Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change
The decision starts with the faculty of arts and sciences council putting it on the agenda to bring it to a vote for the name change. All of HES administration claims to be supportive of it, but to quote Coleman in my final meeting with her as HESA President, she said she would not go before the FAS Council because she thought it would "hurt our cause" whatever that means, and that there are proper channels and other avenues to pursue this. I asked her why she allowed me to send over 10,000 postcards on my dime (HESA budgets can't be used for protest efforts which means the president usually befalls any costs of one) to the Board Of Overseers, FAS Council, and Harvard Corporation if she knew it would be ineffective (which I don't think it was), and what the proper channels would be- she ignored that in person question and multiple follow up emails (2) about the matter. We need more HES grads on the Board of Overseers and in it for the long haul to really take this out, but with the recent election drama I feel that HES administration is not too pleased about how hard I fought for this among other things. They have delayed the election during which I was meant to be replaced in May, until October, shut down our summer events despite being informed we'd be holding them, and have seemed against us from my perspective. They are now doing a Roundtable and painting HESA as having been some bad entity, when unlike the other schools, they don't even recognize us as the official student government. It's frustrating.

Every year the idea of a lawsuit comes up, but I don't think we have enough on HES to bring a case, Additionally, people tend to graduate and let this issue go, other people burn out, some folks are ignorant to the naming conventions and others don't care. Add the fact that any attorney I get would go up against Harvard attorneys, we can't legally fundraise according to the charter, whoever would be president would have to pay for all of this. The odds are stacked against us.

I don't know what the alternative is- but I'm proud of what I was able to do this year and the exposure we got for HESA and my protest efforts. I don't intend to give up any time soon, but to say it's been an exhausting and interesting/special year is putting it mildly. I did everything I could- and I need to be satisfied with that. Sorry for any typos.
Harvard Extension School- HESA President- 2024
ENEB- Dual Master in MBA/Human Resources- 2025
O.P. Jindal Global University- MA in International Relations, Security, and Strategy-2025
Harvard Uni-Ext. School- ALM in English,Cert. in American Lit. and Culture- 2024
Harvard Uni- Kennedy School of Gov.- PLC- Public Leadership Credential-2023
Bottega Uni- MBA-Feb. 2022
Kennesaw State Uni- BA English-Dec. 2021
Charter Oak State College- BS/AS Psychology- 2013
[-] The following 2 users Like collegecareerstudent's post:
  • Dang82, Jonathan Whatley
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change - by collegecareerstudent - 09-10-2024, 03:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Degree in Math - What is the best route for one course at a time? udi 8 1,130 09-25-2026, 11:12 PM
Last Post: DegreeNerd
  NEW Univ of Virginia - Master of Change Management smartdegree 0 694 08-07-2026, 03:43 PM
Last Post: smartdegree
  Carolina University - Cheap Accredited MA degree FireMedic_Philosopher 8 1,816 07-18-2026, 06:10 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Newlane University Planning Graduate Degree WALLACEMC11 14 2,479 07-14-2026, 07:11 AM
Last Post: sal1820
  Harvard Extension Data Science, Digital Media Design ALMs Renamed to Include AI Jonathan Whatley 0 1,309 06-10-2026, 10:39 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Harvard Kennedy School 10-Year Plan Eyes Increasing Online Programs Jonathan Whatley 0 1,043 06-06-2026, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Quick Master's Degree Advice Dnightowl 7 1,490 05-24-2026, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Stonybeach
  Harvard Graduate Poetry Classes Still $250 Per Class for Teachers.Epstein Connections eriehiker 8 2,783 05-11-2026, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch
  Mahatma Gandhi University Online MBA and Master Degree durain 9 1,747 05-02-2026, 11:14 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Next Steps After UMPI: Considering Law School CFPhopeful 6 1,594 03-10-2026, 10:02 AM
Last Post: RbxFunRocks

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)