Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Post-Retirement IT Job Advice? (BEWARE: Crazy Question)
#6
bluebooger Wrote:waste of time I think

the problem is ageism -- which happens in IT quite often

the people doing the hiring just assume older people don't understand the latest technology or needs of the users

ask yourself these questions
do you have a twitter account ?
do you skype ?
do have have a smart phone ? how old is it ? do you know how to install apps ?
do you know what Pokemon Go is ?
how about Dropbox ?
do you know what "torrent" means ?
have you ever uses Amazon Fire TV Stick
what's Instagram ?


I've been doing programming for over 10 years and I'm out of touch with most of that stuff

if you're over 50 people will just assume you're out of touch -- in my case they'd be right

being over 50 with no experience would make it extremely difficult to get an IT job


This is a good point. Another aspect to this (ageism) is something I've heard referred to as "runway." Which i guess is the theory that employers don't want older employees, because they are one: more costly (insurance plans and such), and two: get less use out of older employees, because the amount of time they have left isn't enough to be enticing for an employer.
TESU March 2020 Graduation
--ASNSM Mathematics
--BSBA Accounting 
--BA Computer Science

University of Alaska Fairbanks (December 2021 Graduation Goal)
--MBA (2/10 : 4.0)


I started this journey in the summer of 2016.  I hoped to be done sooner, but I am still proud of the rate at which I have gotten my schooling done with respect to the many months of military training and deployments I have undergone.  


Reply


Messages In This Thread
Post-Retirement IT Job Advice? (BEWARE: Crazy Question) - by Zachcleigh - 08-07-2016, 08:58 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trivia question: Name the 5 great lakes of North America? LevelUP 12 890 08-29-2026, 10:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Crazy shopping holiday season! bjcheung77 5 2,587 12-24-2025, 09:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice Needed: Survey Research Project on Non Traditional Students CreativeLearner 8 2,469 09-11-2025, 07:11 PM
Last Post: CreativeLearner
  Colorado Residents - Advice Needed bjcheung77 5 3,941 07-15-2025, 04:39 AM
Last Post: HeatherCO
  Gloat Post: 49 DAYS, ever, The "Credit Sprint" of 2023 [email protected] 3 3,096 05-06-2025, 12:38 PM
Last Post: [email protected]
Exclamation This Week Has Been a Crazy Decade: New OpenAI Image Generator Is Pure FIRE!! LevelUP 1 1,752 03-30-2025, 02:03 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  To 16e or not 16e - That is the question... bjcheung77 4 2,719 03-13-2025, 11:28 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  "Beware the demagogues ready to declare a trade war against our friends" Jonathan Whatley 29 8,066 02-05-2025, 10:22 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Shocked Real estate prices in Texas crazy cheap? David1477 35 11,293 12-20-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  One Post Wonder - AI Bots & Spammers TINASAM 5 12,754 09-16-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)