01-20-2020, 03:16 PM
I went back and checked my e-mail and they replied to me in May of 2019.
I'm happy to get into the weeds on this for a second and with great respect because I know that you have helped me more than once. I almost went to COSC for the Bachelor's in General Studies - Computer Science Concentration. I did not for the following two reasons:
1) The computer science concentration is not printed on the diploma. Neither is the major (general studies).
2) The major is general studies -- not computer science.
That's actually publicly available here: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...bachelors/
COSC offers Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degrees in General Studies. If you get a bachelor's degree in general studies with any concentration, your diploma will either say:
"Bachelor of Arts"
or
"Bachelor of Science"
The major (general studies) and the concentration(s) are printed on the official transcripts.
I agree that the curriculum is robust and that it wouldn't be lying to say you studied computer science in college. However, these are general studies degrees before they're computer science degrees.
I don't think this is a matter of semantics, rather being very precise with information that is important and could cost people. These degree titles matter. "Bachelor's of Computer Science" is not printed on any degree for COSC. If your employer verifies your education and the name of the degree is mismatched, you may not always have a chance to explain why you wrote what you did. There's also no guarantee that the employer would accept your explanation, even if it's not fair to you. If you plan on going abroad, you can forget getting an exception if you don't meet the requirements.
The only time I've ever used my degree for work was by providing the original diploma upon which the government made a copy. I've never provided transcripts.
To summarize, the degree you're talking about is a general studies degree with a computer science concentration.
Degree: Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Science
Major: general studies
concentration: computer science
So, when you tell people that COSC has a computer science degree, people like me are going to go and look. They are going to check with COSC and COSC is going to say, "No, but we have this."
This is why I say they do not.
I'm happy to get into the weeds on this for a second and with great respect because I know that you have helped me more than once. I almost went to COSC for the Bachelor's in General Studies - Computer Science Concentration. I did not for the following two reasons:
1) The computer science concentration is not printed on the diploma. Neither is the major (general studies).
2) The major is general studies -- not computer science.
That's actually publicly available here: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...bachelors/
COSC offers Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degrees in General Studies. If you get a bachelor's degree in general studies with any concentration, your diploma will either say:
"Bachelor of Arts"
or
"Bachelor of Science"
The major (general studies) and the concentration(s) are printed on the official transcripts.
I agree that the curriculum is robust and that it wouldn't be lying to say you studied computer science in college. However, these are general studies degrees before they're computer science degrees.
I don't think this is a matter of semantics, rather being very precise with information that is important and could cost people. These degree titles matter. "Bachelor's of Computer Science" is not printed on any degree for COSC. If your employer verifies your education and the name of the degree is mismatched, you may not always have a chance to explain why you wrote what you did. There's also no guarantee that the employer would accept your explanation, even if it's not fair to you. If you plan on going abroad, you can forget getting an exception if you don't meet the requirements.
The only time I've ever used my degree for work was by providing the original diploma upon which the government made a copy. I've never provided transcripts.
To summarize, the degree you're talking about is a general studies degree with a computer science concentration.
Degree: Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Science
Major: general studies
concentration: computer science
So, when you tell people that COSC has a computer science degree, people like me are going to go and look. They are going to check with COSC and COSC is going to say, "No, but we have this."
This is why I say they do not.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)
Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)
Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)
Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)
Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)


![[-]](https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/images/collapse.png)