Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
UMUC - What's with the name?
#11
I started and finished my degree in Europe. For some reason, the European division doesn't offer the IA degree. When I started, there was an "IA track" that went along with the IFSM degree, but UMUC Europe eventually did away with it. I never thought to check UMUC Stateside or Asia to see if they had different degree programs.

After looking over the IA degree requirements, I see that the IA degree is more structured. The IA degree requires a capstone course, while the IFSM degree doesn't. Also, the IA degree is more specific in the required courses, while the IFSM degree gives you the liberality of taking different IFSM, CMIS, CMIT, CMSC, or CMST courses.

If I could do it all again, not to mention if I knew about it, I would have done the IA degree. The IFSM degree allowed me to take courses that I liked. I took network security classes vice planning and policy classes. Looking back, I should have take more of the IFSM courses that are specified in the IA degree. But then again, the IFSM courses that I liked where being offered face to face, while the other IA specified IFSM courses were only being offered online. On the other hand, the IA IFSM courses would have probably better prepared me for graduate school, but at that time I had it in my mind that I wanted to first start off with a technical job and later on decide if I wanted to move up to a management job. I'm pretty sure I'll do a second bachelors to prep me for grad school. If so, I'll do those IFSM courses and get the IA degree. But then again, I'm still very undecided. I might just forget the masters and do a bunch of certs.

Well, I hope you have a clearer idea of what it is that you want do.
B.S. Information Systems Management, UMUC - DONE!
Reply


Messages In This Thread
UMUC - What's with the name? - by HawkGuy - 11-24-2008, 04:20 PM
UMUC - What's with the name? - by categ - 11-24-2008, 05:12 PM
UMUC - What's with the name? - by HawkGuy - 11-24-2008, 05:28 PM
UMUC - What's with the name? - by PeteDude - 11-24-2008, 05:57 PM
UMUC - What's with the name? - by matt - 11-26-2008, 08:43 AM
UMUC - What's with the name? - by cookderosa - 11-26-2008, 09:31 AM
UMUC - What's with the name? - by HawkGuy - 11-26-2008, 04:49 PM
UMUC - What's with the name? - by cookderosa - 11-26-2008, 10:28 PM
UMUC - What's with the name? - by Gonzo - 11-30-2008, 11:53 AM
UMUC - What's with the name? - by matt - 11-30-2008, 12:32 PM
UMUC - What's with the name? - by Gonzo - 11-30-2008, 05:41 PM
UMUC - What's with the name? - by matt - 12-01-2008, 07:44 PM
UMUC - What's with the name? - by peppamint - 12-02-2008, 11:18 AM
UMUC - What's with the name? - by lovetheduns - 12-03-2008, 12:04 AM
UMUC - What's with the name? - by lrgaul - 12-03-2008, 11:53 PM
UMUC - What's with the name? - by lovetheduns - 12-04-2008, 11:00 PM
UMUC - What's with the name? - by creationstory - 12-31-2008, 07:57 AM
UMUC - What's with the name? - by Zombie - 05-20-2013, 01:53 AM
UMUC - What's with the name? - by scorched - 05-20-2013, 11:27 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Done (for this semester) and tip for UMUC students matt 0 1,600 12-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Last Post: matt
  Ramstein UMUC Kenneth 3 3,319 11-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Last Post: sada112

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)