Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
off topic- computer suggestion
I know many of you here have solid computer knowledge, so I'm looking for advice. My son games online and last night he ticked someone off who in turn did a ddos on our internet for about a half hour- needless to say, mom (me) was not happy. Any advice about how to avoid something like this in the future?
Jennifer
10-year member

MS Nutrition, 2014 Canisius College, NY
Premed/Prenursing Sciences, 2011 Ocean County College, NJ
BA Social Science, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AA General Studies, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AOS Culinary Arts,1990 Culinary Institute of America, NY

Homeschooling for College Credit (blog)
Homeschooling for College Credit (book)
(08-10-2018, 11:13 AM)cookderosa Wrote:  Any advice about how to avoid something like this in the future?

Could he avoid playing games hosted on non-commercial servers? They got your IP address somehow,and my guess is that is probably where they got it. Your son could use a VPN to hide your IP address but that would cost you a few bucks per month and probably cause some latency in his gaming. If you turn your computer and router off for 10 to 20 minutes during a ddos then you should automatically get a new IP address from your ISP. The window of time varies depending on the ISP. I am assuming you did that since you are able to post here now.
TESU Associate in Arts (AA) {14 of 60 Credits Completed}
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TEEX Cybersecurity (101, 201 & 301) (6 Credits)
ALEKS College Algebra (3 Credits)
NFA Self-Study Course for Community Safety Educators (1 Credit)
The Institutes: Insurance Ethics 312 (2 Credits)   
SOPHIA Developing Effective Teams (1 Credit) The Essentials of Managing Conflict (1 Credit) 
up next: Sophia English Composition 1 
[-] The following 1 user Likes AwardTour's post:
  • cookderosa
Make sure your router's firmware is up to date, and if it's an old one, think about getting something modern. Also, close any open ports you might have on the router. Unfortunately, it's pretty hard to defend against this kind of thing, especially with consumer grade HW. You might also report everything you know about the attack to your ISP.

That all said, I have to agree with AwardTour, avoid dodgy game servers with people who would do stuff like this.
TESU BA in Comp Sci completed. 51 units completed in 20 months.
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Intro to Anthro, Pers Fin, Intro Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • cookderosa
(08-10-2018, 12:29 PM)davewill Wrote: Make sure your router's firmware is up to date, and if it's an old one, think about getting something modern. Also, close any open ports you might have on the router. Unfortunately, it's pretty hard to defend against this kind of thing, especially with consumer grade HW. You might also report everything you know about the attack to your ISP.

That all said, I have to agree with AwardTour, avoid dodgy game servers with people who would do stuff like this.

Yeah, I am not saying that private servers are full of bad people but it exposes your IP address. I don't think public wifi is a bad thing either but you won't see me accessing my back account from it.
TESU Associate in Arts (AA) {14 of 60 Credits Completed}
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TEEX Cybersecurity (101, 201 & 301) (6 Credits)
ALEKS College Algebra (3 Credits)
NFA Self-Study Course for Community Safety Educators (1 Credit)
The Institutes: Insurance Ethics 312 (2 Credits)   
SOPHIA Developing Effective Teams (1 Credit) The Essentials of Managing Conflict (1 Credit) 
up next: Sophia English Composition 1 
[-] The following 1 user Likes AwardTour's post:
  • cookderosa
Agreed with above. Avoid private servers if it's a huge concern, but that may be punishing him for the actions of others... Otherwise, It's usually a pretty easy to get a new IP address from your ISP (sometimes as easy as powering off the modem for a short time).
Currently studying for: University of the Cumberlands - PHD Leadership (2020), Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 

Done!
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
[-] The following 1 user Likes mednat's post:
  • cookderosa
Maybe this may help if something like that happens again: Method 1
Link: https://www.wikihow.com/Acquire-a-New-IP-Address
Up Next: NationsU MTS, WGU for MSML & MBA ITM (January 2019)
Done: TESU ASNSM Biology, ASBA/BSBA (ACBSP Accredited in 2017)

2018 BALS and BSBA Spreadsheet using mainly SL/Study.com (post# 27,28)
The Basic Approach | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki

Review Beginners Guide sticky for info on TESU BALS/BSBA in 4 months (post #16)
Note: Read Wiki guide links for TESU equivalency - CLEP/DSST/SL/Study.com, etc
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • cookderosa
Thanks everyone, I had no idea that there was such a thing as a new IP address - but I don't even know what a server is.... so there's that.
Also, the idea of him NOT playing this game went over like a lead balloon.
Jennifer
10-year member

MS Nutrition, 2014 Canisius College, NY
Premed/Prenursing Sciences, 2011 Ocean County College, NJ
BA Social Science, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AA General Studies, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AOS Culinary Arts,1990 Culinary Institute of America, NY

Homeschooling for College Credit (blog)
Homeschooling for College Credit (book)
Maybe Wheaton's Law is in order? :-P
Working Towards B.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance from WGU (starting 10/1/2018)
Completed:
WV BOG AAS (PCTC) Conferred 5/2018
B&M -- Hacking & Incident Response, American History I&II, Int. Dev. Algebra
TEEX, NFA, Sophia, CPCU Ethics -- 12Cr, JST -- ~30 Cr, Aleks College Algebra, PreCalc -- 6Cr
CLEP -- College Comp 56, InfoSys 77, Psych 56, A&I Lit 59, MacroEcon 53, Intro Sociology 59, AmGovt 61, PrncMgmt 59
DSST -- Astronomy 431, Tech Writing 440, MIS 448
Study.com -- Personal Finance, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Project Mgmt, Stats
ISACA -- CISA || MTA -- HTML5, Networking, Database Fundamentals || CCSK
Working On:  WGU Enrollment

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • jsd
(08-10-2018, 10:31 PM)quigongene Wrote: Maybe Wheaton's Law is in order?  :-P

Big Grin
BS IT Security, Western Governors University, 2018
BA Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, 2016
AA Sociology, Chaffey College, 2015
IT Industry Certs: CCNA Security, CCNA, CCENT, Linux+,
   LPIC-1, Security+, Network+, Project+, A+, & CIW SDA.
(08-10-2018, 09:45 PM)cookderosa Wrote: ...
Also, the idea of him NOT playing this game went over like a lead balloon.

So? Who pays the internet bill and who suffers when this happens again? And it will happen again if he continues to hang out there.
TESU BA in Comp Sci completed. 51 units completed in 20 months.
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Intro to Anthro, Pers Fin, Intro Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This site now looks like an old school BBS on my computer. ELSADDIQ 6 1,035 08-03-2017, 08:10 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  New Subcategory Suggestion yb1 6 706 07-09-2017, 11:10 PM
Last Post: Thorne
  Desktop died, not sure what to do about computer Brian12 20 892 04-01-2017, 08:50 PM
Last Post: TrailRunr
  Can someone PLEASE help me with this computer specs issue?! soliloquy 10 322 01-02-2016, 04:16 PM
Last Post: homebrilliance
  Please help with research topic! soliloquy 5 225 06-19-2015, 07:25 PM
Last Post: soliloquy
  computer use at work, and how many hours do people really work? SuzanneD 17 558 06-12-2015, 09:57 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  My thesis topic was accepted! cookderosa 18 450 04-26-2014, 07:44 PM
Last Post: NAP
  What kind of computer do you recommend? hicandle 42 963 01-28-2014, 05:52 PM
Last Post: hicandle
  Idea for topic -- traditional schools that take CLE CLEP_enthusiast 7 196 09-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Built a Fun Computer! OtherSyde 24 618 04-16-2013, 08:13 AM
Last Post: cookderosa