cookderosa Wrote:You've already gotten tons of good advice, I'll just share my experience. My closest friend completed her associate degree in child development about a year or two before I started at TESC. Her degree is an AAS (are you sure yours will be an AS?) and unfortunately she took out a hefty student loan and the whole process took her 4 years. She has held the same job since graduation (10 years or so) and earns $12.00/hour. She is the highest paid aid in the K-5 district, and since the district only uses aids in special ed, she has occasionally been moved to different schools based on where the new year's needs are. She is on a 9 month contract (unlike teachers) which means "technically" they could end her employment each school year, but so far, funding has allowed her to be rehired each year. Summers she works daycare for about $9/hr and has done that since she was in school- so probably 12 years with them, and barely gets 40 hrs per week.
When she went to CC, I didn't know what I know now, but since then I've tried to help her look for a path for more income. Of course she has spent a decade in special ed, and I have encouraged her repeatedly to earn her bachelor's degree and run her own classroom. She certainly has the ability- her trouble is that only 12 of her child development credits are general ed, the rest are in child development, so essentially there is no transfer into an education degree without tons of work, and that mountain isn't one she's up for just now.
So, my suggestion to you is if you're even remotely considering that you'd like to be the teacher instead of the aid some day, don't waste your time chasing liberal arts or social science at TESC- do directly into a teacher ed program. Of course, if your plans don't include k-12 education, it is probably best to do whatever is fastest so you can start working. Anyway, just tossing that into the mix.
WGU is ranked #1 for secondary teacher preparation; they are #16 for elementary teacher preparation. They also have NCATE accreditation.
Become A Teacher Online with WGU. Non Profit. Accredited
Alternative teacher certification programs are more flexible for those who can't afford to quit their job for a semester of student teaching.
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc


![[-]](https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/images/collapse.png)