Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
when to sign up for TESU
I've seen about 50/50 here with regards to when to sign up. Either just after nearly all credits are had (like 90 or 100 or something), or do it once you sign up for Study.com.

I have 30 credits so far, but am using Study.com so would like to go ahead and sign up in March to lock in to a calendar at TESU if that's the best route! I can't afford any more of their changes.

Should I do it now? or wait til I have more credits but before the end of May? ( or whenever it is that they change their requirements usually)

Happy at least to get a discount on stuff plus waive the cornerstone! :coolgleam:
BALS.SS COMPLETED (122 credits in 6 1/2 months)
CAPSTONE (95%)
CLEP: A & I Lit (63), English Comp Modular (74)
TECEP: Computer Concepts
DSST: English Comp 2 (417)
STRAIGHTERLINE: Medical Terminology, Religions, Western Civ I, Western Civ II, American Govt, Nutrition, Anthropology, Sociology, Environmental Science, Communications
STUDY.COM: Personal Finance, Vietnam War, Social Psychology, Research Methods in Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction, Special Education History & Law, Foundations of Education, Early Childhood Education
SHMOOP: The Bible As Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, U.S. History 1, U.S. History 2, Modern European History, World Geography, Film Studies, Human Sexuality
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Pre-Calculus
FREE COURSES: CybSec for Everyone, CybSec Business Professionals, Insurance Inst. Ethics, NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators, Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
I always advocate applying early rather than later. You lock in your catalog, and you get your existing credits evaluated and transferred in. It also serves as symbol of commitment to the process. If you're planning to do Study.com, then you want to get the affiliate pricing and waive the cornerstone before you take any TECEPs or courses.

You do have to take a TECEP to become enrolled and if it takes you longer than a year, you might have to take a second one to stay enrolled, but everyone needs at least one course or TECEP (the capstone) and there are plenty of others to choose from.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Your catalog won't be locked in until you are officially enrolled, not just making application. To be enrolled you have to either take a TECEP or a course with TESU. If you want to lock in the current catalog you should do it before July 1 when the new catalog starts.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
I don't advocate waiting around unless you are really broke to the point where spending $200 is a hardship.

Although the number of alternative credit options have been expanding, the number of graduation requirements has been rising as well. Flexibility in meeting graduation requirements have been decreasing over time. Usually changes make it harder to graduate, not easier.

Changes have occurred outside of July 1st like last year when they got rid of TECEPs counting towards residency for those enrolled after April 1st 2016. If you enrolled on the day TESU announced the change during March 2016, your enrollment date would be after 4/1 which made the change unavoidable to non-students or applicants who didn't bother to enroll in a TECEP. Changes can be very expensive like the TECEP change. I would get the study.com deal done to avoid the cornerstone and get the discount first. After that, sign up with TESU along with a TECEP to get enrolled. You have to be enrolled. Just being an applicant is not good enough.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
I applied as soon as I "thought" I had all my ACE credits finished up. I missed out on a CLEP so I am taking a couple more Study.com courses and will have to send again. I only waited because I knew I had plenty of time to apply and enroll before July came around. If I was in your position I would just apply now. 75$ to apply. Look over there TECEPs and sign up for 1 or two of them. If your going the Business route I'd sign up for the Strategic Management TECEP now before it may be gone.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
I applied when TESU had an info session because I knew they'd waive the application fee Big Grin

But it truly depends on your situation - all the points made previously are absolutely correct - if you save now and wait, you may pay for it on the tail end by being victim to the institutional changes. Best (and unlikely) case, there are no changes and you can do as I did and wait until the info session shows on the website, save the $75. (I didn't apply until November 2016 so the April 2016 Residency change wasn't even on my radar. If you do decide to wait, a lot of the members here are wise enough to advise on any transfer credits you may have already and incorporate them into "the spreadsheet" so you can begin to work through some of the planning and cost allocation of your classes.

It doesn't hurt to apply if you can afford it. If not, Hey, you can only do what you can do, don't sweat it. It's still a better deal and experience than most B&M colleges.
TESU Commencement - Saturday, September 23, 2017!

Goal: TESU, BSBA General Management by September 2017
68/120 credits completed
In Progress This Month
Prin of Mgmt, Org Behavior, Bus Law, Prin of Fin (DSST)

November 2016
TESU Info Session (waived app fee + free breakfast)
Previous B&M - 45 cr. transferred
March 2017
Aleks - Intermediate Alg, College Alg, Intro to Stats
Institutes - Ethics
Guardian Scholarship Awarded 3/23/17
April 2017
Study.com - Personal Finance, Digital Marketing & Advertising
May 2017
World Religions, Pr. of Marketing

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,999 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,670 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,127 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,665 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,743 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,360 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,605 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,337 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,393 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,869 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore