Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Can I use credits from my existing bachelor's degree at the Big 3?
#34
effdub Wrote:I guess my primary hesitance to just go for the MBA (apart from the cost, which is a very real concern) is that I don't really have strong competency in the fundamental areas of study/practice. So if I jammed my way through, I'd likely come out the other end with a piece of paper and not a whole lot to back it up. I've met so many MBAs that are exactly that: guys with paper that are clueless. The world doesn't need another one, in my opinion.

I've taken one business class ever: microeconomics. That's it. I really don't think that's a qualifier for jumping into an MBA, despite everybody telling me that there are essentially no pre-reqs for MBA, you just need money. I feel that I would be better served, educationally, by studying the fundamentals and getting a BS in business. My primary goal is to learn, and after analyzing the different degree options, BSBA looks (on paper) to be the best bet for widening my knowledge base in the areas I'm interested in.

I know it sounds crazy, but for me this whole exercise is really about learning new things. Career advancement is secondary (or maybe tertiary).


So...cost is a big concern...but your deliberately not concerning yourself about the result of the degree, the utility of it....I have to admit, your line of thinking doesn't make sense to me.

If you just want to learn about business read Kaufman's book/blog Personal MBA Book - Josh Kaufman (he will tell you NOT to get the MBA). Then read everything written by Seth Godin...skip B-School altogether. You don't need to spend $3000-10000 on a degree.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Can I use credits from my existing bachelor's degree at the Big 3? - by rebel100 - 01-29-2013, 02:37 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Todd Wallack WP: For less than $100, I clicked my way toward a college degree in days LevelUP 32 4,637 09-28-2026, 04:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  A Free Accredited Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science – How Do We Get There? MNomadic 21 12,264 09-26-2026, 01:19 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 54 72,311 09-25-2026, 10:47 PM
Last Post: DegreeNerd
  Online bachelor's degree for students fluent in Japanese archsvt 2 2,264 08-03-2026, 09:15 PM
Last Post: ueacquire
  WaPo Article Questions Rapid Degree Completion ('Degree Hacking’) swlearner71 59 12,543 07-24-2026, 09:27 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  The Bachelor’s Degree: A Human Operating System LevelUP 3 1,551 07-23-2026, 07:58 AM
Last Post: soba
  Judge Tosses ED’s ‘Professional’ Degree Definition TINASAM 2 1,013 06-26-2026, 10:56 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  UoPeople degree paused in Minnesota TINASAM 11 2,349 06-12-2026, 03:04 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  Degree walls wow 6 1,191 06-02-2026, 07:08 AM
Last Post: wow
  Looking for online, self-paced computer science core courses that offer RA credits mylo 5 1,760 04-22-2026, 05:41 PM
Last Post: ss20ts

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)