Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU LIB495 - No help, withdrawing from it. Thoughts?
(01-18-2022, 05:56 PM)bartlebuck Wrote:
(08-29-2019, 06:28 AM)High_Order1 Wrote:
(07-19-2019, 01:17 PM)cookderosa Wrote: A capstone will NOT require conducting original research, and since TESU isn't a research institution, there wouldn't be anyone to supervise it anyway.  Wink

When I went through TESU a couple years ago, mine did. I wound up constructing and running a survey, and interviewed several subject matter experts. I feel pretty strongly that was mandated and not me just overachieving, lol

My cohort got little instruction. They expected us to already know how to do a capstone, and just do it. I was totally lost the entire time. I did google searches for completed capstone projects, and haunted other colleges looking for their help sections on how to do it.

I was fairly successful (want to say it was 94%) but I can't say if I was pitched a softball, or my work actually was rigorous enough. Reading dozens of other papers, it at least *looks* like theirs, lol

Rereading my post before I push send, I can't stress enough how lost I felt. And, how little feedback and how long it took to get the sheepherder / class facilitator / whatever he was called to respond to even the most basic questions, which most certainly were NOT in any of his provided data. (shrugs)

And, the feedback that came with each segment was canned. No question. I think, one time it didn't even really address what I was doing LOL.

All I can offer OP is, a- hang in there. They can't eat you. b-be brief. I know about word counts, I'm telling you academics love conciseness. c-the thesis is the heart of the paper. Every individual paragraph somehow ties right back into it. If they don't mesh, adjust fire on the thesis. d-seriously, go light on filler words. Get someone else to read your stuff, and maybe add another point instead of puffing each paragraph.

Edit - yeah, they do. TESU has an IRB, and because my survey involved people, I sent them a thing.  https://www.tesu.edu/about/institutional-review-board

I just wanted to add to this thread in case any students read through it in 2022.  If anyone is nervous about taking LIB495, and perhaps not confident about your abilities to succeed, a good mentor would be Dr. Haydel. She will give you her phone number on day 1 and you are invited to call her with your questions, etc. She runs a weekly zoom call where students can bring their questions,  support one another, etc. She is an example of a prof who is very hands on. Not everyone likes that, but it's a great choice if you feel scared/lost by the prospect of a 25-40 page research paper.

25-40 pages is the current length range given in the syllabus, and original research is no longer required. Online courses have weekly discussion groups, but the general studies course replaces the weekly discussion group with a written assignment. It is the exact same question for both. The rubrics and course objectives are identical for each course as well.
I will like to add to this. If writing a big paper is making you nervous, please go with Dr.Haydel. You will get 110% her support. Plus you will receive additional help from other students on the weekly zoom. There won’t be any need to hire an outside consultant. There is no shortage of samples and examples. Also, other students will also provide you with research on your topic. Lib495 went from me being afraid to being my best ever experience.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,345 Yesterday, 11:51 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 529 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 456 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 480 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 261 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,234 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 233 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 376 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 300 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 279 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27