Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
transfering credits to a local university
Hello,

question: I have a plan to take some college courses through straighline courses. I understand after completing these they can be transfered into any college or university part of the ACE network. I called (4) colleges and Universities in my area and part of the network and they told me they dont honor ACE credits. Now, can i transfer these into a straighline partner college that is part of a regional accreditation and then have them transfer these into the local college? is there a better way to do this? I noticed Excelsior is not accredited by the region but only with the higher learning... Can someone help me if I want these credits to be transfered into a local college like west palm State college or florida international University?

thanks
daxurbina Wrote:Hello,

question: I have a plan to take some college courses through straighline courses. I understand after completing these they can be transfered into any college or university part of the ACE network. I called (4) colleges and Universities in my area and part of the network and they told me they dont honor ACE credits. Now, can i transfer these into a straighline partner college that is part of a regional accreditation and then have them transfer these into the local college? is there a better way to do this? I noticed Excelsior is not accredited by the region but only with the higher learning... Can someone help me if I want these credits to be transfered into a local college like west palm State college or florida international University?

thanks

Excelsior is accredited, check again. But, unfortunately what you are considering is credit laundering and is likely to NOT work. Your home college likely will not take credit via third party. Straighterline credits are limited and there are only a handful of schools that accept them. It's better to consider using CLEP. Does your home college accept CLEP or AP?
What Jennifer said, and also check out Florida Gateway College, They are both a Straighterline partner and a State school in Florida. Transfer College Credits To Florida Gateway College - StraighterLine If nothing else you can likely complete an AA there using straighterline then transfer the AA to an upper level Florida school. I doubt FIU or West Palm will take straighterline direct.

Good Luck!
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
The Excelsior transcript will likely indicate those as incoming transfer credits. Just because Excelsior accepts them for their own programs does not mean they absorb and display them as if they were taken at the college. TESC lists term dates next to the courses taken through their college on the transcript. All others are blank, indicating they came from somewhere else. Excelsior's transcripts probably have some similar indication that the credits were transferred in, so schools accepting that transcript would request the original source before accepting them. The school you're attempting to transfer the credits to will probably then ask for the original source transcript, and when they see it is ACE, refuse to accept them if their transfer policies preclude them.

daxurbina Wrote:I noticed Excelsior is not accredited by the region but only with the higher learning... Can someone help me if I want these credits to be transfered into a local college like west palm State college or florida international University? thanks

The first sentence may have been a typo, but Excelsior is regionally-accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. You can take courses with them and transfer them virtually anywhere without much fuss. The Straighterline courses, however, will still be incoming transfer credits and display accordingly on the Excelsior transcript, flagging that for other schools.

cookderosa has the best suggestion if you're looking for a quick course. CLEP, DSST, and AP are much more widely accepted than ACE.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
Daxurbina-

The only people at colleges that truly understand how credits will transfer are working in the transcripts/central records department. The academic advisors and people that answer the phones are pretty clueless.

I took Straighterline's Business Statistics course and through ACE transfered it to St. Petersburg College (Florida). They added it to my transcript as STA 2023. If your school is listed on the ACE website as being in the 'ACE credit network' I think you should be able to transfer a Straighterline course.
CLEP: Principles of Management (70), Info Systems and Computer Applications (61), Principles of Marketing (66), American Government (52), Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (56), Introductory Sociology (69), Introductory Psychology (69), Introduction to Educational Psychology (68), Human Growth and Development (68) DSST: Drug and Alcohol Abuse (60), Here's to Your Health (455), Introduction to World Religions (469), Management Information Systems (415), Ethics in America (443), Criminal Justice (434) ECE: Abnormal Psychology (B), Organizational Behavior (B) STRAIGHTERLINE: Business Statistics, Medical Terminology

BS Nursing, WGU - In progress
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior - Need Capstone, on hold.
AS Nursing, St. Petersburg College - Dec. 2014
AA, Coastline Community College - Aug. 2009
Gaz Wrote:Daxurbina-

The only people at colleges that truly understand how credits will transfer are working in the transcripts/central records department. The academic advisors and people that answer the phones are pretty clueless.

I took Straighterline's Business Statistics course and through ACE transfered it to St. Petersburg College (Florida). They added it to my transcript as STA 2023. If your school is listed on the ACE website as being in the 'ACE credit network' I think you should be able to transfer a Straighterline course.
This is pretty cool.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU transcript audit says 13 required credits through TESU? Rteurowise 8 2,086 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU "Overflow" Credits mysonx3 5 2,221 08-31-2018, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,673 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,814 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Credits Giantzebra 5 1,579 07-23-2018, 12:50 AM
  Second Bachelor BALS with concentration with the 24 new credits rule posabsolute 1 1,358 07-22-2018, 11:30 PM
  EC now accepting FEMA credits Exfactor 6 2,770 06-29-2018, 10:32 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  University of Potomac? anyone take classes there frank.f.franky 3 1,667 05-24-2018, 01:06 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Please Review My Credits & Help Me Choose a Degree Plan warriortaupou 4 1,410 05-17-2018, 11:38 PM
Last Post: warriortaupou
  Upper Level Credits at Excelsior - via ACE? Silly_Me 27 10,595 05-16-2018, 05:10 PM
Last Post: scout2family