Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
thinking about changing degree at last second
So, I am thinking about changing my degree because the computer science jobs I was interested in now require a master's or other specialization in many cases. I have had a few different companies where I went through FOUR interviews and ultimately didn't get hired. I am ready to take a path of less resistance at this point.

Anyway, I am thinking about changing to BSBA Accounting at TESU. But I'm concerned about Principles of Finance. I don't think the course has to be 300, but I'm not sure. I plan on fulfilling these courses at Study.com, but I'm curious about other input:

FIN-301 Principles of Finance --> ???
MAN-210 Principles of Management --> Business 101: Principles of Management (Study.com)
MAN-372 International Management OR BUS-311 Business in Society --> Business 308: Globalization & International Management (Study.com)
MAN-373 Managerial Communications --> Business 324: Managerial Communication

I'm thinking of sitting for the CPA exam in my state and I have had no problem getting interviews and job offers for accounting jobs, despite my degree / certificate(s) not being paid for and official yet.

Thanks in advance!
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
You're a great candidate for the BSBA Accounting & CIS option! eriehiker did just that - and a few certificates to boot as well. He also has a Bachelors and Masters before he began his TESU journey. He added two Associates as well... In addition to this, I would recommend finishing what you started, the BACS, if you only have a few more courses to go... you can then ladder into a Masters of Computer Science using one of the MOOCS, edx, coursera, udacity, futurelearn, upgrad...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • udi
(04-04-2021, 01:40 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You're a great candidate for the BSBA Accounting & CIS option!  eriehiker did just that - and a few certificates to boot as well.  He also has a Bachelors and Masters before he began his TESU journey.  He added two Associates as well... In addition to this, I would recommend finishing what you started, the BACS, if you only have a few more courses to go... you can then ladder into a Masters of Computer Science using one of the MOOCS, edx, coursera, udacity, futurelearn, upgrad...

Oh, I didn't really think about it like that. But, I still need to know what to do about the Finance course regardless?
OnlineDegree

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
I am not sure if you want to stick with Study.com, but I would recommend these instead
FIN-301 Principles of Finance --> Study.com FIN 101 OR FIN 104 either one would work
MAN-210 Principles of Management --> Business 101: Principles of Management (Study.com)
MAN-372 International Management OR BUS-311 Business in Society --> Business 120: International Business
MAN-373 Managerial Communications --> Business 113: Business Communications

I would take it from Davar Academy instead, for $129/2 courses, so 4 courses would be $258 total...
You can see the list and the equivalency here: https://www.davaracademy.com/business.html
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • udi
Sophia has Principles of Finance. It doesn't need to be UL. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan

I agree that if you are close to completing the CS then you should just go ahead and finish that. And also add on the BSBA CIS and BSBA Accounting. Georgia Tech could be a good option for a CS Master's degree, coming in at around $10k.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jch, udi
Principals of Finance on Sophia! So EASY!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dorothy44's post:
  • udi
Thanks, guys!
OnlineDegree

Study

Saylor.org
(04-04-2021, 01:26 PM)udi Wrote: So, I am thinking about changing my degree because the computer science jobs I was interested in now require a master's or other specialization in many cases. I have had a few different companies where I went through FOUR interviews and ultimately didn't get hired. I am ready to take a path of less resistance at this point.

Anyway, I am thinking about changing to BSBA Accounting at TESU. But I'm concerned about Principles of Finance. I don't think the course has to be 300, but I'm not sure. I plan on fulfilling these courses at Study.com, but I'm curious about other input:

FIN-301 Principles of Finance --> ???
MAN-372 International Management OR BUS-311 Business in Society --> Business 308: Globalization & International Management (Study.com)
MAN-373 Managerial Communications --> Business 324: Managerial Communication

I'm thinking of sitting for the CPA exam in my state and I have had no problem getting interviews and job offers for accounting jobs, despite my degree / certificate(s) not being paid for and official yet.

Thanks in advance!

Computer Science is a broad field like the business field.  You can do front-end coding, back-end coding, data analysis, cybersecurity, IT, AI.  You need to know around 1/2 what they ask for on the job description before applying for the jobs.  A lot of learning you are doing on your own after college. 

You need to get over the imposter syndrome that comes with this field.  Find out what you like doing.  It's not about knowing everything, but being able to find answers quickly and problem solve.

If you did data structures and computer architecture, then you already finished the hardest part of the Computer Science degree.

TESU has the new 90 credit limit for alternative credit so you have to be careful how you plan your degree now.  The only way to do both BSBA and BA CS together is by doing BSBA CIS unless you have a surplus of RA credits. 

I did Principles of Finance at Sophia in a day.  There were only about 10 math formulas you needed to know.  Everything was pretty basic stuff.  Not sure if Sophia communications works for business communications may need to ask TESU advising or someone on the forum.

For Study.com I did Business 120: International Business which was pretty straightforward.

Whatever you decide to do, just put your head down and get it done and pick the path of least resistance.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • udi
(04-04-2021, 04:56 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Computer Science is a broad field like the business field.  You can do front-end coding, back-end coding, data analysis, cybersecurity, IT, AI.  You need to know around 1/2 what they ask for on the job description before applying for the jobs.  A lot of learning you are doing on your own after college. 

You need to get over the imposter syndrome that comes with this field.  Find out what you like doing.  It's not about knowing everything, but being able to find answers quickly and problem solve.

If you did data structures and computer architecture, then you already finished the hardest part of the Computer Science degree.

TESU has the new 90 credit limit for alternative credit so you have to be careful how you plan your degree now.  The only way to do both BSBA and BA CS together is by doing BSBA CIS unless you have a surplus of RA credits. 

I did Principles of Finance at Sophia in a day.  There were only about 10 math formulas you needed to know.  Everything was pretty basic stuff.  Not sure if Sophia communications works for business communications may need to ask TESU advising or someone on the forum.

For Study.com I did Business 120: International Business which was pretty straightforward.

Whatever you decide to do, just put your head down and get it done and pick the path of least resistance.

Okay, I will ask about Business 120.

I have been out of work for over a year. I get interviews, but I haven't been offered a position yet. I used to work in software development years ago, go laid off, and never really got back into it full time. I have a few friends in similar positions where they've been out of work for one to two years, but the shutdown is probably distorting things. I may just need to move.

So, I'm thinking I have to pivot a bit.
OnlineDegree

Study

Saylor.org
(04-04-2021, 05:31 PM)udi Wrote:
(04-04-2021, 04:56 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Not sure if Sophia communications works for business communications may need to ask TESU advising or someone on the forum.

Okay, I will ask about Business 120.

Sophia's course does not work for TESU's Business Comm requirement.

If you end up doing Study.com for everything, FIN 104: Financial Management is now preferred at TESU (I don't think they'll take FI 101 any more for that).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • udi

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 293 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 248 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 239 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 606 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 571 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  BSBA BS... Dual degree nonsense. CanICode 44 4,758 02-06-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 499 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
Information Advice on BS CIS Degree plan SaberTronnN 17 1,265 01-12-2024, 11:12 PM
  Degree plans - Second bachelor's degree, ASNSM, and certificates carrythenothing 6 1,534 01-06-2024, 04:49 PM
  Almost finished with dual CIS/CS degree - HELP! ACI 22 2,019 01-04-2024, 03:58 AM
Last Post: rachel83az