Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Post-Retirement IT Job Advice? (BEWARE: Crazy Question)
#2
My dad works for AT&T in the IT part of the company (they mostly do big data analysis). He doesn't even have a degree in IT. He has a BS in Electrical Engineering and an MBA from City U. From what he tells me (and how well I think grasp what he's saying ConfusedmilelolSmile, getting jobs in that field is extremely easy with either the right degree(s) or prior experience in the field, because there is a high demand for those people.

I just asked him what degree he would recommend for someone he was looking to hire for his group. He said, "Generally, my team needs people who know computer science, statistics, network technology and/or computer information systems." Based off that information I would say that degrees in computer related fields, especially involving large scale information use/protection (cyber security) would be fine choices. He did say they look favorably on people who have programming "know how" and more importantly, experience.

Based on that information and wanting to self study for my own degree, I chose to do the BSBA in CIS at TESU. He said it was a fine choice and upon finishing he had no doubt I'd be able to find work in a large company IT department (currently planning to go Army though). His only tips were whatever the degree is, make sure you have classes on your transcript associated with programming languages, network technology/cloud computing, and possibly cyber security if the end goal is to go into IT.


Best of luck to you!
-zach
TESU March 2020 Graduation
--ASNSM Mathematics
--BSBA Accounting 
--BA Computer Science

University of Alaska Fairbanks (December 2021 Graduation Goal)
--MBA (2/10 : 4.0)


I started this journey in the summer of 2016.  I hoped to be done sooner, but I am still proud of the rate at which I have gotten my schooling done with respect to the many months of military training and deployments I have undergone.  


Reply


Messages In This Thread
Post-Retirement IT Job Advice? (BEWARE: Crazy Question) - by Zachcleigh - 08-07-2016, 04:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trivia question: Name the 5 great lakes of North America? LevelUP 12 917 08-29-2026, 10:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Crazy shopping holiday season! bjcheung77 5 2,589 12-24-2025, 09:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice Needed: Survey Research Project on Non Traditional Students CreativeLearner 8 2,478 09-11-2025, 07:11 PM
Last Post: CreativeLearner
  Colorado Residents - Advice Needed bjcheung77 5 3,944 07-15-2025, 04:39 AM
Last Post: HeatherCO
  Gloat Post: 49 DAYS, ever, The "Credit Sprint" of 2023 [email protected] 3 3,098 05-06-2025, 12:38 PM
Last Post: [email protected]
Exclamation This Week Has Been a Crazy Decade: New OpenAI Image Generator Is Pure FIRE!! LevelUP 1 1,754 03-30-2025, 02:03 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  To 16e or not 16e - That is the question... bjcheung77 4 2,730 03-13-2025, 11:28 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  "Beware the demagogues ready to declare a trade war against our friends" Jonathan Whatley 29 8,072 02-05-2025, 10:22 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Shocked Real estate prices in Texas crazy cheap? David1477 35 11,313 12-20-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  One Post Wonder - AI Bots & Spammers TINASAM 5 12,761 09-16-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)