01-19-2022, 04:10 AM
I think these situations are worth taking to the dean. My own experience is that if you get to the dean/director level at TESU, they are extremely responsive and appreciative of feedback, positive and negative.
The LIB-495 course, as I understand it, is supposed to be pretty consistently delivered by all the professors who mentor it. There are some variations, of course, but basic things like not using first-person is right in the requirements of the course. And a mentor insisting on Zoom calls and calling you unannounced is simply not appropriate.
My mentor for LIB-495 was Augustus Black, and I honestly can't imagine a better professor. Super helpful, endlessly patient, available at all hours, 7 days a week, and actively encourages his students to call any time they have questions... and he's incredibly generous with his time, a fair grader... and he will absolutely make you a better writer even if you're already pretty decent. I am sure there are others who are equally good professors, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find one who is as caring, as willing to go out of his way, and yet as nonjudgmental and flexible as he is.
I also encourage you to post comments to ratemyprofessor. There aren't a lot of comments on many of the LIB-495 professors, and thoughtful ones that accurately describe how a given professor thinks and works is really useful to people trying to decide which professor to select.
The LIB-495 course, as I understand it, is supposed to be pretty consistently delivered by all the professors who mentor it. There are some variations, of course, but basic things like not using first-person is right in the requirements of the course. And a mentor insisting on Zoom calls and calling you unannounced is simply not appropriate.
My mentor for LIB-495 was Augustus Black, and I honestly can't imagine a better professor. Super helpful, endlessly patient, available at all hours, 7 days a week, and actively encourages his students to call any time they have questions... and he's incredibly generous with his time, a fair grader... and he will absolutely make you a better writer even if you're already pretty decent. I am sure there are others who are equally good professors, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find one who is as caring, as willing to go out of his way, and yet as nonjudgmental and flexible as he is.
I also encourage you to post comments to ratemyprofessor. There aren't a lot of comments on many of the LIB-495 professors, and thoughtful ones that accurately describe how a given professor thinks and works is really useful to people trying to decide which professor to select.


![[-]](https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/images/collapse.png)