Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new to here and looking for some advice
hello everyone, im a active duty soldier station at fort lewis, wa. i need to take either CLEP or DSST as the placement test. i have to take both english and math tests. so between CLEP and DSST which one is easier? for the math part, i know CLEP offers college algebra and college math. which one should i take? also any suggestions on english part?

thank you very much
What are you trying to do with it? Where do you hope to apply it? Not sure what you mean by "placement test". CLEP College Math is often considered "easiest" but that is a relative term and may not apply to the program you hope to study. There are other options as well....again....depends on how you want to use it.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:What are you trying to do with it? Where do you hope to apply it? Not sure what you mean by "placement test". CLEP College Math is often considered "easiest" but that is a relative term and may not apply to the program you hope to study. There are other options as well....again....depends on how you want to use it.
I agree...

In GENERAL I tend to prefer the DSSTs... because there's 4 choices instead of CLEP's 5 for every question. DSST also doesn't have questions that are not graded like CLEPs (CLEP tests have these questions which are don't count towards your score, so even if you get all of those questions right it doesn't affect your score.. and no you don't get to see what question is which). It's unknown if CLEP questions are weighted but DSST's are not. Some people like CLEPs better because they don't cut around the bush as much as DSST does.
HOWEVER! IT REALLY DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU'RE DOING, WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH, AND WHERE YOU'RE TRYING TO DO IT!
rebel100 Wrote:What are you trying to do with it? Where do you hope to apply it? Not sure what you mean by "placement test". CLEP College Math is often considered "easiest" but that is a relative term and may not apply to the program you hope to study. There are other options as well....again....depends on how you want to use it.

hi, thank you for your reply. i need to take 2 more classes (econ and english) to finish my AA degree. econ class requires math competency and english class requires the placement test. since im away from the school can not go take the school placement test, they told me i can take either CLEP or DSST as well.
I would see if micro/macro economics would work, if it will work, just study for and take one of those....no math required. Dsst technical writing is likely the easiest.....though its more likely they will require the clep English comp or similiar. What school are you applying this at?
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
There isn't a local college nearby that will let you take the placement test? Some tests like compass/accuplacer can even be taken at a local library.
AS in EMS August 2010

im studying marketing in coastline community college, i have not decide which school im going to transfer in. the school doesnt accept econ test from CLEP, so i may have to take the acutal class. plus i need math competency in order to graduate anyway. and YES, there is a local college that offer COMPASS test. do you know anything about the COMPASS?
I want to say that compass and accuplacer are the same thing....you need to check. Do a Google search for accuplacer prep. There are many schools that offer it (test prep) for free. My daughter used the prep from a school in Texas. Did CCC say which math they'd accept? Which is easier is relative but college math clep is generally seen as easier than any of the algebra tests.
AS in EMS August 2010

I believe the AA requirements for CCC are here: http://mil.ccc.cccd.edu/combined_chart.pdf (military specific)

Interesting that the math proficiency can be demonstrated with High School Algebra....if you lack this I suspect either the CLEP or DSST will work. I also note that they accept ACE for speech class....I would find out if they accept an ACE credit for the Math.....if they do you could easily satisfy their elementary algebra requirement with the $20 a month self paced ALEKS offering transcribed to ACE. Straighterline would work too. You can also check on the College Math CLEP mentioned earlier.

If the ACE works for subjects other than speach it might apply to your English requirement.....straighterline would be a pretty solid choice here to. The CLEP looks acceptable also.(with essay).

It appears that the econ course is satisfiable via CLEP as a "social science" and in fact several other courses meet that requirement like history and psychology....I would just test out of this one.

Of course all this assumes I have located your colleges requiremts and the program you are in. Being Military you likely have remarkable leeway with ACE...I bet there is a better than even chance your issues can be resolved with ALEKS and Straighterline to ACE plus a Social Science Clep....if so you could be done with all three by the summer.

Good Luck,
Mike
AS in EMS August 2010

Compass/Accuplacer Study Aids:

http://www.clovis.edu/downloads/accuplacer.pdf

Accuplacer Assessment - FRCC (scroll down...good links here)

Red Rocks Community College :: Imagine the Possibilities

Free COMPASS Test Study Guide | Free Practice Questions And Lessons To Help You Prepare For The COMPASS Math Test

COMPASSÂ | Sample Test Questions | ACT

I would only take this as a last resort if CLEP/ACE fails to work...Test too low and they are liable to require you to remediate or something, not a good thing!
AS in EMS August 2010

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASVAB Study Advice? Journeyk9 12 6,153 04-28-2016, 12:57 PM
Last Post: april004
  Advice on degree plan Joditd 1 957 09-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Joditd
  Any Advice On The Cdc creationstory 8 4,291 08-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Last Post: jonathonescalera