? Insert Name 7 934 02-20-2023, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  Is It Worth the Money to Get a College Degree? Lets Do the Math and Find Out! LevelUP 20 2,021 02-08-2023, 07:27 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Math Help! splirow 16 1,495 09-01-2022, 02:39 PM
Last Post: splirow
  1 credit math or science ? uncapentin 3 605 06-02-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Easiest math general education options? Math avoidant 5 2,062 05-07-2022, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Math avoidant