02-15-2024, 05:40 AM
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2024, 11:06 AM by lincolnlawyer.
Edit Reason: Updated personal background using the recommended template
)
Hi everyone,
I have been looking at an unofficial Master’s (Titulo Propio) offered by Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona for teaching purposes. https://www.uab.cat/web/postgraduate/mas...1-3092_en/
Following the advice from BJCHEUNG I’ve updated this section using the recommended format.
Because of my situation I left some parts vague to avoid the possibility of being identified.
[b]Your Location: East Asia[/b]
Your Age: 28
What kind of degree do you want?:
Accredited Master’s degree in Education/English/Communication
Current Regional Accredited Credits:
Bachelor’s Degree from National University in Japan:
129 Japanese undergraduate credits (never evaluated in the US)
LL.M. From third-tier ABA accredited US law school:
30 graduate-level credits
Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: None
[b]Any certifications or military experience? [/b]None
Budget: Under approx. $10K to complete the entire degree. The cheaper the better.
Commitments: None other than semi-full time work. I am especially free during spring and summer breaks so full-time study is not impossible.
Dedicated time to study: 20 hours per week and more during spring and summer breaks.
Timeline: As fast as possible; preferably within 12-18months.
I live outside the US and have been able to teach English as an adjunct using my Master’s. Eventually, I do want to finish a PhD and work in higher education.
Unfortunately, stipends aren’t common in PhD programs in my field, and I have been struggling to save up with my pay as an adjunct. I can live comfortably, but to save up for a PhD program will take years.
Alternatively, if I have a Master’s in Education/Communications, there are employers who are willing to take me as a full-time, non-tenured faculty.
Since I have a Master’s already, I don’t see the need to invest a whole lot in a TESOL degree via distance learning. The Spanish Titulo Propio I found was relatively cheap and can be completed within a year (approx. 11 months).
My Concerns:
1. If I decide to apply to a PhD program in the US or the UK, would this be a set back because it is a “non-official” degree? So far the discussion I’ve found is mostly on whether it would be accredited by an agency like WES, but are there any implications on the admission process?
2. If I want to continue adjunct teaching in the US, is this degree likely to be recognized?
Any thoughts or comments are much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
I have been looking at an unofficial Master’s (Titulo Propio) offered by Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona for teaching purposes. https://www.uab.cat/web/postgraduate/mas...1-3092_en/
Following the advice from BJCHEUNG I’ve updated this section using the recommended format.
Because of my situation I left some parts vague to avoid the possibility of being identified.
[b]Your Location: East Asia[/b]
Your Age: 28
What kind of degree do you want?:
Accredited Master’s degree in Education/English/Communication
Current Regional Accredited Credits:
Bachelor’s Degree from National University in Japan:
129 Japanese undergraduate credits (never evaluated in the US)
LL.M. From third-tier ABA accredited US law school:
30 graduate-level credits
Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: None
[b]Any certifications or military experience? [/b]None
Budget: Under approx. $10K to complete the entire degree. The cheaper the better.
Commitments: None other than semi-full time work. I am especially free during spring and summer breaks so full-time study is not impossible.
Dedicated time to study: 20 hours per week and more during spring and summer breaks.
Timeline: As fast as possible; preferably within 12-18months.
I live outside the US and have been able to teach English as an adjunct using my Master’s. Eventually, I do want to finish a PhD and work in higher education.
Unfortunately, stipends aren’t common in PhD programs in my field, and I have been struggling to save up with my pay as an adjunct. I can live comfortably, but to save up for a PhD program will take years.
Alternatively, if I have a Master’s in Education/Communications, there are employers who are willing to take me as a full-time, non-tenured faculty.
Since I have a Master’s already, I don’t see the need to invest a whole lot in a TESOL degree via distance learning. The Spanish Titulo Propio I found was relatively cheap and can be completed within a year (approx. 11 months).
My Concerns:
1. If I decide to apply to a PhD program in the US or the UK, would this be a set back because it is a “non-official” degree? So far the discussion I’ve found is mostly on whether it would be accredited by an agency like WES, but are there any implications on the admission process?
2. If I want to continue adjunct teaching in the US, is this degree likely to be recognized?
Any thoughts or comments are much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!


![[-]](https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/images/collapse.png)