Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!)
#19
Welcome to the forum!

I'm in a similar situation ... or should say I was.  I had approximately 15 credits from my first year in college.  Like Merlin and others here, I was 17 years old when I started my college journey.

Anyhow, I started small to get back in the swing.  I hate butt-in-seat courses for the reason you described:  my kids and her whiney friends dominate the college scene, especially during the day.  So instead of that chaos, we have lots of options to get you moving in the direction you want to go.

In addition to the TEEX courses, there is at least one if not two free courses on Sophia and at least one insurance (?) course, I think.  There's a wiki on this, which I thought I had bookmarked but I cannot seem to locate.  Perhaps someone else will chime in or maybe that's one of the wikis you've already read.  

I think BJ mentioned onlinedegree.com.  Their courses are $9.  They're accredited by NCCRS so if you're thinking of attending WGU, those courses won't likely transfer.  But they should transfer to TESU, COSC or EXC.  And $9 to get a feel for getting back in the groove of things is pocket change.

Btw, if you're going to take Aleks math courses, come here and ask some questions before enrolling.  You can get 3 credits each for college algebra, college trig and statistics.  There's an optimal way to knock out Aleks math courses in a very short period of time. You can test out by completing the initial assessment and earn 3 credits with one short, un-proctored assessment.  There are tricks to make sure you don't get caught in the proverbial loops at Aleks or register for duplicate courses.  Getting the inside scoop on this forum will help.

Formulate a short plan for yourself and ask more questions, come back and post your degree proposal, even if it's been posted before.  Things change with time and what was true last year, may no longer be true now.
Robin
Member since 2008

~ Slowly collecting credits from a variety of sources. Almost finished with my baccalaureate degree.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - by rvm - 01-16-2019, 01:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Todd Wallack WP: For less than $100, I clicked my way toward a college degree in days LevelUP 32 4,760 09-28-2026, 04:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Survey: Majority of Americans Say College Not Affordable LevelUP 15 1,813 09-25-2026, 10:24 PM
Last Post: DegreeNerd
  College costs top $100,000 at 15 schools LevelUP 0 383 08-21-2026, 01:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  This College Now Verifies Students’ Real-World Skills To Help Them Get Jobs LevelUP 0 424 08-17-2026, 08:32 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  The Rise Of The Vibe School In College Admissions LevelUP 7 1,464 08-05-2026, 04:33 PM
Last Post: lickington
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 12 7,129 07-22-2026, 03:25 PM
Last Post: tomicavols
  College Students Are Testing at the Level of 10-Year-Olds LevelUP 8 1,983 07-08-2026, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  Academic ‘boot camp’ helps veterans build college confidence LevelUP 0 577 06-30-2026, 07:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Over 41 Million Adults Say They Want To Enroll In College, But Will They? LevelUP 2 777 06-12-2026, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  5 Smart Tips for Choosing a College and Major in the AI Era LevelUP 0 686 05-31-2026, 04:35 PM
Last Post: LevelUP

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)