08-23-2018, 05:16 PM
(08-23-2018, 04:43 PM)Merlin Wrote:(08-23-2018, 01:59 PM)katelynn Wrote:(08-23-2018, 01:56 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:(08-23-2018, 01:52 PM)katelynn Wrote:Yeah I read the 9 credit overlap rule here earlier today while looking into this:(08-23-2018, 01:34 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I just want to confirm my understanding of this based on information gathered from a few different threads on here:
If I wanted to do a second area of study, I would:
A. Make sure that it's within the same "type" of degree (in my case, Bachelor of Arts)
B. Complete the Gen Ed requirements for that degree
C. Complete both areas of study
And that's it? Are there any other roadblocks/obstacles? Also, I just want to confirm that the second area of study essentially replaces your free electives, is that correct? Are there any potential issues if the Gen ED + AoS 1 + AoS 2 add up to more than 120 credits (other than obviously having to do a few extra credits)?
Thanks in advance!
I was actually just talking about this with someone over lunch today. I think you can only bring 9 area of study credits into your second degree, but I might be wrong (probably am, honestly).
I wonder how many credits would transfer to a completely different degree type? Both your Gen Ed and elective credits, leaving only the 2nd degree's area of study credits to work on?
https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/t...one-degree
Not a huge concern for me personally as the two AoS's I'm interested don't overlap much (History and Psychology), but good info to file away
Do you have to have separate elective credits (outside of Gen Ed electives, of course) if you do a second Area of Study, or does the second AoS essentially replace the free electives? (Edit: realize now that you probably meant different degree type as in Bachelor of Arts vs Bachelor of Science). Question still stands in general, but not related to what you said as I now understand it.)
Yeah, I think we both have the same question except you want a 2nd AoS and I want a 2nd degree type altogether, but still want to use the same elective credits. Either way, we both need answers haha.
To be clear, a second AOS in the same degree is on top of the 120 credits required for the first degree, so the second AOS doesn't replace your electives. You're typically looking at a total of 135-144 credits to graduate with two concentrations; however, if you're pursuing a degree other than the BSBA, TESU will allow you can have up to 9 credits (3 courses) shared between both concentrations (if both AOS are similar enough).
FYI, this is not the same as getting two different degrees (like a BA and BS) in the same graduation cycle, which is typically not allowed at TESU. They usually require you to return after the first degree is conferred with at least 24 additional credits earned after the date of degree conferral. There is an exception in that if they are both in the same academic "school" within the university, you may be able to earn two different bachelors degrees (both BA or both BS) in the same graduation cycle provided 24 credits are different in the second degree's core/AOS.
Thank you, this is precisely what I wanted to know.
It does, however, bring a couple of other questions to mind regarding a second degree (not 2nd AoS), if you (or someone else) happens to know the answers:
1. Does how a class fits into your first degree impact how it is listed in your second? E.g. if I wanted to "get a head start" on a Degree 2, could I take a class that fits into AoS 2 and use it as an elective for degree 1 but then have that credit work towards the AoS for degree 2? (Provided I also have 24 additional credits that don't overlap from one degree to another). I guess if I wanted to give less vague language I could give my example: I'm interested in BAs in both History & Psychology. If I take Intro to Psychology while working on my History BA and count it as a gen-ed or free elective for the History BA, would I later be able to count it as my Intro to Psychology requirement for the Psych degree?
2. When you say "24 additional credits earned after the date of degree conferral", does that mean I would have to not take the course itself (through Study.com/SL/whatever) until the first degree is conferred, or just not have it evaluated for credit until then?
3. How can you tell if two degrees are from the same "school" within the university? Is it by whether it's a Bachelor of Arts vs a Bachelor of Science vs whatever?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024
Link to all credits earned: Link
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024
Link to all credits earned: Link


![[-]](https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/images/collapse.png)