Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
StraighterLine English Composition II - Inconsistent Grading?
#13
Thorne Wrote:So, I'm running through English Comp. II with SL right now and have noticed substantial inconsistent grading in assignments thus far.

First Essay - Cartoon Analysis:
In the draft, Language was given 5/5. In the final, Language was given 4/5. No changes were made regarding language choice (save one adjective) because I already had the 5/5 with no critiques, so how is it that my language became worse?

Second Essay - Classification Essay:
In the draft, Thesis, Support, Organization, Language, and Grammar all received 5/5. In the final, Thesis, Support, Organization, and Grammar were given 4/5.
Again, how did my 5/5 "superior" thesis become worse when I DIDN'T CHANGE IT. I was given an incredible score on my Draft (72/75) but my Final received a much, much worse score (63/75). Of course, upon the final being graded, I received new critiques that did not fit in whatsoever with the statements of the draft grader.

Does SL just want to screw students, or is this just a fluke resulting from different graders? I'm thinking about contacting a student advisor on the grounds that a thesis cannot possibly become worse if it was already 5/5 with the statement, "Great, relevant thesis statement!" attached. A regrade on that measure alone would bump my assignment grade from 84% to around 89%.

Has anyone else had an experience with this? What are your opinions?

yes, same experience with both my sons. They finished SL English II last week. When you go in to your comments page and ruberic chart, you can see who your grader is - I believe their initials are listed and sometimes they signed their names. Its likely that you just have a different grader.

EDIT to add: I don't think the graders know when it's a draft vs final. I say that because in my son's feedback, they would frequently use phrases like "if this is a draft, be sure to...."
Reply


Messages In This Thread
StraighterLine English Composition II - Inconsistent Grading? - by cookderosa - 06-02-2017, 08:23 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question re certain topics and StraighterLine DNA course daydream 9 1,289 07-11-2026, 10:20 PM
Last Post: daydream
  Study.com CS 202 grading wmeacham1 3 807 06-28-2026, 09:59 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Questions about SDC, Straighterline & Sophia VanillaBean 2 1,300 04-04-2026, 04:23 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Proctoring at StraighterLine Kelly4altcreds 23 17,985 03-10-2026, 09:10 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Saylor grading and transcript timeframe Ideas 6 4,686 01-05-2026, 05:13 PM
Last Post: bushysmalls
Big Grin HELP! Straighterline to AA Degree options kevinmane 10 3,037 11-30-2025, 02:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 405 630,281 11-27-2025, 02:20 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Straighterline transfers straight to TESU or have to go through ACE? suzycupcake 8 2,982 11-13-2025, 12:10 PM
Last Post: PearsonOTHMQualifi7654
  StraighterLine pricing changes... bjcheung77 13 8,686 10-08-2025, 09:43 AM
Last Post: eLearner
  Sophia not more than 2 courses at the same time even waiting for grading Kab 2 4,295 08-18-2025, 05:17 AM
Last Post: Ares

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)