Poll: What would you do in my shoes?
This poll is closed.
CPA requirements only/CPA plus accounting masters
90.00%
9 90.00%
Local university
0%
0 0%
Excelsior
10.00%
1 10.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Degree dilemma
#1
I am trying to decide what my next degree(s) should be and would love some additional opinions. I earned a BA and MA in history years ago on-campus from brink and mortar colleges. I was super lucky to get a government job in a finance/accounting role that I really like. Without an accounting degree I can definitely get promoted a couple of times, to go beyond that an accounting degree/CPA would definitely be helpful. I also would like to have an accounting degree/CPA as a backup should I stop working for the government for whatever reason. 

I am enrolled at a local university (that does not accept ACE credit, unfortunately). I am a planner/investigator by nature and this school is by far the easiest/cheapest/fastest way for me to meet my state’s CPA requirements.  

I would like to earn a master’s degree in accounting and am eyeing Emporia State University online. I have talked to their admissions people and the courses I am taking at my local university to meet the CPA requirements will be sufficient for admissions to the master’s program, assuming I maintain my (pretty high) business/accounting GPA. 

I am considering 3 options:
1) Take only the required CPA classes at my local university.  This will cost me around $2,500-$2,700 in tuition and fees. I can be done with this by the end of this year or early next year. I could combine this with the Emporia State masters. Would cost about $13,000 total in tuition and fees and take about 3 years. 

2) Complete my BS in accounting at the local university.  This would cost about $7,000 in tuition and fees. The biggest problem with this is that it would take 2-3 years to finish at my pace.

3) Complete the CPA requirement courses at my local university and finish my BS in Business with concentration in General Accounting from Excelsior College. I think this would cost $5,500-$6,000 in tuition and fees. The big advantage over option 2 is that I could complete it in about 1 year. 

For what it’s worth, I have looked into WGU and talked to their admissions folks. I would pretty much have to do option 2 or 3 to be admitted. I also can’t take classes/do projects super quickly because of work and family commitments, so I would have to give up WGU’s biggest advantage. 

Also worth noting that I am funding this myself, no tuition reimbursement or time off for education. 

So, what would you do in my situation?
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Degree dilemma - by freeloader - 04-28-2020, 07:29 AM
RE: Degree dilemma - by natshar - 04-28-2020, 08:38 AM
RE: Degree dilemma - by freeloader - 04-28-2020, 10:27 AM
RE: Degree dilemma - by natshar - 04-28-2020, 11:12 AM
RE: Degree dilemma - by dfrecore - 04-28-2020, 01:14 PM
RE: Degree dilemma - by jsd - 04-28-2020, 02:57 PM
RE: Degree dilemma - by LongRoad - 04-28-2020, 01:41 PM
RE: Degree dilemma - by udi - 04-28-2020, 02:44 PM
RE: Degree dilemma - by freeloader - 04-28-2020, 03:19 PM
RE: Degree dilemma - by american999 - 04-28-2020, 03:23 PM
RE: Degree dilemma - by lacussucceed - 04-28-2020, 03:59 PM
RE: Degree dilemma - by dfrecore - 04-28-2020, 06:31 PM
RE: Degree dilemma - by bjcheung77 - 04-29-2020, 03:08 AM
RE: Degree dilemma - by LongRoad - 04-29-2020, 10:06 AM
RE: Degree dilemma - by SteveFoerster - 04-30-2020, 05:47 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Todd Wallack WP: For less than $100, I clicked my way toward a college degree in days LevelUP 32 4,482 09-28-2026, 04:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  A Free Accredited Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science – How Do We Get There? MNomadic 21 12,170 09-26-2026, 01:19 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 54 72,126 09-25-2026, 10:47 PM
Last Post: DegreeNerd
  Online bachelor's degree for students fluent in Japanese archsvt 2 2,223 08-03-2026, 09:15 PM
Last Post: ueacquire
  WaPo Article Questions Rapid Degree Completion ('Degree Hacking’) swlearner71 59 12,245 07-24-2026, 09:27 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  The Bachelor’s Degree: A Human Operating System LevelUP 3 1,483 07-23-2026, 07:58 AM
Last Post: soba
  Judge Tosses ED’s ‘Professional’ Degree Definition TINASAM 2 987 06-26-2026, 10:56 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  UoPeople degree paused in Minnesota TINASAM 11 2,278 06-12-2026, 03:04 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  Degree walls wow 6 1,157 06-02-2026, 07:08 AM
Last Post: wow
  Degree via Validation of Acquired Experience (VAE) wheatenbread 2 1,834 04-20-2026, 01:15 PM
Last Post: PearsonOTHMQualifi7654

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)