Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
transcripts being held hostage
I met a middle aged woman who wants to get a degree. She attended an expensive, private university in the past. Because she owes them a lot of money that she does not and will not realistically have, they will not release her transcript. Her plan is to take a lot of CLEP and DSST and apply to the Big Three. That's without mentioning the private university at all. She says it is worth the risk. Is there any way for her to find out what the National Student Clearinghouse has on file?

I pointed out the risks, but she feels like she has no choice. If she gets found out, she really won't be really any worse off.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
As far as TESU goes, I don't believe they require every transcript be sent.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
The whole transcript system could really use improvement Sad Yeah, she should find a school that doesn't require all.

I'm in the same boat as this "middle aged" woman...not sure if you consider me middle aged (38, lol). I owe my private school $18k; they won't budge, no payment plan. Do you know how much she owes? I've been listening to a lot of Dave Ramsey recently and now the thought of being debt free doesn't sound so daunting. Here are the scenarios I am considering:

1. Start from scratch - same discipline (from what i've read, the Big 3 only care if you want to get credit for these courses, compared to, for instance, Harvard Extension who explicitly states you cannot owe money to any other university when you apply)

2. Using an unofficial transcript I have, fill in the credits I need to finish my degree (using the tips from this site) and save up 1/3 of what I owe the school - offer them this as a settlement with the contingency they consider my account settled in full and I can get my transcripts. Being that it's been almost 20 years, and they've gotten nothing, they may be ready to negotiate, but I would want to have at least half (as a cushion) to offer them.

3. Start from scratch - completely different discipline - leaning towards this as I was a communications/theatre major. I took a bunch of bullpoo courses and didn't get the best grades. I really desire a fresh education with skills I can use now. I will eventually pay my former school, but it could take more than 3-4 years to get to them.

Final advice - she should consider how many credits she has there, the amount she owes, her current income, the amount of debt she has and how long it would take her to pay it off. It may surprise her that she COULD be debt free in under 2 years (gross assumption); if this is a possibility, taking any remaining courses while she pays off the other school might be an option...this is of course assuming she has some idea of what she took there.

HTH
davewill Wrote:As far as TESU goes, I don't believe they require every transcript be sent.

Yes, they do.

She could be worse off if she takes out student loans or spends money on courses just to be expelled or have her degree revoked. Colorado Tech and Central Texas let me enroll without one of my transcripts. They told me I needed to have it before I graduate.

You can see if her state has an academic fresh start program.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:Yes, they do. ...
I sure couldn't find where they say that, but to be safe she should just ask.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
TenderMoni Wrote:I'm in the same boat as this "middle aged" woman...not sure if you consider me middle aged (38, lol). I owe my private school $18k; they won't budge, no payment plan. Do you know how much she owes? I've been listening to a lot of Dave Ramsey recently and now the thought of being debt free doesn't sound so daunting. Here are the scenarios I am considering:

1. Start from scratch - same discipline (from what i've read, the Big 3 only care if you want to get credit for these courses, compared to, for instance, Harvard Extension who explicitly states you cannot owe money to any other university when you apply)

2. Using an unofficial transcript I have, fill in the credits I need to finish my degree (using the tips from this site) and save up 1/3 of what I owe the school - offer them this as a settlement with the contingency they consider my account settled in full and I can get my transcripts. Being that it's been almost 20 years, and they've gotten nothing, they may be ready to negotiate, but I would want to have at least half (as a cushion) to offer them.

3. Start from scratch - completely different discipline - leaning towards this as I was a communications/theatre major. I took a bunch of bullpoo courses and didn't get the best grades. I really desire a fresh education with skills I can use now. I will eventually pay my former school, but it could take more than 3-4 years to get to them.

Final advice - she should consider how many credits she has there, the amount she owes, her current income, the amount of debt she has and how long it would take her to pay it off. It may surprise her that she COULD be debt free in under 2 years (gross assumption); if this is a possibility, taking any remaining courses while she pays off the other school might be an option...this is of course assuming she has some idea of what she took there.

HTH

What's the name of the private school? Are they Nationally Accredited or Regionally Accredited? Are they in the National Clearinghouse?
If they are none of the above, they may just be state licensed, non accredited schools, their transcripts are not fully recognized...
That means your only option is to start from scratch, but you can get 90 credits really fast (within a few months) it's the final 30 that's slower!
Please provide more info on what you have studied and your major, what do you want to finish with (an Associates? BA/BS/BSBA?)
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
bjcheung77 Wrote:What's the name of the private school? Are they Nationally Accredited or Regionally Accredited? Are they in the National Clearinghouse?
If they are none of the above, they may just be state licensed, non accredited schools, their transcripts are not fully recognized...
That means your only option is to start from scratch, but you can get 90 credits really fast (within a few months) it's the final 30 that's slower!
Please provide more info on what you have studied and your major, what do you want to finish with (an Associates? BA/BS/BSBA?)

Not sure about the OP, but my school is Rider University, which, interestingly enough, is located in NJ, minutes from TESU, where I am considering completing my degree. They are in the National Clearinghouse, they are accredited by Middle States and a few others; transcripts fully recognized. I was there on a full tuition scholarship for Theatre, but major was Mass Communications. What I want to finish with is where I'm stuck. Hindsight being 20/20, I would have pursued a bachelor's in Computer Science, Economics or Marketing...but at my ripe old age (38), I am now questioning my aptitude for the mathematics. The other factor is that I currently work in higher ed and getting a Master's would be free...it's what to get a bachelor's in that I've spent way too much time debating.
sanantone Wrote:Yes, they do.

She could be worse off if she takes out student loans or spends money on courses just to be expelled or have her degree revoked. Colorado Tech and Central Texas let me enroll without one of my transcripts. They told me I needed to have it before I graduate.

You can see if her state has an academic fresh start program.

that's my advice as well- right now she's in debt without a degree but going on with life. She's considering committing fraud, so yeah, things can get worse.
Fresh start programs are usually through community colleges and will wash away your bad grades, not sure if they wash away debt, but it's for sure worth asking.

I'm all about finding loopholes, so if she can find one, go for it!! As for actually violating a policy, honor code, or law- I'm not a fan. In her shoes, I'd look aggressively for a workaround. If I couldn't find one, I would pay the debt or move forward without a degree. There are ZILLIONS of non-credit continuing education, certificate, diploma, professional, and CEU programs that she could do to build her resume ethically.
Years back a link to the clearinghouse was posted and I didn't see my earliest culinary degree on there. It's there now. So, it's also possible that schools that do not participate today will do so in the future.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU-----Transcripts??? midnite123 6 429 12-21-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Most expensive transcripts? clep3705 8 686 09-06-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Getting Transcripts From College Wanting Money (maybe) xXAnonymousXx 12 2,107 12-07-2020, 01:17 PM
Last Post: innen_oda
  PSA: Send transcripts early and check their receipt status promptly Ideas 2 1,046 08-19-2020, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  How many transcripts do you have? eyrobinson 57 9,956 05-30-2020, 05:09 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  ACE is switching how they transfer your transcripts BrighterFuture88 7 2,748 12-23-2019, 11:24 AM
Last Post: jamshid666
  Transcripts and grades study.com kier7141 3 1,178 05-02-2019, 05:48 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Confused about ACE transcripts bethanyneedsajob 5 1,502 03-16-2019, 01:19 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  Free Clep and DSSt tests & transcripts FishNDip 5 2,477 10-25-2018, 08:57 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question about DSST transcripts bigfloppydonkeyears 0 1,312 01-20-2018, 03:31 PM
Last Post: bigfloppydonkeyears