Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ASVAB Study Advice?
Hi guys,

I am working on my BS BA. I am working towards becoming an officer, and I need to score an 80 or above on the ASVAB. I like instantcert, and, I was wondering if there happened to be any websites similiar to instantcert for studying for the asvab?

So far, I am using two books, ASVAB Basics, and 30 days to the ASVAB.
My weakness is in math, and I am working on it.

If anyone has any advice for me, on study material that will improve my score, or of any math programs designed specifically for the ASVAB. Please feel free to offer any advice that you may have.

Thank you for your time.
See what you can do with this website:
ASVAB Prep

I'm able to use it because I am prior military, but it makes no sense that you would have to be prior military to use their ASVAB prep test.

What branch are you going into? Are you going for line officer or something specific? In any case, wish you the best!
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]
Journeyk9 Wrote:Hi guys,

I am working on my BS BA. I am working towards becoming an officer, and I need to score an 80 or above on the ASVAB. I like instantcert, and, I was wondering if there happened to be any websites similiar to instantcert for studying for the asvab?

If anyone has any advice for me, on study material that will improve my score, or of any math programs designed specifically for the ASVAB. Please feel free to offer any advice that you may have.

Thank you for your time.

The three below should help.
Military.com
Welcome to LearningExpress Library!
you need a library card for the above one
And your recruiter has a link that he can provide you with a password and username for temp use...
Good luck !
Here is a 4th which i think is the same as the above poster. This site that he recommends is fantastic not just for asvab but many other tests.
ASVAB Prep
[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]"Oh, get a job? Just get a job? Why don't I strap on my job helmet, and squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into job land, where jobs grow on jobbies!" Its always sunny in Philadelphia.

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]tesc credit banked
FEMA IS courses- alot

Aleks completed-many of them

Cleps:Spanish 67

Associates in psychology UOP
TESC BA in psychology[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

attempting currently
Masters in counseling
Journeyk9 Wrote:Hi guys,

Thank you for your time.

As a former Recruiter, I can tell you that you don't need an 80 on the ASVAB to become an officer. I believe the only requirement is that you have a 110 GT score as far as the ASVAB goes. You can score a 50 on the ASVAB and still have a 110 GT Score. You have to concentrate on four sections to bring your GT and ASVAB score higher. Concentrate on the Paragraph Comprehension, Arithmetic Reasoning, Word knowledge, and Math Knowledge. Those four sections are the ones that move the scores you need up. The other sections of the ASVAB are more job specific sections like Mecanical, electrical, etc.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
clep101 Wrote:As a former Recruiter, I can tell you that you don't need an 80 on the ASVAB to become an officer. I believe the only requirement is that you have a 110 GT score as far as the ASVAB goes. You can score a 50 on the ASVAB and still have a 110 GT Score. You have to concentrate on four sections to bring your GT and ASVAB score higher. Concentrate on the Paragraph Comprehension, Arithmetic Reasoning, Word knowledge, and Math Knowledge. Those four sections are the ones that move the scores you need up. The other sections of the ASVAB are more job specific sections like Mecanical, electrical, etc.

To those that have replied, thank you very much for the websites. To address a few of the questions another poster asked. I plan to join the USMC.

An officer recruitor told me that I needed an 80 or above, to go to PLC.

If all I need is a 50 or above, I am pretty sure that will not be too difficult. As I have been studying very hard for this test. I find your information interesting, and from my experience, it seems that recruitors, differ one from another in their information. I do not mean this offensively, as it is not intended to come across as such. I admit I have found it frustrating, the veriation in information that I receive, from one recruitor to another. I could share with you several instances of such. I am just curious why it is.

Thank you for your time.
Journeyk9 Wrote:I am just curious why it is.
I was never a recruiter, but I can attest that different recruiters and offices will tell you vastly different things. This can be due to simple cultural differences between offices (some embellish, mislead, or outright lie more than others), or it could be due to an increased supply of recruits. I know for a fact that all the recruiters have been less accommodating and more demanding of prospects, because they can afford to. The increased cut score might be a part of that.
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]
Journeyk9 Wrote:To those that have replied, thank you very much for the websites. To address a few of the questions another poster asked. I plan to join the USMC.

An officer recruitor told me that I needed an 80 or above, to go to PLC.

If all I need is a 50 or above, I am pretty sure that will not be too difficult. As I have been studying very hard for this test. I find your information interesting, and from my experience, it seems that recruitors, differ one from another in their information. I do not mean this offensively, as it is not intended to come across as such. I admit I have found it frustrating, the veriation in information that I receive, from one recruitor to another. I could share with you several instances of such. I am just curious why it is.

Thank you for your time.

Since you will be joining USMC, that will explain the different requirements and why information differs from one service to another. The overall ASVAB qualification scores (AFQT of 1-99) for all services are the same, but the way they calculate the individual scores are different. USMC might require an 80 AFQT, while the Army doesn't focus on the AFQT, but on the GT (General Technical) score of 110 or above for anyone applying for OCS. And of course a Bachelors Degree. However, a passing AFQT is 31. Scoring above a 50 on the ASVAB regardless of individual scores qualifies enlistees for bigger bonuses, shorter enlistments, etc..
I made it a point to never recruit High School kids, and I never did. Everyone I enlisted were college grads, college dropouts, and people who needed jobs. Also the occasional prior service member from all brances that wasn't making it on the civilian side of the house, or just missed the service.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
Olinelooo Wrote:I need to score an 80 or above on the ASVAB. I like instantcert, and, I was wondering if there happened to be any websites similiar to instantcert for studying for the asvab?????

Peterson's has a website that has many practice exams, the ASVAB being one of them. I have access to it for free through my local library system (San Diego County). Check your library system to see if it's available there. Also, ask a friend in the military, they have access to it as well through a DOD website. They may be able to help you get access.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I took it cold a few years back and scored a 68. With a little bit of studying I am sure I would have done much better:p

My only advice is don't underestimate your ability and don't stress.!
Good luck!

* Note: I am not in the military. However, I have 1 brother who is a Captain in the Army, 1 brother who is a Navy Vet and one brother who is a retired Marine ...so, we are a military familyWink
Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies
Open College @ Kaplan University
Completed
April 2016

Master of Business Administration
Kaplan University now Purdue University
In Progress
32 out of 60 credits earned
jeeze, reviving a 7-year-old thread. Better off starting your own. There are several sections, any one in particular you need an 80 in? General? electrical? mechanical? I would just rent or buy some study books, lots of material that cover the sections out there.
CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology- COMPLETE
TESC AS - General Managment-COMPLETE
TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems-COMPLETE
WGU MBA IT -COMPLETE

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Legion research study Alpha 3 1,502 10-28-2022, 07:42 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ASVAB Study Guides namwen 11 3,804 02-01-2019, 03:10 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  AFOQT/ASTB audio book study material. morig 3 3,179 08-22-2018, 04:01 PM
Last Post: kodiak61
  Airforce ccaf - study.com retire2018 12 9,139 02-18-2018, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Sagan
  Study resources for clep preppyboy 4 2,761 04-28-2017, 12:21 PM
Last Post: zapproximator
  FEMA Independent Study online classes for military service with GED kbk1061 18 3,257 09-23-2013, 03:31 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Advice on degree plan Joditd 1 932 09-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Joditd
  Any Advice On The Cdc creationstory 8 4,204 08-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Last Post: jonathonescalera
  Free practice test and study guides on ako tchaney88 0 1,242 06-23-2012, 01:09 AM
Last Post: tchaney88
  new to here and looking for some advice allen_phoenix 12 2,681 03-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Last Post: allen_phoenix