Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Sophia Algebra
#12
I don't know how to compare SL algebra with Sopha; I've never taken SL algebra. But I do know that if my HS algebra classes had been as poorly worded/designed as Sophia then I would've come out of school hating algebra/math. Thankfully, I do have someone who is willing (eager, even) to tutor me in difficult math subjects.

I've made it to the second unit, so far. Almost ready to move to unit 3. It definitely feels like some of this stuff is being taught backwards. Absolute value is brought up and taught after absolute value is used in exponents/radicals. Formulas, and how to solve them, are taught in the middle of everything and not at the beginning, where they should be (IMO).

Sophia is good for people who know algebra already and just want to prove to a university that they know it. It's not ideal as a refresher and I believe that it'd be absolutely confusing if taken by someone with no algebra experience at all. I would not be happy about having spent $330 for this course. Thank goodness it's free.

Algebra for Dummies is a good idea. If you have the money, I'd really recommend ALEKS for math. Very clear examples and explanations. I need to get some more notebooks so that I can write out and work on the problems.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Sophia Algebra - by rachel83az - 04-29-2020, 08:05 AM
RE: Sophia Algebra - by lacussucceed - 04-29-2020, 08:30 AM
RE: Sophia Algebra - by rachel83az - 04-29-2020, 08:39 AM
RE: Sophia Algebra - by lacussucceed - 04-29-2020, 08:42 AM
RE: Sophia Algebra - by LongRoad - 04-29-2020, 10:14 AM
RE: Sophia Algebra - by Diana321 - 04-29-2020, 08:40 AM
RE: Sophia Algebra - by rachel83az - 04-29-2020, 08:45 AM
RE: Sophia Algebra - by Diana321 - 04-29-2020, 08:59 AM
RE: Sophia Algebra - by rachel83az - 04-29-2020, 09:04 AM
RE: Sophia Algebra - by terryd5150 - 04-29-2020, 05:09 PM
RE: Sophia Algebra - by Lacedonia4 - 04-30-2020, 10:32 PM
RE: Sophia Algebra - by rachel83az - 05-01-2020, 07:49 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What courses would you like to see on Sophia/SDC/etc? Robson 61 12,997 Yesterday, 08:16 PM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch
  WARNING: Don't try and cheat on Sophia, they are suspending lots of accounts! LevelUP 26 10,931 09-25-2026, 08:16 PM
Last Post: DegreeNerd
Lightbulb New courses on Sophia daydream 3 962 08-18-2026, 08:18 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Sophia.org Membership Code - Recent bjcheung77 308 256,737 07-01-2026, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Bcopeland64
  New Sophia Courses Physics, Principles of Leadership, Digital Literacy, Intro to Ed LevelUP 5 1,256 07-01-2026, 12:09 AM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch
  ENG COMP I & II - SDC, SL or Sophia any4yeardegree 19 3,527 06-01-2026, 07:47 PM
Last Post: myriam555
  Questions about SDC, Straighterline & Sophia VanillaBean 2 1,343 04-04-2026, 04:23 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  New Sophia Course Medical Terminology Jonathan Whatley 9 3,602 03-27-2026, 11:50 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
Question Credit from services like Sophia.org with no written assignments BR3_26 3 2,463 03-12-2026, 09:15 AM
Last Post: wow
  New Sophia Course Business Data Analytics Jonathan Whatley 30 19,452 01-27-2026, 11:09 AM
Last Post: animuscerebri

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)