Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
newbie question on fast path bsba, I think
Yes, my answer to your question is TESU would be my choice if you're wanting to get a slightly more recognized BSBA - the landscape changes when there are variables in play and that's why I was asking more questions... Back in the days when I wanted a degree from the Big 3, Excelsior was top choice for a dozen years (1999 to 2011), in 2012 my choice changed to COSC for cost alone, and in 2016, it changed again to TESU.

1) TESU is a state university vs COSC a state college and Excelsior, a private non-profit.
2) TESU is ACBSP, Excelsior has IACBE programmatic/secondary accreditation, COSC is just plain jane RA.
3) TESU requires 15 UL credits for the entire degree, COSC/Excelsior requires 30 UL
4) TESU has an extra fee, the residency waiver fee of $2800 just to transfer 114 credits into their college
You can skip that fee if you take 16 credits at the school. Excelsior/COSC doesn't have this fee.

I chose TESU in the end because of university status, larger network of alumni than COSC, ACBSP business programmatic/secondary accreditation. For me, this is slightly better ROI for the extra amount I spend as some companies would like either an ACBSP or AACSB business degree, I have not read anyone asking for ICABE ever.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-27-2020, 02:27 PM)dfrecore, so is the General Management a smattering of different areas that are equally time consuming as Marketing or Entrepreneurship?  I would probably prefer marketing or entrepreneurship if they were about the same in terms of time.  Marketing is actually the area I am in.The 7k is higher than i thought but not so bad since its done over time .    Does TESU have a better or higher standing with corporate employers than COSC?  Curious everyone\s experience has been on this issue.  I just now went to COSC\s website and they seem to be focused only on online.... wondering if anyone has experienced discrimination by an HR department quickly making assumptions that the school is somehow lesser than a brick and morter that offers both traditional campus and online Wrote: If you're starting from scratch, the BSBA at TESU is about $7k.

None of the concentrations are more/less "easy."  General management was harder for me, because it's not about "management" but really a smattering of different areas, most of which I had no interest in.  I didn't care about Finance, didn't want to take more accounting courses, and was not excited about marketing, and you need to cover 3 out of the 4 areas.  Instead, I went with HR, which I thought was "easy" in that I already had some UL HR courses.  I would always suggest a concentration if you have the opportunity and like that area.

The ones that can be completed completely via alternative credit:
Accounting
CIS
Entrepreneurship
HR/OM
Marketing

-----------------------

If the Harvard courses are worth college credit, then you can certainly use them towards a BSBA/MAR degree.  I'm not sure if there's a max, but I know they will take Grad credits towards a BA.

-----------------------

The Project Management cert won't work - but it will at COSC.  You can get a BSBA/PM degree there that might be worth doing.  The PMP counts as 9cr of UL coursework there, and fulfills the entire concentration I think.  So it's worth looking at.  And it's $2k less at COSC than TESU, and I think it's just as easy to get a degree there as TESU.
TESU and COSC have the same "reputation" - meaning neither have one. So you have to choose based on other factors.

TESU has an AOS (area of study) that's 6 courses, 4 of which have to be UL. They have the ones I listed.
COSC has a concentration that consists of 3 UL courses, and then 3 business elective courses. They don't have marketing, but do have PM which will be fulfilled by your PM cert if you pass.

TESU requires just 15cr of UL in a BSBA - the capstone + the 4 UL AOS courses.
COSC requires 30cr of UL in any degree - the capstone + 27cr, and a certain number have to be in the major.

TESU is ACBSP-accredited, which may or may not matter to you (rarely matters, but it might)
COSC is not ACBSP-accredited

TESU is $5400 for app fee, cornerstone, capstone, residency waiver and grad fee.
COSC is $2800 for app fee, student services fee, technology fee, cornerstone, capstone, and grad fee (if you finish in 1 term). A $2600 savings. If it takes 2 terms, it's $3200, a $2200 savings.

It's really up to you as to which you choose. They're the same speed I think, to get a BSBA at either school, and the different AOS/concentrations should be the same as well.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
OP - I got your PM, COSC will be cheaper but I think the ROI on an ACBSP degree at TESU will be better in the long run. That minor cost now will be nothing in a few years, it would most likely be made up when you get a pay raise or get a better paying job. Basically, COSC is the best option if you don't have the cash now, but work on courses that you know will transfer to both.

I would recommend the TESU AOS Marketing since that is your first choice over any of the other ones, or to continue with the General Management track. The only difference between the GM track is that instead of 18 credits in one field of study (AOS), you take courses in 3 of 4 fields - Accounting, Finance, Management, Marketing, you still need 18 credits but can dabble into any 3 of those 4.

TESUinquiry, did you get any feedback in regards to your Harvard courses for refunds? If you get your refund, great, if not possible and you've paid for the courses, you can transfer them back into your BSBA Marketing track as the required 4 Upper Level courses. Just spend your time on the courses to make sure you have a good GPA at Harvard as I don't know if those are pass/fail courses.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-28-2020, 07:36 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: OP - I got your PM, COSC will be cheaper but I think the ROI on an ACBSP degree at TESU will be better in the long run.  That minor cost now will be nothing in a few years, it would most likely be made up when you get a pay raise or get a better paying job.  Basically, COSC is the best option if you don't have the cash now, but work on courses that you know will transfer to both.

I would recommend the TESU AOS Marketing since that is your first choice over any of the other ones, or to continue with the General Management track.  The only difference between the GM track is that instead of 18 credits in one field of study (AOS), you take courses in 3 of 4 fields - Accounting, Finance, Management, Marketing, you still need 18 credits but can dabble into any 3 of those 4.  

TESUinquiry, did you get any feedback in regards to your Harvard courses for refunds?  If you get your refund, great, if not possible and you've paid for the courses, you can transfer them back into your BSBA Marketing track as the required 4 Upper Level courses.  Just spend your time on the courses to make sure you have a good GPA at Harvard as I don't know if those are pass/fail courses.
I only registered for one of the four and I had enough time ahead to cancel it with full refund!!!
(01-28-2020, 10:19 PM)texuinquiry Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 07:36 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: OP - I got your PM, COSC will be cheaper but I think the ROI on an ACBSP degree at TESU will be better in the long run.  That minor cost now will be nothing in a few years, it would most likely be made up when you get a pay raise or get a better paying job.  Basically, COSC is the best option if you don't have the cash now, but work on courses that you know will transfer to both.

I would recommend the TESU AOS Marketing since that is your first choice over any of the other ones, or to continue with the General Management track.  The only difference between the GM track is that instead of 18 credits in one field of study (AOS), you take courses in 3 of 4 fields - Accounting, Finance, Management, Marketing, you still need 18 credits but can dabble into any 3 of those 4.  

TESUinquiry, did you get any feedback in regards to your Harvard courses for refunds?  If you get your refund, great, if not possible and you've paid for the courses, you can transfer them back into your BSBA Marketing track as the required 4 Upper Level courses.  Just spend your time on the courses to make sure you have a good GPA at Harvard as I don't know if those are pass/fail courses.
I only registered for one of the four and I had enough time ahead to cancel it with full refund!!!

If you go ahead with the TESU BSBA program, I would recommend a dual AOS because 9 credits can overlap (excluding general management AOS). Meaning, you can add another AOS for three additional courses (9 credits). Stand out with employers by having a BSBA degree with Two areas of study.
(01-28-2020, 10:19 PM)texuinquiry    ...   I am not sure what an ACBSP degree is ? Wrote:

(01-29-2020, 01:44 AM)texuinquiry Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 10:19 PM)texuinquiry    ...   I am not sure what an ACBSP degree is ? Wrote:

https://www.acbsp.org/

https://www.business-management-degree.n...bsp-iacbe/
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(01-29-2020, 01:17 AM)HogwartsSchool Wrote: If you go ahead with the TESU BSBA program, I would recommend a dual AOS because 9 credits can overlap (excluding general management AOS). Meaning, you can add another AOS for three additional courses (9 credits). Stand out with employers by having a BSBA degree with Two areas of study.

Most of the AOS's don't have any, or very few, duplicate courses that will work.  You're more likely to need 18 or 15 additional credits.

I say get what you need and FINISH.  Adding another AOS may very well slow you down a lot.  And, I don't think employers will care much about this.  It's not worth slowing your graduation down - so only do this if you can do those extra courses quickly and cheaply.

I don't think there's much of an ROI on an ACBSP degree, to be honest.  I've worked in HR, we never cared (private sector).  IF we wanted a degree, it was "a" degree, with no mention of ACBSP.  I've looked for jobs for years, and I've NEVER seen a request for ACBSP (or AACSB).  Now, much of that is based on what types of jobs I'm looking at - private sector - but I still think this is something that won't be an issue for the vast majority of people.

If you're going into a field where ACBSP is important, then it's probably also going to be important to go to a more well-known school.  And then you probably want AACSB.

My advice - get whichever degree you want.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Clepper43

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quick question about MAN-3760 & MAN-3730 jg_nuy 7 480 03-20-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Age waiver question - 18 year old jg_nuy 26 2,050 03-01-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSBA BS... Dual degree nonsense. CanICode 44 4,758 02-06-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  TESU BA.CS , how to graduate fast ? eap35 13 1,267 01-19-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU BSBA - General Management Cire 5 776 12-01-2023, 01:16 PM
Last Post: etirflita
  TESU multiple degrees / residency question Sean1234 12 1,131 11-03-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  BSBA/BS-CIS? Jwheels27 14 1,300 10-23-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Is CIS still a BSBA or it´s now a different degree? MrPanda 28 2,363 10-21-2023, 03:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Question about passing grades Randyb100 9 802 10-16-2023, 12:58 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  BSBA Accounting 2nd Degree at TESU. mog538 10 1,146 10-06-2023, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Pats20