Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Sophia.org English Composition II -- Grader Experiences
#67
I just got an assignment back and I know it was biased. Let me first start by saying that I have gotten 100% on all my other papers. This class was US History II and the assignment was for Immigration. 

This one, I got 100% on nearly all of the sections but 2. The first was where he gave me an 85%. He said that because there was a photo called "Children at Ellis Island", even though it only showed a few kids and a bunch of adults, because the questions asked me to provide 2 events going on at that time that are related to it, which I did - I talked about the Industrial Revolution that brought all the immigrants to the US and Fords car being produced that year, because I didn't talk about kids specifically, he took off points. There is literally nothing in 1908 specifically that I can talk about in regards to children, and again - my topic was immigration. 

The other section I didn't get 100% on was a section where I put what would be considered a "political response", but again - the course was US History and the topic was Immigration. The section was 2 parts and first asked me if there were more than 2 things that led to or resulted from the topic (that I had previously written about in the previous section) that I wanted to talk about and it also asked about how I apply the skills of historical thinking regarding past immigration to my current daily life. So I answered. He gave me 50%! 50% for that section, despite it being just as well worded and long enough and thought out. Not to mention, it wasn't even a searchable section - it is literally "is there anything else I wanted to write about" (sure, which I did) and "how do I apply it to my daily life?" How can he mark that wrong as if I apply it to my daily life wrong??

His feedback was:

Medium
Thank you for your Touchstone on immigration. Some of the answers can benefit from a more consistent engagement with the course tutorials and/or a closer reading of the primary source. 


CONTEXT:
You have a very good beginning to this description. You described the event depicted in the source. The response also sets forth the source's historical context by identifying two historical developments occurring at the same time. The contextual relationship between these events and the source is mostly clear but could be improved with more elaboration in the answer. Although you have drawn connections between the chosen events and the immigration boom in that period, try to use specific evidence to show the relevance of the historical context to the photo of immigrant children in Ellis Island.
*Please tell me where you are going to find historical happenings/facts about children at Ellis Island and what was happening to them in 1908 to write about in this paper??

COMPLEXITY AND REFLECTION:
You provided general reflection on the issue, but this questions requires the identification of additional factors that led to or resulted from this event, and how you determined which events to write about.

Overall this is a good demonstration of thinking like a historian. Thank you for taking US History II!  


So my question is, how do I request someone else grade it or that he never grade it again? I really don't feel like it was graded fairly. I truly believe that he didn't agree with my political opinion on immigration since certain sides feel so polarized on it right now, and so he graded my paper with bias because he didn't like what I had to say. I felt that my paper was well thought out and the Context section was full of fact and I researched everything. I have attached it if anyone wants to see the original. I am sure it may upset some people, too, if you get upset easily based on politics, but I am hoping that you will understand that this is based on FACT and is meant to be MY opinion and how I apply it to MY daily life. That is literally the question, so I shouldn't be penalized for that.


Attached Files
.docx   Misti Teague - US History II Touchstone 4 Template (2.6.24).docx (Size: 19.49 KB / Downloads: 3)
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Sophia.org English Composition II -- Grader Experiences - by Lacedonia4 - 09-30-2020, 09:11 AM
RE: Sophia.org English Composition II -- Grader Experiences - by MistiT215 - 02-09-2024, 05:58 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What courses would you like to see on Sophia/SDC/etc? Robson 58 12,836 13 minutes ago
Last Post: LevelUP
  WARNING: Don't try and cheat on Sophia, they are suspending lots of accounts! LevelUP 26 10,785 09-25-2026, 08:16 PM
Last Post: DegreeNerd
Lightbulb New courses on Sophia daydream 3 952 08-18-2026, 08:18 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Sophia.org Membership Code - Recent bjcheung77 308 256,581 07-01-2026, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Bcopeland64
  New Sophia Courses Physics, Principles of Leadership, Digital Literacy, Intro to Ed LevelUP 5 1,242 07-01-2026, 12:09 AM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch
  ENG COMP I & II - SDC, SL or Sophia any4yeardegree 19 3,497 06-01-2026, 07:47 PM
Last Post: myriam555
  Questions about SDC, Straighterline & Sophia VanillaBean 2 1,331 04-04-2026, 04:23 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  New Sophia Course Medical Terminology Jonathan Whatley 9 3,585 03-27-2026, 11:50 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
Question Credit from services like Sophia.org with no written assignments BR3_26 3 2,458 03-12-2026, 09:15 AM
Last Post: wow
  New Sophia Course Business Data Analytics Jonathan Whatley 30 19,430 01-27-2026, 11:09 AM
Last Post: animuscerebri

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)