Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Psychology Road Map at the Big Three
#12
Wow, this thread really grew much more than I expected. Someone said I should have specified my industry. I'm in IT. Though this isn't true everywhere and in every situation in general the IT world is a meritocracy: you advance through demonstrated competence. Most of the  time, the absence of a degree isn't much of a barrier provided you have the skills and experience a prospective employer needs.

So, as for why I'm considering Psyche or Business it's simple: I have a math related learning disability. I was intimidated by Excelsior's pre-calculus requirement for a business degree. That got me thinking, "what other degree would be useful in a managerial context that has a lesser math requirement?" Psychology seemed the most relevant. A lot of management is managing other people's personalities. I've been a manager/business owner enough times in my life to know this. 

I do want to work my way into management and not just more technical positions going forward. I am confident I can do that if I really want to, even absent a degree. I know very well how to win that fight. I'm just tired of not having a degree largely due to severe failures of disability accommodation early in my academic career by my previous college. I'm not crying a river here, it hasn't been a barrier. I'm just giving a bit of context.

Looking at Thomas Edison's Business degree requirements, it looks like their math requirements are well within the scope of my abilities. Thanks to everyone who pointed this out. I'm not sure I'll need psych as a "plan B" anymore. I'll still chart out a road map in case it becomes relevant or something changes.

I do have one more question I forget who mentioned it, but...

Someone did mention the underemployment rates of business degree holders. I observed that acutely during the housing crisis downturn. I knew several people who were Liberal Arts + MBA degree holders who found themselves in deep trouble in that economy. So, other than my strong IT background which I'm sure helps, how might I differentiate myself from the rest of the pack with a BS BA in a future downturn? I'm wide open to suggestions.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Psychology Road Map at the Big Three - by retro - 12-23-2018, 05:28 PM
RE: Psychology Road Map at the Big Three - by retro - 12-24-2018, 09:35 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is My TESU Eval Accurate? (BA Psychology) myriam555 6 1,111 06-01-2026, 05:39 PM
Last Post: myriam555
  Which college for BA Psychology with sophia starting from scratch eianmanuel 1 1,259 10-26-2025, 03:50 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BS in Psychology by 2028 for 14 year old Paige Alex 3 1,389 08-21-2025, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Fastest & Easiest TESU BALS road map? (Not sure if Wiki is up to date) sharsharky 2 2,165 06-05-2025, 12:37 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  EU Citizen Seeking Low-Cost Online Studies in Law, Psychology, or Public Administration acamaca 5 2,705 05-27-2025, 04:24 PM
Last Post: newdegree
Smile Psychology Bachelor’s I can complete in 10 months from scratch? + How can I help out? wiggle932 4 5,174 02-23-2025, 01:04 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Roadmap to UMPI BSc Psychology 2025 flan_eur 12 5,225 01-04-2025, 07:40 PM
Last Post: flan_eur
  Master in Psychology - easiest/fastest Sam1245 11 12,555 12-29-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 13 6,088 08-31-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: Dr Tree Man
  Bachelor in Psychology (having a Bachelor, MBA, PhD) psychobachelor 8 3,009 08-30-2024, 10:42 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)