Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Expectation vs. Reality for Political Science Master's
#1
It's definitely a "me" thing, but I think I faced some issues after starting, then deferring, a program.
- One, I mixed up being "into" politics and wanting to study actual political science. 
- Two, I didn't give myself sufficient time to rest between ending my last program and beginning a new one.
- Three, I don't feel like I was a good culture fit at all for the program. I've taken other online programs before, but I just didn't mesh with the cohort.
- Four, why did I think that spending $26k would be a good idea? I withdrew just before the deadline.

I just finished my Master's in Data Science (Boston University) and hyped up political science so much that I crashed (and burned) in the first week of my new program (Tier 2). I developed a stiff neck and a major headache last weekend and just knew that the stress wasn't for me. With things being what they are in the U.S., I'm also not sure that the program I entered would continue to be supported by financial aid, which would be a problem.

I also realized that, with the level of debt that I have now, even though I want to continue school, adding a $26k load (which I know isn't exactly the worst) would be unrealistic, even if the total debt would still be lower than my expected starting salary.

Currently, I've withdrawn from the current semester, but depending on circumstances, I could either join a different program (for $10k) in AI (which I just realized was something I'm interested in learning more about) or just rely on Coursera courses for now. 

In either case, to meet the student loan deadline, I'll self-pay if I get into the AI master's program (I was admitted to the Eastern University program, but I still need to take the assessment).

I still can't help but think that I should really continue the political science master's since it's something that I've always been passionate in learning about but, at the same time, I know that culture fit and flexibility are what I need right now since I want to start a business or search for a job.

Anyway, end of my rant. I'm just really confused about my next steps, but I am going to (re)start going to therapy really soon to (hopefully) understand what I need to do.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cfornesa's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
Reply
#2
if you're passionate about political science then just learn it

I can't think of any reason to get a masters unless you want to teach it in a community college or be a social studies teacher in a high school

you can search for political science textbooks on amazon -- just buy a couple and start reading
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=political+sci...rated_qb_0

the great courses has some lectures
https://www.thegreatcoursesplus.com/cata...=political+

https://www.thegreatcoursesplus.com/alls...=mega_menu

you can see the requirements for a bachelors
https://bulletin.fordham.edu/undergradua...nce/major/

just find books and documentaries on the same material

UMPI even has an inexpensive youpace bachelors in political science
you have to scroll way down
https://catalog.umpi.edu/preview_program...8&poid=878
[-] The following 2 users Like bluebooger's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, wow
Reply
#3
Are you saying that you're more into policymaking and political drama than political science as a social science? If so, then yeah, political science programs that focus on theory and philosophy, research techniques, and government structures might be boring. A program in political campaign management, international relations, or diplomacy might be more interesting.

While they are different fields, there is a lot of overlap between data science, machine learning, and AI. If you wanted to work in AI, you could do so with a data science degree. If I'm not mistaken, Eastern's AI program is new. At Degreeinfo, Dustin completed their data science program and said that it wasn't that technical.
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
Reply
#4
(01-29-2026, 07:55 PM)sanantone Wrote: Are you saying that you're more into policymaking and political drama than political science as a social science? If so, then yeah, political science programs that focus on theory and philosophy, research techniques, and government structures might be boring. A program in political campaign management, international relations, or diplomacy might be more interesting.

While they are different fields, there is a lot of overlap between data science, machine learning, and AI. If you wanted to work in AI, you could do so with a data science degree. If I'm not mistaken, Eastern's AI program is new. At Degreeinfo, Dustin completed their data science program and said that it wasn't that technical.

I have seen multiple degree programs in public policy.... but I REALLY want to see a degree program in political drama Wink  Big Grin
Associates in: EMS, History, and Philosophy
Certificates in: Military History and Quality Assurance
B.S. in: Emergency Management and Healthcare Admin
M.S. in: Public Safety Administration
Graduate Certificate in: National Security
In Progress: Doctorate and Masters # 2 and 3
[-] The following 1 user Likes FireMedic_Philosopher's post:
  • wow
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB New Master Thread bjcheung77 795 274,511 1 hour ago
Last Post: DegreeNerd
  ETAMU Master's in Organizational Leadership VanillaBean 0 128 Yesterday, 12:02 PM
Last Post: VanillaBean
  Unimarconi Master via ENEB Thread Kalas 138 36,743 09-26-2026, 01:01 AM
Last Post: DegreeNerd
  Newlane's Master in Philosophy marcelor78 33 4,087 09-23-2026, 05:50 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  CLEA Masstercursos master course paddyqr 127 49,679 09-12-2026, 09:01 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Master of Science in Finance Mint Berry Crunch 3 1,037 08-18-2026, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch
  NEW Univ of Virginia - Master of Change Management smartdegree 0 721 08-07-2026, 03:43 PM
Last Post: smartdegree
  SEU CBE MA in Leadership (English) and Religion Master’s (English & Spanish) Jonathan Whatley 4 1,361 08-06-2026, 11:34 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  UGC Opens Door to One-Year Online Master’s from India Jonathan Whatley 1 765 08-06-2026, 05:42 AM
Last Post: cc95
  Four Foreign Educational Credentials that are Master’s in Name Only NotJoeBiden 10 2,388 07-28-2026, 12:15 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)